tuscl

How some clubs are exploiting customers.

Riad
North Carolina
Respected Senior members, I have been relying on your invaluable information for visiting any Strip club for few years now. This is me writing something in Internet for the first time in my life. I wanted to start a discussion on how some dancers at Platinum West in Columbia, SC are charging $40 and above for just a single song. I have nothing against the club but the girls say that they have to give the guy at the door of the private room $5 and that is why they are charging us all more than $40 per song. I have been to top end clubs which have very sexy dancers giving LD for $20 or at the most $30 but these dancers here in PW are not even 5 or 6 on the scale of 10. Is this common in states where there are not many options for people who visit strip clubs.

41 comments

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ complain to the managers those dancers are just fuckn greedy, I’d never pay that.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    Go to a different club. Tits are tits. Find a club that is more affordable. SERIOUSLY!
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    Don’t even complain. Just fucking move on.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Exactly. If they charged that they'd get $0 from me.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ you’re not right if he doesn’t says anything there’s a good chance management has no idea this is going on, if he says something and they do nothing about it then it’s time for him to beat feet.
  • Riad
    6 years ago
    Sir, I wanted to talk(not complaining) about this, because I guess these dancers know that there are no other options in Columbia, SC area. They are simply exploiting and I thought I should hare this information as I have gained so much from seniors here in TUSCL.
  • doctorevil
    6 years ago
    Riad: Thanks for the info. You write as if you may be from outside the U.S. If so, they may be trying to exploit that. Anyway, there is absolutely no reason to pay $40 for a dance, unless that includes extras.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    For $40 you can get a HJ in St. Louis, $60 a BJ, $100 to $250 FS. Just saying.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    The South Carolina club scene appears to have been decimated - perhaps lack of competition or other factors are causing the price to be so high - often times clubs set a price and most dancers stick to it - could be the club is charging the dancers up the ass to work there and thus the high dance prices.

There are many areas/clubs w/ $30 and $40 (and sometimes $50) dance prices - not much you can do except not get the service - or you can try to negotiate w/ a dancer and tell her you'll do multiple dances like 2-for-$50 - the problem with multiple dances is that you still end up paying a lot (vs a getting just one dance), and if the dancer sucks then your stuck getting 2-dances from her (or you can say you'll do one for $40 and if you like it then you'll do two total and pay $50 for the two - but you have to get her to agree to that upfront).
  • reverendhornibastard
    6 years ago
    The standard rate for a lap dance in my stomping grounds has been $20 ever since the early 1980s.

Assuming a $20 price in 1980, then after adjusting for inflation a comparable lap dance in 2019 should cost around $61.

See: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com

It’s like a miracle that they’re still around $20!

Thank God for the Cubans!

But lap dances in 1980 were mostly air. They were nothing like what you get in 2019. They’re so much better now and still incredibly cheap!

I love that the price of lap dances has changed very little. But if the prices do go up (and they eventually will) you have to put things in their proper perspective.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    A lot of clubs take a cut of the dance cost - in South FL dances are $25 where the dancer gives $5 to the house per dance (in some areas of the country the club takes a bigger cut) - but in South FL it's understood the customer pays $25 and the dancer keeps $20, the dancers rarely use that lame excuse of having to charge more b/c the club takes $5, but some do, but dancers that do this are usually just greedy ROBs.

Could be as doctorevil mentioned that the dancers see you as gullible and are taking advantage of your lack of experience.

In strip clubs one has to have some kind of a spine and not just let the dancers call all the shots - you are the one paying - learn to negotiate for a better price and if they don't budge then it's up to you whether you want to pay up - I would think at those prices they would not be selling too many dances.

Some guys in South Carolina will make a road-trip to Atlanta and club there - Follies is a great club and only $10 per dance (and dances are good w/ plenty of dancers) - Follies is best on dayshift/afternoon.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    From a recent review of the club:

indyman
    North Carolina

Great visit
    February 21, 2019

I have always had good luck at this club but did not know what to expect after reading some bad or lukewarm reviews. As many have said the facilities are nice, parking is plentiful and staff is friendly enough. Music is too loud however and smoke can be almost as bad as the old Platinum. Not like the old days with 2 for 30 but i was able to get 2 for 50 and sometimes 2 for 40. I went back with four different girls and had good experiences with all of them. Lap dance room is busy but can feel private if you get the right spot. Girls did not break any rules but gave a good grind and allowed touching up top. Last girl gave 5 for 100 - she was great - i would have gone for another 100 if i had the cash. She was older but fit - dark hair and perfect body. Wish i had a name - it was one of those names like Passion that are easy to forget. Hope to get an excuse to get back there.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    There are 2 problems here. This is now a Deja VU club. It and it's sister clubs in Columbia and Greenville and Allentown PA used to be Platinum Plus clubs. The second problem is that the Columbia club burned down. So now there is no competition. I met a dancer at Follies a month ago that has worked at the Columbia and west Columbia clubs but quit because she couldn't make enough money. At $10 a dance she was doing a lot better at Follies.

I still have a lifetime membership card for all of the PP clubs. I don't know if Deja Vu will still accept it but I quit going to their clubs after the change in ownership. Lower mileage and higher prices is a turn off. I won't do it.
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    Sounds like your only options are club elsewhere or try to negotiate if it's slow.
  • Liwet
    6 years ago
    OP needs to negotiate up front and turn down any offers he doesn't like.
  • Riad
    6 years ago
    Its not that I am naive but the girls in this club are just taking advantage of no nearby competition. I been to Strip clubs in Florida, Texas, California, etc.,. So I am not here complaining but just sharing information.
  • K
    6 years ago
    "But lap dances in 1980 were mostly air. They were nothing like what you get in 2019" That may be true in some areas but I was not getting air dances in 1980. I think a new topic instead of derailing this one...
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Riad, then just don't buy lapdances from them. Simple. It sounds like the girls are playing you because they sense weakness. Learn to smile, be calm and negotiate and you'll probably get where you want to. I have no doubt that in a small southern city like Columbia SC they aren't selling many $40 LDs. It's been a while, but t he last time I was in Platinum West the girls were quick to offer dance deals.

Using words like "taking advantage" is kinda' silly in the context of whether or not to buy a LD. We usually reserve that kind of allegation for people who hold monopoly power over things like food, medicine or other life essentials. Nobody needs a lapdance.
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    @reverend- Which places in the 80's charged $20 for lapdances ? While it was true that very few clubs offered that back then, there were a fair number of nude clubs that offered $10 air dances. When lap dances took hold in the 90's, $10 topless was the norm in a lot of places, with only the higher end places charging $20 for topless dance. Nude contact dances were $20 in some places. It's no news flash that many mongers are getting more bang for their bucks now vs 20 plus years ago.

Still, as OP points out it's hard to justify $40 plus on dances with so many other places charging $20 for same thing. Inflation calculator from 90's would seem to rationalize $20 topless norm, with $40 being the high end. Columbia SC doesn't strike me as high end. Good luck, OP, in dealing with situation. Deja Vu has a penchant for setting up shop in locales with little or no meaningful competition. No doubt they adjust their business model accordingly.
  • Prim0
    6 years ago
    I always thought $20 a dance felt.....right ($10 would be better for the 3 min dances). Hell, we get our cash from the machine in $20 bills. You tip $1 at the rail for basically a close look....why not $20 for some touching and rubbing up close with some privacy? Once it went up to $25 and $30 then it involved getting change and crap.....a hassle at a time you don't want to be hassled.

Central Ohio clubs started charging like $30 and $35 and I pretty much stopped going. Sure they have 2 for 1s but those just made me feel like a cheepskate and gave you no time prior to talk to the lady. What sounds better......5 for $100 or 3 for $105? Inflation aside, how much is a little grinding worth? Now, if you get into extra services, then you can tip for that.

Anyhow....my2 cents.
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    I would feel frustrated if the only clubs near me overcharged. I probably wouldn't club at all. Part of what got me to buy my first lap dance was back then you could get 2 fo $20 (which finally died about a year ago and now single dances are 20 and VIP is 5 for 100)
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    Interesting, one thing I'm used to is clubs posting dance prices on a wall, or menu, or you being told prices by the door person.

What I hate are cover charges....when you're looking at $40 or so, and then expensive drinks. At some places, you can easily spend $200 plus on just drinks. One club I loved that shut down, started charging $30 entry and a 2 drink minimum you had to buy as soon as you walked in. So you were out $90 as soon as you walked in. Didn't last long....it was trying to be a locals' club and did that!
  • Cristobal
    6 years ago
    The solution is to boycott clubs which overcharge and express it to as many people as possible.

It seems like you are expressing it but are you boycotting the club?
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    If the club is Deja Vu owned then likely they are fucking over the dancers with fees which in turn means the dancers will fuck over the custies to make enough $$$.

Dancers are not running a charity and they'll want to make good $$$ to put up with being groped.
  • Cristobal
    6 years ago
    Spearmint Rhino COI drastically raised their prices because of laws regarding part time employees versus independent contractors, so I'm boycotting.

There are plenty of clubs that didn't change their prices.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Papi - There is no "if" about it.

https://dejavu.com/south-carolina/
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Strip clubs are always expensive. But you shouldn't be using them for regular sexual gratification anyway. And buying dances is a chump's game.

Identify the girl you like, approach her and display generosity. Continue to demonstrate generosity. Get to know her and let a front room makeout session ensue. Then when it is time for your own pants to come down, you invite her to the back room. Then take her home with you and continue to see her regularly.

Sure this exercise has cost some money, and there will probably be continuing costs. But you selected the girl yourself, and now you are pumping loads into her and waking up with her in the mornings regularly. No need to visit strip clubs very often.

SJG

ROLLING STONES HEARTBREAKER
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDlcwU-…
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^^ Remember, in most countries other than the US, well off guys keep mistresses.

SJG
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    I'd word it differently but SJG is right... Keeping a mistress is better than sugaring or prostitution if you want to take that route.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^ How would you word it, curious to know?

SJG
  • Cristobal
    6 years ago
    I know I'm going to regret this:

What is the benefit of a mistress?

What if you prefer to see as many women as possible, maybe a different girl every week?

What if you like getting lap dances?

My point is everyone is different, what works for one PL might not work or even interest another PL.
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    SJG, I think what you're referring to isn't prostitution nor having a mistress in the traditional sense. I think people in the US don't realize the class distinctions that exist. I think in non white, urban settings the expectation that a man shows he cares by providing for a woman is still prevalent. You even see it in communities like the Iranian Americans, where women expect a guy to give them money, pay a bill, etc. Its a sign that he's committed and cares. Where as white middle class norms focus on gender equality and women are more prone to prostitute themselves for things rather than engage in traditional roles.
  • reverendhornibastard
    6 years ago
    @minnow - In all the clubs in Houston where I was first introduced to lap dances during the 1980s the dancers routinely charged $20 per song.

That’s still the going rate in the Houston area after all these years.

I rarely go to strip clubs when I’m traveling, but on those rare occasions, I have encountered places in smaller communities where they charge as little as $10 per song.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Reverend:

Lap Dancing started at SF MBOT, in the 1970's. It meant lap sitting, all front room, and by agreement of the dancers, $1 per minute.

What also went along with it varied widely. No FS. But most anything else could be possible with some girls. DFKing not standard, but common.

Booths and back room came in later, after Jim and Artie had eliminated the legal risks, it was then that the Mafia came in, followed by DV. Booths and back rooms often do not increase the mileage or the quality, just the costs.

Cristobal wrote, "What is the benefit of a mistress?"

Well, lap dances are a gimick, a way the girl can engage with you, maybe make you cum, but without having to lower her own emotional barriers. You talk about as many girls as possible, well unless the girls are really opening themselves up to you, that number then remains at zero.

Being able to have what you want when you want it is of course desirable. But usually it is not practical.

Often on the first meeting with a girl, say in a sex work situation, she will go the extra distance and let it be fully GFE. She is doing this because she knows that if it is the first time, then you are seeing her as a whole person, not as a sex service provider. So it can be mind blowing.

But if you then try to put her on a shelf and not see her for 6 weeks, probably next time it will be just service by the book.

Girls learn how to do such service, by dissociating. And this is why they don't then want to kiss.

That is chump stuff. Happens sometimes, but don't want to be seeking that.

If you see P4P sex as just drunken 'fun', then I haven't much to say to you.

If you say that you don't want a mistress, well that is probably because you have accepted some kind of limitation on your own social role, one which requires that women be seen as disposable.

Icey, you are making a good point. I think mistress keeping is more common in the Romance Language countries, Catholic countries, former parts of the Roman Empire. And very standard in Latin America.

In any event, people do what they want. Never liked Sugar Daddy and Sugar Baby. But if you know the woman and are seeing her regularly, you can still be providing her with money. She is not a wife, but she is not a hooker either. I think that midzone is better.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    BF and GF is really an adolescent concept. Usually people being supported by their parents.

For people supporting themselves, if the woman is not getting money, then usually she is only in it because she believes it will lead to marriage.

So the Mistress System makes sense.

SJG
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    I think women get emotionally attached... and I think in today's world being a provider is a form of showing affection. Gold diggers are easy to weed out though
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^ Agreed, though I will admit that the Mistress System is old fashioned. Today I think it would rarely mean having and exclusive mistress, rather a shared mistress, one who probably still dances in strip clubs.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    But using strip clubs as your regular source of sexual gratification, that is perverted and a suckers game.

SJG
  • Cristobal
    6 years ago
    @san_jose_guy

You have some interesting thoughts.

Everyone has a different view:

I enjoy the conversations, varying viewpoints, and experiences.

We are all different and what might interest one person may not even be on the radar for another.

I don't find a mistress type relationship at all appealing, if I want an exclusive relationship that is what I would work on obtaining.

My experience is vastly different from yours where in P4P most partners are mechanical at first but if you persue to see her more often, she will open up a little more on each occasion.

There have been exceptions but I believe it has more to do with the girls' skill as a sex worker rather than her really opening herself up on a first encounter.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    An exclusive mistress is very expensive. Today, the women would not like that. So it would be a shared mistress. Really its just a woman you are seeing regularly, and handing money to.

Strip clubs are See - Want - Get. That is the ultimate power trip.

You select her, you get her dressed and painted up as you first saw here.

Not everywhere has those sorts of strip clubs, but some do.

Thing is though, you can only do that with a given girl once. After that it does not work.

So if you want to keep seeing her, you have to invent something else. So this is where the Mistress System comes into play. The girl is already a given. But you can tell her how you want her to dress. You can supply her with items to wear. And you can give her money.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    You meet a girl in the club and do the maximum.

Suppose you want to see her again? Makes no sense in the strip club because the girl is already pre-determined. So need some other kind of a script.

based on youthful exploits around 1970. Most of the girls from the night club brothels also have guys who are keeping them. So they have their own Sunday service in the Zona, then on Monday they take off via bus or air, to the centers of finance, gov't, and industry, where these guys are. Then they come back around Wednesday to service the locals Friday and Saturday night.

https://www.amazon.com/Guaymas-Chronicle…

If you want to keep seeing a girl, if you want to know a girl, you have to have some other script to use.

Stuart taught for years at UNM, anthropology, then he became Dean.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion