tuscl

The Life of Kids Today

san_jose_guy
money was invented for handing to women, but buying dances is a chump's game
Things have changed. I had noticed this long before, but I am still taken by it.

I said to someone recently that kids "live under the whip". I meant the children of the well off, because of the private tutors and the pressure to do well in school.

But kids don't seem to walk to school anymore. They don't really seem to play in the streets either.

What they do is adult supervised now.

So there is fear of strangers, and I think this is grossly exagerated, and that it is not good.

But seems like bullying is greatly lessened.

I'm not taking sides here, not saying these changes are good or bad. It does though make me wonder what were the real social origins of the world which I grew up in and just accepted as normal and unavoidable.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

SJG

8 comments

• Spillthebeans
    5 years ago
    YOU ARE NOT VERY IN TOUCH !!!! Cyberbullying, social media shaming, internet predators just to name a few of the dangers today's youth face in the comfort of their own rooms. Add to that liberals making protecting our children tougher with bullshit excessive force protests and lawsuits and you have the recipe for no fear from the bad guys.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Cyberbullying, social media shaming, and internet predators predators are nothing like the kinds of f2f bullying which I saw as common.

Again though, in opening this thread, I am not talking any positions.

SJG
  • Spillthebeans
    5 years ago
    F2F Bullyings were always risking a good ass kicking. They never knew who had had enough. Today, they hide behind a user name in their parents home.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    But cyberbullying is far easier to just evade, opt out of.

Is there less f2f bullying today? Are kids under more adult supervision today?

Do people think these changes are better?

SJG

Grass Roots - Greatest Hits
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOIV4RR…
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I’ve been observing adolescents for more than 50 years and issues may change their appearance but they generally are the same issues. The prevalence of drugs and the casual nature of sex are the two issues I’ve seen have the most impact on youth. My children ( now in their 40’s) spent summers in a beach resort area and would play outside until you couldn’t see outside. My daughter snuck out of her hotel room in a Mexican resort at age 16 to meet a 20 year old guy she met at the pool. She thought we didn’t know until she told us 20 years later and was somewhat crestfallen when told that we knew all along but trusted her. Family mattered then as it matters today.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Gawker, thank you for weighing in. Do you think children are more supervised today, and so then that there is less bullying.

Do you think things are better or worse today?

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I think children live in a very different world today than I did.

Do they play outside in the street? In parks, in whatever nearby hills or anything they can find?

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    To me, it looks like children live in a world with much more adult supervision. As I see it, that would really change things.

SJG

"Congress has been more than willing to provide resources and to work with you, Mr. Secretary, to address the security and humanitarian concerns and, at this point, with five children dead and 5,000 separated from their families, this is intentional. It's a policy choice being made on purpose by this administration, and it's cruel and inhumane."

video of exchange
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congres…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion