tuscl

Will We Go Extinct?

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
Hell yes!

Abso-fuckin’-lutely!

Homo sapiens will definitely be extinct some day.

We could be extinct pretty soon or it might take a long time, but all species eventually die out. There is no reason to believe we will be the exception.

Some fear we will be extinct in the relatively near future - maybe within a few hundred years. It is certainly possible. We are doing a fantastic job of destroying the environment on the only planet we know of where we can survive. Between environmental spoilage and the increasing risk of concomitant nuclear self-immolation provoked by climate change induced famines and massive population displacement, there are solid reasons to doubt our species will survive its technological adolescence. We may soon add our own voice to the deafening silence that is the hallmark of a cosmos bereft of technological civilizations.

But the cosmos is a very exciting place. There are so many other ways we can become extinct.

A planetary catastrophe, regardless whether man-made or arising from natural forces beyond our control, could eliminate our species with total finality. We could prove to be an evolutionary dead end leaving no descendants whatever.

But even if we survive our technological adolescence and survive for a protracted period, Homo sapiens will still become extinct. There is no question about it.

We are descended from Australopithecus afarensis. But Australopithecus afarensis is, nevertheless, extinct. Evolution has no ultimate goal or ambition. Nor does it stop. If we survive long enough, our remote descendants will be too unlike us to be considered Homo sapiens just as we too unlike Australopithecus afarensis to be considered members of that now extinct species.

But even if we do have descendants in the remote future, there is no guarantee our distant descendants will be a space-faring interplanetary species. Whether by natural or man-made environmental destruction, our technological house of cards could come tumbling down. In that case, we might revert to living the same sort of short, brutish, lifestyles on the knife edge of extinction (like most of our ancestors did).

And evolution will continue to mold us.

Rather than being an interplanetary species riding unimaginable technologies across interstellar space, it is equally likely (maybe even more likely) that our remote ancestors might be like tarsiers perched high in the canopy of a future rain forest on an unrecognizable planet Earth, eating insects in the night, blissfully unaware of the stars overhead while awaiting the next cosmic cataclysm.

https://www.tuscl.net/photo.php?id=2403

17 comments

• MackTruck
    5 years ago
    How do we go extinct if we don't exist?
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    " Australopithecus afarensis " Had to look that one up.

Yes, we will go extinct. But not in my lifetime !
  • loper
    5 years ago
    What if we can someday transfer our consciousness into a machine? Or what if we can manipulate our own genetic code so that we are optimal for our environment, whatever it ends up being?
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Given that most progressives are young and haven't lived much, it would be funny if it happened this decade. Lets have a no nuclear war in the middle East. On the beach is a good read.
  • 48-Cowboy
    5 years ago
    True cowboys are becoming extinct. We need more chuckwagon dinners
  • 48-Cowboy
    5 years ago
    Who is Commie Trump? Is that person related to Donnald Trump
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Loper,

“Or what if we can manipulate our own genetic code so that we are optimal for our environment, whatever it ends up being?”

Great idea! Let’s all become tardigrades!
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    What is sad is progressives using snot nosed kids to get media attention for their causes.
  • Studme53
    5 years ago
    Maybe in a billion years or so
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    The progenitors of the Council of Ricks called it in the Fall of 1943, hairless apes are an evolutionary dead end. Our heads are too big, so we have to be born prematurely. No room for further evolutionary progress.

So the Ricks are now destined to succeed us.

SJG

James Carville
    http://carville.info/
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    “Alas, the time is coming when man will no longer give birth to a star. Alas, the time of the most despicable man is coming, he that is no longer able to despise himself. Behold, I show you the last man.

“‘What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?’ thus asks the last man, and he blinks.

“The earth is small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small. His race is as ineradicable as the flea-beetle; the last man lives longest.

“‘We have invented happiness,’ say the last men, and they blink. They have left the regions where it was hard to live, for one needs warmth. One still loves one’s neighbor and rubs against him, for one needs warmth.

https://www.newcriterion.com/issues/1991…

And Rick Dugan is that Last Man. When I first joined this forum I did not understand what the issue was.

https://www.tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=…

SJG
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    I have not read any of this thread, but I do know one thing for certain... this PERVERTED PIECE OF SHIT MONGER will eventually become extinct and will become such long before the rest of my kind do. Guess what... I honestly don’t give two shits what happens to the rest of you fucks after I’m extinct.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I think horseshoe crabs have not changed or evolved in 10’s of millions of years, so if they have stopped evolving they must be perfectly suited for whatever it is they do. They have blue blood ( related to John Kerry) and are only threatened by man. There are some natural predators but they get along quite well. The question about homo sapiens’ extinction should be expanded to include all life, I suppose. When the mile wide asteroid plows into the Pacific Ocean, that’ll be a good start. That’ll make climate change look like a pimple on the ass of a stegosaurus ( oh, they’re extinct, too. When did that happen?)
    The good reverend hornibastard - your writings have gotten very philosophical lately. I liked it better when you wrote about Asian poon-tang. Can’t you put on your thinking cap and fill our minds with visions of subservient women begging to fulfill our every fantasy?
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Gawker,

You want stories about Asian poontang?

I do have some of those.

I’ll share a few soon.
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    Gawking ape, rickthehorseshoe crab has a bone to pick with you. Just go to the Maryland shore and look for the chelicerate wearing a suit and telling sexy hairless apes in bikinis that he’s a chemical engineer. Then strike up a conversation. AFTER he’s had his way with a bikini ape, of course. ROAR!!!
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    The Ricks seek to bring about total anarchy, including driving under the influence.

SJG

Kushner, Inc.: Greed. Ambition. Corruption. The Extraordinary Story of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump

Of course the Ricks don't think it matters who wins elections and what directions national policies go. They seek destruction. And they aren't really alive in the first place.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/57/ac/9c/57ac9…

The Ricks wait for the Imperial Overlord. But they know that this is also what the hairless apes wait for.
  • 48-Cowboy
    5 years ago
    If Trump and all the Deplorables went extinct tomorrow --- you'd see a sad in America that would last for 10 years straight :-) because there would be no dicks to suck :-(
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion