tuscl

Ed King

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Guitarist from Lynard Skynard and one of the co-writers of Sweet Home Alabama has passed away, I believe he was a native Floridian but his tribute southern rock song to the state of Alabama was one of my favorites
RIP to a talented guy.

13 comments

• flagooner
    6 years ago
    Their Gold and Platinum LP was one of the first I owned. So many great songs.

I'd be embarrassed to admit the albums I bought before that one.
  • 4got2wipe
    6 years ago
    ^^^
    I think this means flagooner was a boy band afficionado!

The thought of a young flagooner with boy band posters on his walls = brilliant!
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    I always liked Skynard, still do.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I think my first 2 albums were
    ELO - Discovery
    Elton John's Greatest Hits
  • yahtzee74
    6 years ago
    Ed King was originally from California.

Gold and Platinum was my first Skynyrd cd - got it from BMG music club.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^According to CNN the band members were classmates in Florida, Jacksonville. I didn’t actually check though.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    The band did originate in Jacksonville. I don't know anything about their pasts before that.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    They were from Jacksonville.... Ed King was from California. He played with them a couple years left in the middle of a tour because Ronnie Van Zant (Lead Singer) and Ed's guitar tuner had gotten into a bar room brawl and spent the night in jail. They made it back to the tour 15 minutes before the show started, Ed said he broke 3 strings during Freebird.... After the show Ronnie gave him shit about not being as good as Allen Collins, so Ed left in the middle of the night.

I have seen them 9 or 10 times in concert, all after the plane crash, I was 8 when they crashed. They have always been one of my favorite bands.

Last night I saw a movie on showtime about them and heard Ed King tell the story of why he left the band.
  • azdd
    6 years ago
    Yeah, Ed King was a phenomenal guitarist and songwriter. Ronnie appreciated his talent and brought him into the band, but I don’t think his Cali persona ever really meshed with the other Florida boys. RIP.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    I bought the same albums as flag. Did you have Best of Bread too? Lol. I’ve still have some Lynard Skynard in my tunes and still like their sound.
  • Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    Have always loved lynyrd skynyrd!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion