tuscl

New VIP publishing system, a reaction to FOSTA

Pretty obvious now that I think about it. Founder is not directly responsible for publication, VIP members are responsible. Basically at the same time that FOSTA law is passed. Founder is protecting his own ass and I don’t blame him. Kudos. Might not be enough, but it’s one step in the right direction for him.

17 comments

• jackslash
    6 years ago
    I think we should reject reviews that promote prostitution or are too explicit or mention dancer names and extras.
  • s275ironman
    6 years ago
    ^ completely in agreement here given the recent events of websites shutting down due to FOSTA. I think it is best we utilize the PM system to share such information.
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    Agreed. Its allot more more work for founder unfortunately.
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    I *have* been rejecting reviews that talk explicitly about acts. Some might claim it’s ok if a reviewer doesn’t name the girl, but I think that’s bogus. The club is still liable.

I’m not naive enough to think that simply not mentioning extras will keep LEO away from a club, but as the OP suggests, it could reduce liability on a review site.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I don't think it's a FOSTA issue w.r.t. Founder passing review publishing onto us - he still owns and operates the site
  • FTS
    6 years ago
    Papi, that’s why I included the last sentence of the OP. It might not be enough. But I think it’s one step toward protecting his own ass, which is why I think it IS related to the FOSTA law. Perhaps he didn’t have enough time to thoroughly read each review, so he’s passed that responsibility to us, because he can’t weed out all the reviews that create liability. Idk, just seems to make sense. Reviewing strip clubs isn’t against the law, so the essential function of this site is perfectly legal.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Under FOSTA, websites can be prosecuted for user-generated content. That was actually the specific intention of the law, given Backpage's claiming that they could not be held liable for content created by users. FOSTA allows the government to go after a website hosting content violating the law *regardless* of its origin.

The new review workflow certainly reduces founder's admin chores, but it is not a FOSTA protection.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I would reject a review that mentioned dancer names. After reading the comments here - it’s a good idea to reject a review that mentions specific sexual acts too.

I haven’t found any with names and acts yet.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Under FOSTA, websites are held liable for content, regardless of who generates it, if it supports human trafficking. So the new review system is not a FOSTA protection.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Founder has not been reading every review for years. His computer was set up to auto reject reviews that were too short. However a lot of his time was being taken up by replying to complaints about certain reviews. Now that burden has been lifted.
  • founder
    6 years ago
    ^ what shadowcat said

• Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    If you can't tell all of what goes on in vip there aint no reason to read or write reviews here!
  • wallanon
    6 years ago
    There's people who've been around on TUSCL for a little while now who are taking this shit way too seriously. I'm interested in what other folks think, or else I wouldn't still hang around reading the boards. But I'll also say trying to harass people into writing reviews exactly the way you like them (or write them) is energy better served elsewhere. Vote the way you want to vote on review submissions, but does every little thing need to be a days long debate? There's always somebody finding something new to them or excited to share their experiences. Good for them.

Founder was obviously on TUSCL before the rest of us, and shadowcat was already prolific when I started reading and posting here. Other than Chili Palmer and alucard I don't really remember anyone else from those days, and alucard isn't around anymore. I guess vincemichaels, artcollege, and clubber were also more active now that I think about it. But what I mostly remember is the glossary wasn't much different than it is now. And all of that stuff from way back when is online and available. I was online in the Usenet days, and a lot of those alt groups make the stuff posted here look straight-laced.

I get it that folks are getting rattled with this and that LE and policy maker bullshit going on, but nobody forced anyone to self publish a bunch of "locker room talk" on the open Internet. Whatever issues each member here is working through about their own behavior, please stop imposing that on the rest of us. If I go back and look at every review I've posted here about hundreds of different clubs, maybe I'll find something that I'd word differently now. But what I won't find is bunch of bragging about this or that act to impress a bunch of strangers. That's a choice each person can make for themselves.

Every time I walk into a new club I've got over 500 other clubs I can compare it against. When I get around to writing a review, it's whatever I remember by then minus a whole lot of other stuff that any person could write. If it's been a while (or never) since a club got reviewed I'll try to put in a little more detail, but otherwise it's not that serious. YMMV. For my two cents on what discretion might look like, I'll just offer a rundown I shared about my thoughts on TJ from early 2009. It's a TUSCL article posted at https://www.tuscl.net/article.php?id=683 after I'd been there several times. Some stuff changes. Some stuff doesn't.

• rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Wallanon, for someone who is accusing others of taking this too seriously, a four paragraph essay on the subject speaks volumes. ;)

I won't say that I take this as mission critical and life would certainly go on if the site went away, but I do find it to be very useful and I suspect that others do as well. So with that said, I don't think it is such a bad thing to discuss basic review standards, including setting bare minimum bars for what is acceptable or steering users away from explicit shit that is dangerous in the current environment.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Cash posted: --->"I would reject a review that mentioned dancer names. After reading the comments here - it’s a good idea to reject a review that mentions specific sexual acts too."

I don't know what's going on today, but I just ran into a string of them this morning. I suspect that TER and usasexguide refugees are starting to look for other places to share their experiences. What's also interesting is that they can remember every single detail about the sexual acts themselves, but cannot seem to recall anything else at all,. including what they paid for the fun, what the other girls were like, the overall state of affairs in the club, etc.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    ^^^ I think you're right. Because reports on USASG were typically about the services provided with very little about the club. Most of the USASG users are local and don't need a lot of club information.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Remember that USA Monger Net, they were really stupid, trying to keep out women and anyone without an established presence on an other adult board, while of course all the time LE was using a back door to monitor them.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion