tuscl

OT: 1992 Los Angeles Riots

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
They are airing a documentary on ABC tonight (Fr 4/28/17) at 9 PM Eastern:

http://abc.go.com/shows/let-it-fall-los-…

8 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    That was a wild-event - can't believe a quarter of a century has passed by already - man does time fly by.
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Yep it sure does. I remember even more the societal back lashes rippling throughout after the events of the '90's.

OJ- the "Juice"
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    The beating did violate guidelines, it was excessive, but Rodney King was tripping on PCP at the time and had endangered several lives in a high speed chase, was violently resisting arrest, had several felony priors. His race had nothing to do with it. Race had everything to do with the rioters.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Crazy times, I watched a really good documentary awhile back about Koreatown and how the cops ignored them while they were protecting Beverly Hills and many shop keepers had to defend their shops on their own from rioters.
  • JimGassagain
    7 years ago
    I stayed in koreatown a couple years ago, and I felt safe walking around the neighborhood. In fact it is considered somewhat hip these days. Cool bars and restaurants.
  • a21985
    7 years ago
    Gammanu - there are few people as dedicated to trying to convince themselves and others that whites are never racist and blacks are the true racists as you are. Not trying to get into a debate on the topic, because I don't think it would be beneficial for either of us, but I find it hilarious how desperately hard you try every chance you are given.

Shailynn - There was a really good episode of Anthony Bourdain a few years back where he went to Koreatown where they talked a lot about the riots themselves and the lasting impacting it had on them and that area to this day. Really sad how they were left to fend for themselves.
  • GACA
    7 years ago
    I was in the San Fernando Valley back then. I remember telling the teacher that rioters burned my homework. That hole did not go over well. I has to watch it on the news as my parents wouldn't drive me to the action. Felt like it was world's away. Wasn't until I was in college some years later that I realized just how fckn much a big deal that was. We're talking about some not so ghetto parts of LA.
  • zef8mich
    7 years ago
    The 1967 Detroit Riot wasn't as bad, but there's a movie, not a documentary, about it coming out in August,

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/…

It started when I was on leave from the Army. I remember seeing some damage, some looting, and troops on Eight Mile during curfew. I think the Command and Control was close to where I lived.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion