tuscl

Money Wars at a Memphis Strip Club

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
"Dennis, the general manager, is busy counting stacks of bills. "The number one difference here is they like to make it rain," he tells me.

In fact, at this club, it's not so much about, say, the women, it's about how you represent yourself.

"It's not really about the dances," Jason says. "It's about how you look in the club." Late at night and into the early morning hours, customers engage in so-called "money wars." The stacks of bills Dennis is bundling will be sold out of a duffel bag at the edge of the stage, minus 10 percent. In other words, $900 singles will cost you $1,000. In order to show off who has the most money to burn, customers will shower the girls with bills, competing with each other to make it rain money the hardest."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susannahbre…

22 comments

• vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Gee, I'm going into that business. 10% return on your money.
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    Making it rain = not brilliant!

I've never been overly freaked out about spending. My literally throwing money away is just stupid.
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    I'd burn my money first. People who really have money tend to not be show offs.
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    Ever seen the movie “Idiocracy”?

Making it rain at a strip club without getting anything in return for your money reminds me of that movie.

Function: noun. Definition: an act or actions that come from ideas or beliefs that are not smart. Example Sentence: It was idiocracy for that man to drive so much over the speed limit.

• rockie
    7 years ago
    I've never seen the "Memphis Extreme Rain Syndrome", but making it rain at the stage ($50 to $100) certainly is a "thing" in some clubs I've visited. I spend my strip club money on time and/or dances. It's not my thing (nor never will be) to make it rain.
  • Uprightcitizen
    7 years ago
    I recently saw some goofball throw 4 -separated $100 bricks of $1 bills at a stripper and then stick 6 wrapped bricks in her thong. My thought was I dont care how much money you have you are just an idiot.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Seems like total stupidity. The club owner knows these guys are fools - and he knows they will pay the 10% fee to simply have bills stacked!

These guys probably aren’t rich either - just trying to look like ballers.

I’ve only seen one guy make it rain - and it seemed like the dancer got bored - as he didn’t dump the stack - he pushed the singles off slowly - and it gave everybody time to think how stupid it was.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    "My thought was I dont care how much money you have you are just an idiot."
    +1
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    "and it gave everybody time to think how stupid it was."

Im not sure if they realize just how stupid it is. Its all for show anyway. They do it for attention but to everyone else it just looks stupid.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    It's like a disease, LOL - it's not as if these guys will get "some" $1s to make it rain, nope, they usually change *all* the $$$ they walk in with into $1s for the sole purpose of making it rain and nothing else - talk about easy $$$ for the dancers
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Here’s a dumb question - but I’m curious. Is there anything that making it rain gets besides just a show? Is it a down payment on a vip session? Is this a sure way to vip FS? If it’s only for show - it’s really dumb.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    "Is there anything that making it rain gets besides just a show?"

No i dont think so. They just do it for attention and because the rappers do it. It could possibly lead to mileage in the vip at the make it rain clubs, but i would assume you would still have to pay for that in addition to making it rain. But then, i dont think the vip gets any action at those clubs because again, the make it rain nonsense is just for show and to make everyone look. Assuming noone else is in vip, they have nobody to show off for.
  • Rickberge
    7 years ago
    Uprightcitizen you must of been at a stripclub in Atlanta? Lol

Most black clubs especially night shift weekends in Atlanta is the make it rain show...

the easiest money a stripper will ever make. She doesn't have to spend hours talking to us PLs, giving us SS for a measliy $200 and extras that they hate doing lol
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    For myself, I had long ago noticed that blacks care a great deal about making an impression.

And then people say that in the black clubs, as day becomes night, they turn more into ordinary night clubs with the strippers being secondary.

SJG
  • Rickberge
    7 years ago
    ^^^ yep that's true. Secondary meaning money is being thrown on stage not necessarily for the dancers but to show off who is "the king of the club"
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    WHen I travel and visit black clubs, it will always be during the day time, because I want to enjoy the ladies.

SJG
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    It seems that the article should have been titled - Stupidity Wars at a Memphis Strip Club - as this is an easier way for customers to piss away money - and the dancers simply get on stage and enjoy the shower!
  • Uprightcitizen
    7 years ago
    @Rickberge It was at St. James in Houston. I never seen that kind of nonsense in that magnitude but hey, dumb money is good for the girls.
  • whodey
    7 years ago
    $1,000 in stage tips? It's raining stupidity in Memphis. Even if you are stupid enough to tip 1
    $1k at the stage, using singles just makes it a pain in the ass for you and the stripper.

Personally, I'd be more impressed by a gentleman tipping $1k by putting 10 crisp $100s around her garter. I'm sure the look on a stripper's face would be priceless if a PL did that.

If you insist on making it rain at least us a stack of 50 $20s instead. Or get creative and mix different denominations together.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    Whodey, that would not be as impressive. By that i mean, singles off the most "rain" per bill. Throwing 50 $20s would not have the desired effect(of making everyone notice) as opposed to throwing $1000 in singles. For all everyone else would know(or care), you just threw 50 singles.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    *offer
  • lick-that
    7 years ago
    Idk about the $900 for $1k thing, that's just stupid. Never seen that before, but most people I know would laugh in that managers face, so that's kinda suspect. Sounds like journalistic liberty to me, in order to skew the story.
    But let me tell you this, the make it rain clubs I've been to, Mia mostly, the guys starting the "Shower", are there with the girls, the girls work for them. They're getting that $$ back so ease up on the judgment. That show is to get the ball players and celebrities and wannabes to do likewise and follow suit. And that is first hand info knowing the guys and dancers personally. Now a lot of fools follow the trend and do it to look like a boss, but they're the idiots you speak of.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion