tuscl

bathroom remodeling question

gothamyte
from that Adam Westsiiiide of Gotham
Monday, July 29, 2019 2:17 PM
so, i'm getting a professional bathroom remodeling company to come out to where i live to fix my leaky bathroom and possibly remodel it. i mentioned it to my housemates and of course, they want the estimator now to come check on their bathrooms too. so i had to call the company back to include their bathroom,. now that they may want to remodel their bathrooms too. my housemates are thinking we can all share the bill. i'm against this. i'm thinking: hey, let's see how this company (that we haven't used before) does with this one bathroom--my bathroom first that i'm paying for since it's my bathroom. i don't want whomever they send over to be saddled with possible fixing more than 1 bathroom at one time and getting sloppy. let's have this bathroom tech focus on 1 thing. what say y'all? this company did say they give discounts when they do multiple bathrooms at once, tho. but i don't care...

10 comments

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    If you get involved it will be like herding cats, do you own this property ?
  • gothamyte
    5 years ago
    i don't own it. but my bathroom is a mess and it needs to be remodeled. and i don't like using other folks bathrooms or having to use the gym bathroom because mine sucks. so i don't care, i'll pay for it--just my bathroom. i'll remodel it and make it look nice. i can't invite chicks to my bathroom, it's a disgusting warzone. i'm just wondering if anyone else been down this road, what's better when it comes to a company remodeling something in a house: having them do multiple jobs at once or having them focus on one job at once?
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    As a GC I can focus on more than one job at a time, problem arises when you try to be the GC, conflicts arise and as a self directed project you won't have access to the resources, to deal with the problems that arise. Best to take care of your own project, be sure the contract specifies both a start date and penalties, if completion isn't done on time, or you could be looking at endless punch lists.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Where will you and your housemates live during the month that every bathroom is being remodeled and unusable ? Seriously, one bathroom at a time.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    This is a topic that, as far as I know, has never been discussed on TUSCL before.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Make sure they crazyjoe proof it and upgrade the plumbing
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    WTF do you mean by “housemates”. Are these people that you mate with on occasion? Is this a bathhouse that you all live in?
  • Longball300
    5 years ago
    Yes, there are some cost savings if the contractor does more than one at a time and yes he can work on one at a time such that they are not all out of commission at once. Check with Homeadvisor, Thumbtack or Angies List for some reviews and ask to see pictures of the contractors work. As far as not owning the property... check with the owner and if they do not want to pony up for the cost of the reno maybe at the least strike a 50/50 deal with them since it is increasing the value of their property.
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    Probably only going to save any real money if you use similar design and same materials for all the bathrooms, ie bulk pricing on tile, thinset, fixtures, etc. then contractor can really crank em out. Good luck getting everyone to agree on a format though. Id worry about your own first and foremost
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    And yeah talk to the landlord about some kind of reimbursement.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion