tuscl

OT: These are the 25 best-paying jobs in America in 2019, according to US News &

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:30 PM
Jobs in health and medicine are some of the best-paying in America, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2019 Best Jobs rankings. But those high salaries come with an important catch. 19 of the top 25 jobs in this year's rankings come with "high" or "above average" stress levels. Approximately half of the top 25 jobs in this year's ranking offered "low" or "below average" work-life balance. For the second year in a row, medical jobs dominate this list. Thankfully, not every healthcare professional needs to trade high pay for low quality of life. A few jobs, such as orthodontist, dentist and optometrist offer good work-life balance and at least average stress levels, according to the publication's research. This year's top paying jobs all have median salaries of at least $100,000, more than twice the U.S. median personal income, US News & World Report careers reporter Rebecca Koenig toldCNBC Make It. The publication calculated the U.S. median income at $46,124 a year using the Bureau of Labor Statistics' third quarter data for 2018). For this year's ranking, the publication analyzed U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data to determine which 100 jobs are hiring the most. It then looked across industries and measured the overall quality of each role based on seven factors: 10-year growth volume, 10-year growth percentage, median salary, employment rate, future job prospects, stress level and work-life balance. Here are the 25 best-paying jobs in 2019, according to U.S. News & World Report: 1. Anesthesiologist Mean salary: $265,990 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Low 2. Surgeon Mean salary: $251,890 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Low 3.Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Mean salary: $242,740 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 4. Obstetrician and Gynecologist Mean salary: $235,240 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 5. Orthodontist Mean salary: $229,380 Stress level: Below average Work-life balance: Above average 6. Psychiatrist Mean salary: $216,090 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Average 7. Physician Mean salary: $198,370 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Average 8. Prosthodontist Mean salary: $196,960 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 9. Pediatrician Mean salary: $187,540 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Average 10. Dentist Mean salary: $174,110 Stress level: Average Work-life balance: Above average 11. Nurse Anesthetist Mean salary: $169,450 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 12. Petroleum Engineer Mean salary: $154,780 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 13. IT Manager Mean salary: $149,730 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Below average 14. Podiatrist Mean salary: $148,470 Stress level: Average Work-life balance: Average 15. Marketing Manager Mean salary: $145,620 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 16. Financial Manager Mean salary: $143,530 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Average 17. Lawyer Mean salary: $141,890 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Below average 18. Sales Manager Mean salary: $137,650 Stress level: High Work-life balance: Below average 19. Financial Advisor Mean salary: $124,140 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Average 20. Business Operations Manager Mean salary: $123,460 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 21. Pharmacist Mean salary: $121,710 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Below average 22. Optometrist Mean salary: $119,100 Stress level: Average Work-life balance: Above average 23. Actuary Mean salary: $114,850 Stress level: Average Work-life balance: Average 24. Political Scientist Mean salary: $112,030 Stress level: Average Work-life balance: Average 25. Medical and Health Services Manager Mean salary: $111,680 Stress level: Above average Work-life balance: Above average [view link]

45 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ I assume many of those probably make bigger $$$ but not necessarily straight-salary and more like bonuses/incentives, etc
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^^ and commissions, etc
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Not intending to be a Party Pooper, but I've looked at these kinds of lists for decades now. How does a Political Scientist get $112K? We don't know, so the list is of little use. My point is, what people get depends upon what they actually do, and on who they are doing it for. More determined by this than by what kind of college degrees they have. Bar tenders, used car salesman, real estate agents, they all can do quite well. Also, some of these occupations are represented by unions, and so they get overtime. The quintessential was Air Traffic Controller, or it was so. So when you see something like Anesthesiologist, keep that in mind. I know of Police Officers who get that much. But not everyone wants to be in that sort of a working situation. What I always suggest as the alternative kind of thinking in such realms: [view link] Because it is based on actually going out and talking to people, and on finding out what sorts of skills it is that you most enjoy using, and to what ends. You find that very few people who are doing interesting and lucrative things have been following any kind of a prepared path. Steve Jobs [view link] [view link] Thanks Papi, for coming out here into the parking lot with us, SJG Joe Tex - I Gotcha - 1972 ( long ago favorite of mine and some male classmates ) [view link] MLK Bday: January 15, 1929 The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There [Full Length Version]( old favorite, on 45 Rpm) [view link] New Field Headquarters, In The Parking Lot [view link] Donald Trump [view link] jeff healey live at nottoden 2006 [view link] [view link] Running a Food Truck for dummies [view link] AC/DC - Girls Got Rhythm ( and with the original lead singer, which I have always found to be one of the group's best features. Clever song, and in my opinion underplayed. [view link] Female Tribute Band [view link] Amy Winehouse/Paul Weller - I heard it through the grapevine.Hootynanny 2006. [view link] Amy Winehouse I love you more than you'll ever know LIVE [view link] Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights [view link] Joe Bonamassa - "Sloe Gin" - Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks [view link]
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    A lot of trades compare favorably with the lower end of those salaries, and the work life balance will be much better than those fields.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ No construction trades motor trades pay hourly or salary, not very much is commission based .
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    And people wonder why health care costs are so high.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Human resources mangers, yes sure. But what is a Political Scientist doing to get $112k? Sure there are examples, all sorts of example of all sorts of things. But my point is that once you understand such, you see that such lists are not really very good for much. For people who want flexibility and money, I still say that starting your own business is best. SJG SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    "... For this year's ranking, the publication analyzed U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data to determine which 100 jobs are hiring the most. It then looked across industries and measured the overall quality of each role based on seven factors: 10-year growth volume, 10-year growth percentage, median salary, employment rate, future job prospects, stress level and work-life balance ..." Seems the jobs listed met certain criteria besides just solely being the best-paying
  • yahtzee74
    5 years ago
    Hey, shouldn't stripper be on that list? What's the stress level and work-life balance for a stripper?
  • founder
    5 years ago
    $100k in California is near poverty
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    LOL - funny but true
  • theDirkDiggler
    5 years ago
    There's an actual job, and a high paying one, called political scientist? I always thought it was just a fluffy major. Before you know it, you'll hear about criminal justices (jurors?)...
  • TrapBaby304
    5 years ago
    the article s out of touch with reality. most people are forced to deal with a fourth of that per household. but white privilege must be nice if you actually have it
  • Corvus
    5 years ago
    If I had to do it all over again I would become an NFL referee. Easier said than done perhaps but a few years ago I heard they make over $250K annually, and it's a part time job. High stress level perhaps but not a bad gig if you can make it happen. Although you have to work weekends and holidays!
  • blahblahblah23
    5 years ago
    Plenty of whites making do with a fourth of that too... lol!
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    Very best paying job in America: Wife of Jeff Bezos.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    LOL
  • RTP
    5 years ago
    My 21 year old son will be a 2019 college graduate (undergraduate). He already has a job with a bank that would put him well up on this list (total compensation, not just salary). Numbers and exclusions don't make sense to me.
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    Founder referenced it as well but keep in mind if you live in SF, LA, NYC or DC your cost of living is higher than most places in the USA. And IT Manager is all over the place.........there are so many variables it's hard to list them all.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    I'd say that most of the exclusions are based on the fact that they started with the "100 jobs are hiring the most" - then picked the top 25 highest paying out of those. The highest paying jobs tend to be the scarcest ones so they won't make the list, for example Jeff Bezos only has the one wife at a time. There may be some trades with opportunities to out-earn the lower end of that scale and lots of hiring, but I suspect they also have a lot of low-earners bringing down the mean. For example I'd not be surprised if a plumber or HVAC tech were to bring in 150K+ but a lot of them are probably struggling to bring home 30k too, depending on their talent level/work ethic/etc.
  • larryfisherman
    5 years ago
    I don’t see drug dealer on there.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    Like Dirk, I was surprised to see: 24. Political Scientist Mean salary: $112,030 Stress level: Average Work-life balance: Average I am surprised that anyone would admit that as their profession.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Just for fun what does a political scientist actually do?
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    @ twentyfive---a good majority of them go on to law school but working for political campaigns, government jobs, legislative assistants, policy and public analysis, and public relations come to mind.
  • txtittyfag
    5 years ago
    I make better money giving blow jobs
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Like I've said, been reading such lists for decades. People do all sorts of things and take in various amounts of money. But these lists are not useful. SJG Exclusive: Angela Davis Speaks Out on Palestine, BDS & More After Civil Rights Award Is Revoked [view link] Jewish Voice For Peace [view link]
  • minnow
    5 years ago
    Fellas, if you search hard and long enough, you can probably find your job/career on someones top 25 list. I've seen lists for jobs that pay well and have low stress, jobs that pay well without too much training, etc, etc. I recall [view link] having listings of career fields. Even there, I could see some data flaws in the field that I worked in. Pass the salt, please......
  • jester214
    5 years ago
    I know some very wealthy lawyers but I also know a lot who aren't making anywhere near 140K.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ Again, reason why these kinds of lists are not good for much. Some thing applies to all the occupations listed. SJG
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Drug dealing isn't that profitable for most. Say you sell coke, after operating costs you're making like $24 a gram. After cutting it, maybe like $34. Its an expensive drug, and most people want to buy very small amounts, which the risk isn't worth the dealer's time. The list is bs though, its the high end of the pay scale and doesn't account for location, cost of living etc.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ The job titles and college degrees being referred to predict nothing. Not a useful list. Been reading these sorts of lists for decades. They mean nothing. SJG
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    If you want a nice career.... you can make a lot doing air conditioning repairs in say Phoenix or Las Vegas. Being a mechanic or doing window repairs in Los Angeles....You don't need college for a decent job. A lot of degrees will harm you, no one wants to hire someone more qualified than themselves... I think good white collar jobs are mostly about nepotism. Most just end up with cubicle jobs....
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    cubicle jobs? Been there, done that. SJG
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    I think these disparities in wages are just more proof at how much people need a living wage and union representation...
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Stockton California did that last year, they wanted to create a threshold no one would fall under so each resident of the city got $500 for almost 2 years.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    I don't know the details, it was experimental and they wanted it to jumpstart the economy since the poverty rate was so high. I think its going on til almost the end of this year. Its a good idea
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    @Icy: "I think these disparities in wages are just more proof at how much people need a living wage and union representation..." _____________ Irony is that poor white men in rural America voted for Trump in large numbers. As if Trump and the Rs have anything to offer them. Instead we had a huge deficit-funded corporate tax cut that went to buy-backs and corporate CEOs -- the top 0.1%. Poor white slob gets nothing except the threat of entitlement cuts to reduce the deficit. R's succeed by playing on white resentment and the bogus threat of brown people coming across the border. And these poor white rural men fall for it. I think surgeons and anesthesiologist etc deserve large salaries. Pushing them into the middle class is mistake, because we want to encourage the best-and-brightest to become MDs. There are about 8 different proposals that come under the heading of Medicare for all, and the differ radically in implementation. Again, we don't want to push doctors into the middle class. Would be nice to have a tax structure that encourages more talented people to become research scientists & professors instead of going into finance or law.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I doubt that Universal Basic Income will fly in this country, better that the money be used to fund infrastructure needs, and give people the dignity of earning a living, rather than keep encouraging the nanny state to coddle a lazy entitled, dependent class.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    You constantly hear people ranting about the “nanny state” on a site like this. And it’s true that there’s some drag on GDP to help with food stamps and Medicaid and the like. But somehow you never hear about the financial crisis which wiped trillions of dollars out the economy and caused massive grief. We were forced to bail out investment banks where the average salary was something like $600K. That’s what I call a nanny state.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @Random Not going to argue about that, but you keep forgetting that this Universal Basic Income is just another form of welfare, I never rant about a nanny state, we have many things that we agree on, but this is just another stupid give away, to get votes from idiots. Eventually everything must be paid for, and my feeling is that this is going to be just a red herring, used as a diversion, to get people to look away from serious problems. This is an example of politicians trying to have it both ways, either we don't have the funds available to effect the infrastructure repairs we desperately need, and we need to raise taxes, or there is more than enough money available for everything, in that case how about returning the excess to those people that paid the taxes. Let's be fair about this, why the fuck should I work hard and give my hard earned money to a bunch of lazy asses to sit around and do nothing worthwhile. I certainly lost quite a bit of money during that financial crises you're referring to, and nobody bailed me out.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    @25- Just trying to put things in perspective. Government outlay on food stamps is about $70B per year, so that 44M people can get $125/month to eat. That's about what most of us spend in 1/2 hour at a strip club. TARP outlay was $700B. The recent tax cut adds $1,000B to the deficit over ten years and benefits just a tiny fraction of the population.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ Like I said not looking for an argument, mainly it's pointless, it isn't going to happen in mine and probably your lifetimes, and I can't get too worked up about it, my family is taken care of, so if I want to blow $125. a half hour in a titty bar, I'm not going to worry very much.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Universal Basic Income differs from public assistance because it is not needs tested. Everyone gets it, either that our they sign something to credit it to their tax bill. As it is not needs tested, this means that for the first time the poor are not being pilloried, being targeted for scorn, pity, and contempt, in the political arena. Now of course while UBI is not needs tested, taxes are means tested. At some level of income, the money will be taxed back. This may or may not be counted by economists are part of the federal budget, or being just a transfer payment, it might be tallied separately. Nothing would reduce the pressure to create senseless jobs, or expand consumption, and alleviate social problems better than UBI. Now, for it to have the intended effect, that people could live on that and that alone, there would have to be some other changes. Price controlled or fully state run offerings for the basic essentials, like housing, transportation, food, clothing, medical care, education. Otherwise the UBI system would just be fattening rentiers. Lots of stuff today does this. Then other programs would have to be re-evaluted, like min wage, unemployment, food stamps, welfare, etc. Some might be completely replaced by UBI. Others might be integrated into UBI. Still others might still need to run independently. Keynesianism kept the unemployment rate low for decades. Then JFK saw that it was starting to creep up, to maybe 1%. This was what we call today "frictional unemployment". But JFK became the proto-Reagan, droping the top tax rate from 90% to 70% Seems like he accomplished nothing. But LBJ accomplished a great deal with Medicare and his War on Poverty. But his stuff was still too timid and too compromised from the start. And the Clinton Earned Income Tax Credit does also help. As you move from early industrialization, to advanced industrialization, to an information economy, there is no other choice than a full welfare state. And the only way to do this and protect the poor from scapegoating and to protect the political gains, is to eliminate needs testing. Such is replaced by means testing for progressive taxation. People who say things like, "It's MY MONEY" or "Why should I support lazy people?", or "We should be promoting entrepreneurism and financial literacy, and gutting regulations, they are not looking the Big Picture, just at their own reactionary little picture. So it is either UBI, or expect strife, and eventually violent revolution. And if it is this latter, you can know that I will be the one passing out the assault rifles and the bayonets. Remember, the whole point of industrialization is to create vastly more leisure time by continually whittling down the need for labor. We long ago reached the point where Capitalism is not at all viable. SJG Joe Bonamassa - "Midnight Blues" - Beacon Theatre - Live From New York [view link] The Thrill Is Gone - B.B.Kng & Richie Sambora [view link] Alvin Lee, Bluest Blues [view link] [view link] [view link]
  • TrapBaby304
    5 years ago
    It works in Alaska where everyone gets a check cos of the oil and thats a very conservative state. no reason it cant be everywhere. it may not cover everything but it makes a huge difference.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Its finally that we are making our industrial economy work for people, instead of against us. And it can be made to cover everything. SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion