tuscl

Searching for GPS planted on my car

Does anyone have experience searching cars for a planted GPS?

What's the best way to do this?

If I find a GPS what should I do next?

21 comments

• flagooner
    7 years ago
    Normally they won't do OTC, so if you got one in your car she must think you are loaded. I'd look in the passenger seat if you are having difficulty finding her.
  • Lone_Wolf
    7 years ago
    Get a good divorce lawyer
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    You'd probably find better info Googling the subject - also you may wanna look into checking out your smartphone if anyone you suspect has had access to it.
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    If you find a device put it on someone elses car
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    Or on a city bus
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    See if there a local spy-shop in your area (or there may actually be spy-type discussion-boards out there).
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Mechanic and/or a reputable PI.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    I know a little about this. Some of the consumer devices plug into the car's OBD port and use the car's battery. Others are battery operated and can be placed anywhere, even under the car with weather-proof case.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^ Apparently LittleMember has been stalking his favorites.
  • galiziabob.sabbatical
    7 years ago
    Look for a little box about 2 inches by 2 inches under the steering wheel area. My car has it. I cut the power and ground wire to it. No problems and good is gone. Every car is different so Google it first for your specific car. Best thing is to look in your fuse panel for the GPS fuse. Pull it and give the car a try. No fuse, no power to the GPS. What kind of car, year make and model?
  • max_starr
    7 years ago
    for onstar check the owners manual for the fuse...very easy to remove...no more built-in gps tracking
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    I'm assuming the OP is not referring to the car's standard GPS but more of a nefarious unit put in his car w/o his knowledge.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I doubt that you will find a specific answer here. I’d recommend searching some of the spy gear sites - as there may be a device that scans for gps
  • ppwh
    7 years ago
    > Does anyone have experience searching cars for a planted GPS?

Nope, but I have experience with DuckDuckGo to find that sort of info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0712jToY…

> What's the best way to do this?

Follow the steps in that video.

> If I find a GPS what should I do next?

Consult with a divorce lawyer and tell them that you suspect your wife has planted a GPS tracking device on your car.

On the other hand, this PI says to call law enforcement:

http://www.a-pi.com/vehicle-gps-locate-f…

It may nor not be the best idea depending on whether you have been driving strippers around so they can make drug buys.

Likewise, it could also be risky to sell it on eBay in case your wife reports it stolen and you end up with a felony rap for selling stolen property.
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    If you have an on-board navigation system the registered owner of the car can download a program to track the car through the system. A lot of abusive guys buy or lease cars for their lady because you can do it. Orwell would be pleased.
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    No disrespect anon_question, but I have a question for you: are you paranoid?

I recognize that people can still be out to get you even if you are paranoid, but unless you think somebody (perhaps your wife or girlfriend) thinks you're cheating or you think law enforcement is after you thinking there is a GPS hidden on your car is kind of paranoid.

I did not realize that an app was available to track cars with onboard navigation, but it doesn't surprise me. Obviously, anything can be misused and the over the top tracking of a girlfriend is non-brilliant, but information about your own property should be available to you. So if a guy owns or leases a car it seems reasonable that said guy could track the car.

Assuming anon_question's wife or girlfriend doesn't own or lease his car, he doesn't have that to worry about. So I am circling around to my first question: do you think you might be paranoid?

Think carefully! If you think the world is out to get you then you might be paranoid! ;)
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    One other thought about skibum609's post, if the leasing company had access to the information that would be seriously non-brilliant. I wouldn't sign a lease that allowed that.

Of course, I don't lease cars. I like to buy a new car periodically and I don't like or need flashy cars, so I have bought a Camry outright the last three cars I bought. I know you lose value when you drive it off the lot etc etc but I don't like hassles and a new Camry is cheap and they are reliable cars. That said, I'd consider any comparable make and model. If it has onboard navigation (my current car does not) that information is mine.

My goal with a car is to not complicate my life. I want it inexpensive, reliable, and mine. If people have other goals then to each his own!
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    Final thought about skibum609's post, I way less scared of Big Brother (government monitoring) than of Little Brothers (companies monitoring you and selling your information). Most people aren't that interesting to the government.

Even in China, where I sometimes travel for business, I'm not worried. I wouldn't do anything anti-government there. The Chinese government is the business of the Chinese people. But China is probably the major country closest to Orwell's vision and most Chinese just aren't interesting enough to the Chinese government for the government to monitor!

I mean really, do you think the NSA cares whether crazyjoe clogs a McD shitter? Give me a break! ;)
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Crazyjoe is a Russian spy. How do you think he passes information to his handlers ? (:
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    ^Interesting. So, crazyjoe sends messages to the Ruskies via clouds of gas? That stinks....
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    It must be very easy to install a device with a gps chip in a car - that will provide location tracking.

I basically agree with 4got2wipe - it’s highly unlikely the government would do that. It’s more likely a spouse or possibly an auto lessor might do that. Possibly an auto insurance company would do that too? Since a leased car isn’t the property of the lessee - it’s possible they would install a gps device. But that’s a wild guess.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion