tuscl

Dancers Suing Their Club

jsully63
Smoke em if you got them
Friday, March 29, 2019 9:53 AM
I go this club frequently and I’ve heard plenty of dancers complain about how managers treat them including managers trying to force the girls to fuck them. Guess a few had enough. This is the second time dancers have brought a lawsuit against the club. First time they win an undisclosed settlement

https://patch.com/massachusetts/peabody/…

17 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    IDK the specifics of these lawsuits but they seem to be a money-grab and seemingly winning on some kinda technicality - strip clubs ate not loke other businesses and these girls know the deal going in and still choose to work there - seems the alternative of being hourly employees would be worse and seems most dsncers would nit want that.

After all the lawsuits that have occurred IDK how ckubs are still putting themselves in a position to be sued.
  • gammanu95
    5 years ago
    The article pointed out that the womens' attorney has a track record of filing such suits against strip clubs. That's one way to succeed in business: find a niche and mine the hell out of it.
  • 501traveler
    5 years ago
    Another ambulance chasing attorney. Figures he got the club to settle the first lawsuit, so why not find some new clients and try ring the cash bell again.
    All clubs have a house fee when the dancers are independent contractors and all dancers tip the DJ and bouncers. They may not be mandated to, but know its part of the business. It help to keep those folks on their side with song selection, walking them to their car, etc.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    I’ve had jobs that I didn’t like. Didn’t like my boss, or didn’t like the work, or thought I was underpaid. It never occurred to me to sue I just left and found a better job.
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    Well, if it violates the law, it violates the law. And if they actually are being sexually harassed at work, their status as employees versus independent contractors is irrelevant.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    I think we'll see more of this as dancing loses some of its stigma and dancers start feeling more empowered via activism, etc
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ they may end up killing the goose
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Or clubs may finally stop feeling like they're above the law and start running legit businesses.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    No mention in the article about harassment.

And if clubs followed the law to a tee many of us wouldn't be visiting.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Clubs were more expensive in the 90s, less bang for the buck and there were more of them and dancers earned more...
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Running a "tight ship" often means less fun which often means less $$$.

Look at Penthouse Detroit, it's fallen off a cliff where it's hardly reviewed anymore where at one time it was one of the most popular clubs in the country and perhaps the most popular club in Detroit - all the while Flight Club in nearby Inkster is thriving and girls banking.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Thriving by illicit means isn't really thriving... the authorities eventually catch feelings.
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    On the one hand, it's definitely true that dancers are often treated atrocious, from sexual harassment to all kinds of schemes to illegally take their wages in some way or other. On the other hand, I have never -- never, not once -- seen one of these lawsuits where the dancers who stayed didn't get fucked pretty good due to new rules put in place. In 100% of cases, if they lose the lawsuit, the club just changes the structure of the contract to continue getting the exact same amount; active strippers can either live with their lower income, or try to regain their previous incomes by charging more (which isn't feasible in many markets) or doing extras.

In any case, these always end up in worse working conditions for the active strippers and customers. The retired strippers do get a payout. In at least one case, a stripper had told me "Cinnamon is going to screw the club when she retires, it's part of her exit strategy", and indeed, that's what she did.

Removing issues of fairness, etc., the bottom line is, active strippers and their customers always end up with a worse experience after the lawsuit; the club shoots to keep their income the same. This is true of every single one of the handful of lawsuits I've seen her, and seems to be true of every one I've read about.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Then that just means the suit didn't go far enough
  • K
    5 years ago
    Strip club managers are not known for being bright but it isn't hard to do. These clubs could spend a few hundred on a one or two hour meeting with a lawyer and set things up so they would never have to deal with this crap. It is more than a signed contract but not much more. The club will not lose a penny other than what they spent on the lawyer
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Owners do that, most just don't care and try to milk the club for all they can.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    This club has been there for quite awhile and has a reputation with dancers as a difficult place to work, but one that can be a fairly lucrative club, compared to others nearby. My ATF danced here for several months and said if you got the prime shifts you’d make bank, but when things were slow she’d work a full shift for pocket change.
    She didn’t find the male employees at work to be any more predatory than most other clubs. She felt any experienced dancer could handle things but could see how some newbies might be intimidated.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion