tuscl

I haven't heard that song "in a minute".

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:43 PM
Where did this shit come from? I hear it every day. I haven't seen Bambi in a minute. I haven't gotten laid in a minute. It's been a minute since I went to that club., etc.

12 comments

• anonlvone
    7 years ago
    I always hear "in a hot minute". It can mean days, weeks, even months. No idea where it came from.
  • GoVikings
    7 years ago
    lol shadow its slang for "i haven't done something in a long time" with you being in atlanta, i'm sure you hear it a lot. lots of black folk in atlanta
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    I have never heard the expression. GoVikings, is this one of those slang terms where something means the opposite of what it literally says? So "a minute" means "a long time"?
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    Yeah, like saying using "in a minute" to mean a long time is the cleverest thing I've ever heard anyone say. ;-)
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    I've heard "in a minute" meaning "in a long time" for several years. As an amateur linguist, I probably pay closer attention to developments in slang than most. Like much of modern American slang, this usage comes from Black American Vernacular English, a common feature of which is to say the opposite of what you really mean.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    GV - I'm even hearing it from my 41 yo white daughter. :)
  • rane1234
    7 years ago
    Golly jee willikers idk
  • magicrat
    7 years ago
    Yeah and it seems the ones who say it, use the term repeatedly.
  • GoVikings
    7 years ago
    jack- yes, that's exactly it shadow- lol yeah, its one of those things that people pick up after hearing it over and over and over
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    "In a minute" has been popular among the youngsters for a while. I expect to hear it in a context like: 20-year-old #1: "I haven't been to Club Brain Damage in a minute. But that club is soooo bomb!" 20-year-old #2: "Ewwww, that place is ratchet!"
  • DoctorPhil
    7 years ago
    "...Club Brain Damage..." i'd go to that club in a new york minute. plenty of business there fo' sure
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    That phrase has been around for a minute. :-)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion