tuscl

Common web site internal 500 error server messages?

Is anyone else experiencing common hang ups/delays or 500 internal server errors messages while on TUSCL? I keep getting these messages more than I don't it seems lately. Either that or the site hangs what seems like an eternity (probably only a few minutes to change screens) but I have a high speed connection. This is the slowest site on the entire internet I visit.

14 comments

• DougS
    18 years ago
    I don't know what the cause of the problems are, but I get the error here VERY frequently. Some of the errors appear to be query / SQL errors, which might indicate that Founder is in the process of working on enhancements.

Whatever the cause, it can be VERY annoying. I am also on a highspeed connection, but that appears lost on this site, where it's common to have to sit and wait for a page to display.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    18 years ago
    I too, having been getting the same errors, usually occuring at night time. Could the SERVER unit be over loading?
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    Couldn't even get the web site to load up an hour or so ago. Seems to be working pretty good at the moment though. I'll see if that continues.
  • minnow
    18 years ago
    I got message for quite a time on Wed late afternoon. I could bring up glossary, faq, and basic map only(no db, or club details).
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    Didn't get a message tonight but the site was pretty slow at times.
  • founder
    17 years ago
    Sorry about the errors. There is a big change planned for tuscl. You will see it sometime in April.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    Founder: I'm looking forward to seeing what changes we can expect in April! Any chance you can share with us some insider knowledge on what we can expect?
  • founder
    17 years ago
    I am re-writing it from the ground up in a different language. It should be easier to use. The hot list will have more features. Ranking/Rating is being replaced with something more meaningful. Club discussions will be threaded like the discussion board. I'm sure some people will hate it, but I think it will be more streamlined and easier to use.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    Founder: Sounds great! Can't wait! As an IT professional, I'm curious... what language are you using for the re-write? VB .Net. perhaps?
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    That would be great to get rid of all the long delays. If the delay is too long, I tend to ignore this site until it seems to be working again.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    I get an odd "delay" that happens if I let a page lie idle for a while.

For example:
    time-index 1. visit http://www.tuscl.com/login.asp
    time-index 2. type ID and PW info and click "log in" button.
    result: rapid response.

But:
    time-index 1. visit http://www.tuscl.com/login.asp
    time-index 2. doorbell rings. I answer it.
    time-index 17. I return to my web browser, type my ID and PW.
    result: very slow response.

Fixes:
    A. At time-index 3 (upon returning to the browser) hit "reload page" before clicking a link on the page. This will cause the initial page (login.asp) to "re-establish" itself in the computer's more recent memory, thereby making it "more live" than if it had sat idel.
    B. At time-index 3, open a new browser window and follow any link on it. This will somehow cause the browser itself to "re-establish" itself, as above, thereby making most pages in it "more live" similarly.
    C. At time-index 3, click "back" and then, immediately, "forward." This is almost identical to fix A.

I'm sorry for the complicated descriptions. I can't figure a more straightforward way to explain it. But, basically, a web page "sitting still" (even if I'm typing in the text box) will "time out" such that the buttons "die of boredom." So, I have to "re-invigorate" the whole page before its buttons will act right.

See what I mean? Anyone else have this?
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    * idle
    not idel
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I'll let you figure it out. I'm off to look at some titties.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I tried refresh, that seemed to work.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion