tuscl

OT: Would you spend the extra $$$ ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Monday, December 3, 2018 4:03 PM
United launches new 'premium economy' class between coach and business for some of its longest flights United Airlines is starting to sell seats aboard its new premium economy section. Premium economy tickets can cost about double a coach-class fare and come with more legroom and other perks. United follows a host of other airlines including American and Delta in launching the class between coach and business class. Don't want to shell out $7,000 for business class but fretting spending a 16-hour flight crammed in coach? United Airlines is rolling out a new class of service for travelers looking for something between the two extremes on some of its longest international flights. United started selling seats in so-called premium economy class on Monday. Travelers willing to pay more than the regular coach-class fare will get bigger seats with deeper reclines than those in regular economy, amenity kits, free alcoholic beverages and noise-reducing headphones, among other perks. Other airlines around the world — including United's closest competitors at home, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines — already offer a version of premium economy and are in the process of expanding it to more aircraft. It is part of airlines' efforts to slice their cabins into new sections to encourage passengers to pay higher fares to avoid the skimpiest services. The price of a ticket aboard United's version varies depending on the route and demand, but an April 12-19, 2019, trip from Newark to Hong Kong showed up as $1,071, while a seat in premium economy was close to $3,660. Business class for the same route was $7,050. United said the premium economy class, which it is calling "Premium Plus," will be on 21 international routes by May and service will begin on some international flights starting on March 30, 2019. [view link]

14 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I'd probably be willing to pay 25% more but not double-the-price
  • FatHead304
    6 years ago
    No cause my main bitch is eating all my money.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Mayyyyybe 50% more - but not double
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    As it is now I usually go for the cheapest ticket and often fly on Spirit - but on a very long flight I'd consider paying more; just not double
  • -me
    6 years ago
    Fuck that.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Makes me feel similar to when clubs have limited seating b/c half the tables are reserved for bottle-service
  • -me
    6 years ago
    ^^ and maybe 1 of those tables get used all night
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    I recently flew from Louisville to Denver, and while I didn’t spring for the extra (it was not double, but I don’t remember exactly what now), it looked like there actually was some extra room. Not much on the small plane I was on though. Might be more worth it on a larger plane.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    I would use the money I have to equip and qualify myself to fly the plane, or to just get around by ground transport. Avoid commercial flights, because once you check in you are under marshal law. I plan to be using both methods in my future travels. SJG Highest gender wage gap in the Bay Area: [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] The Cube oF Space and the 22 Paths Of initiation [view link] ⚡️ Arcanum 1⚡️ The Magician ⚡️ Tarot & Alchemy And Kabbalah [view link]
    6 years ago
    When they can’t sell these seats at list price there will be deals on them also, so double the cost won’t always be the requirement. Another thing that can affect this is the size of the traveler, big ppl might be much more willing to shell out to avoid having to shoehorn. @Che - How is having lots of names and fare classes any diff than say shopping for cars? There are a 1,000 variations and everyone has their own value formula to decide what they are willing to pay. Then nearly everyone who gets even the exact same car pays a different price.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Those seats might allow for folks with status to upgrade - from basic economy? It’s not first class. I’m tall - and for short flights economy is fine. For long flights - I might turn in Miles to get a bit more leg room - as long as it’s less than first class.
  • abqspencer
    6 years ago
    Gonna totally depend on the pricing. But yeah, I likely would. I look for business/first deals all the time. Once it was basically gonna be a net of about $15 more for first, because I got free bags in first and economy wasn't that much cheaper. So I definitely flew first. That, of course, wasn't for international, but still.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I have not flown commercial in several years, it seems the prices have dramatically increased although 1100 to go from newark to hong kong is not bad at all
  • ARagingFlamingGay
    6 years ago
    Only if the airline features scantily clad twinks!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion