tuscl

Obama's speech at the convention.

Like him or not, many here don't, to put it mildly. President Obama gave a positive speech at the convention. Not surprising. Trump on the other hand, repeatedly downgraded the USA. Nice to know what we think. Trump remains a racist bully, with too many disturbing parallels to Hitler during his rise.

34 comments

• RandomMember
    8 years ago
    It was a terrific speech -- and Obama has about 50% approval ratings right now (which is pretty high).
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Disagree. As usual, nice words from Obama, but none of his actions have backed them up. And like half of America, Trump has plenty to complain about.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    When nobama opens his mouth he's lying. I saw nothing in his positive speak that was true.
  • sclvr5005
    8 years ago
    Trump is simply a joke. A knee-jeek armchair quarterback who isn't qualified to be president of this country. I don't know which is scarier- Trump himself or the idiots who support him. God help us all.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Watched it. I'd expect nothing less from him. I watched him speak about 8 yrs ago, right by the university I attend. I wasn't old enough to vote then, but I supported him. He was awesome when I saw him live (and specifically waived to me and my friends). He gives good speeches.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I was impressed.
  • sclvr5005
    8 years ago
    Both Barack & Michelle are great orators.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Yes, very eloquent.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Excuse me but I could not help notice the gist of Obama's speech..

America is not weak..We let Iran humiliate our navy and wreak havoc in the region and we reward them hoping they will be nice

America does not back off. we were going to punish Asad for gassing his own people but Obama backs off and lets a dick like Putin dictate terms.

America does not quit. Obama's crew doesn't even try to save Americans from being killed in Benghazi

You can bash Trump but you cannot refute this
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    I will not vote for Trump. Having said that, nearly everytimr I read something about Ttump (including here on TUSCL), I hear the phrase "grumpy old white men" or "angry white men".

Think about this for a moment...

It's not angry old white men who have:

Ambushed police officers in Dallas
    Ambushed police officers in Baton Rouge
    Targeted and shot young black teenagers in Fort Myers
    Killed and wounded gay Latinos in Orlando
    Murdered 14 people in San Bernadino
    Terrorized Europe with deadly attacks in Nice, Paris,,and Munich

Let's stop and think who *really* are angry

• sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Missed it all. Hillary actually reminds me of what Hitler did. Taking away freedoms for the promise of security. She says she wants to do that. Take away gun rights, promise more security. Hitler did the same type of thing. Half the population doesn't seem to care. We may get her and she may lead us into wars. Trump has said some stupid things on occasion. He's not the expert liar like Obama and Hillary.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    True, I can not support either of the 2. Therein lies the quandary.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    In 2016 I Vote Against

• twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Doesn't any one here, find it odd that not a single ex-president that is still alive neither Republican presidents George Bush Jr. or Sr. not one previous Republican candidate, John McCain or Mitt Romney, not a one of the more respected Republican former secretaries of state not Condoleezza Rice nor Colin Powell have expressed one drop of support for Donald Trump, not even spoken in opposition to Hillary Clinton. There is a message in that that is loud and clear and Mayor Michael Bloomberg articulated exactly that last night.
    Don't any of you Trump supporters find that troublesome?
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    Yes 25, I do find it troublesome that the professional political insiders care less about the policies and platforms of their respective parties than they care about preserving their "elite" status and their inside track to power and money. I do find it troublesome that people who support only the consolidation of power in the federal government have been in leadership roles in both parties. I do find it troublesome that members of both parties appear to believe that it is necessary that an armed government is necessary to protect a disarmed citizenry.

I do find it troublesome that well over half of all voters in the presidential primaries chose to vote for non-establishment candidates Trump and Sanders, yet the Democrat establishment ignores the popular vote and the Republican old guard ignores their own candidate. I do find it troublesome that the only candidate NOT obligated to rich insiders is constantly attacked by surrogates for those rich players. I do find it troublesome that the Democrats chose to ignore decades of scandal, insider dealings, and outright criminal behavior to nominate a candidate intimately tied to those very same political power players.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Fuck em all.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Dallas wrote: "and the Republican old guard ignores their own candidate."
    ==================================
    No, the Republican old guard recognizes that Trump is unstable and nuts. When Trump's not reading from a teleprompter, he's unhinged. Yesterday's press conference, Trump got Hillary's running mate Tim Kaine mixed up with the New Jersey governor Tom Kean. Trump then went on to ask the Russians to continue cyber-espionage to help him win.

This should be non-partisan. Trump is crazy.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    No way !! The Donald ?? LOL
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Trump said yesterday that Russia should continue to hack Clinton's emails to help him win the election. Isn't that treason?
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    According to a report I saw this morning on National news, Trump may be investigated for violating the Logan act which addresses meddling in national security issues.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    ^ Although not a stellar comment no it's not treason, it's an opinion protected by free speech. What's treason is slick willy accepting campaign contributions from Chinese government officials posing as business men in exchange for rocket and missle technology that will one day be used against America. Look it up if you don't believe me!

Let's all face it. Neither candidate is a great choice, not even a half decent choice. It's the epitome of the lesser of 2 evils. Although I don't like Trump i'd rather take my chances with his unknown qualities as opposed to the facts I know of Clinton based on her history.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I agree, TheeOSU, it isn't treason. Trump, like all of us has his constitutionally protected free speech right.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    One more fact to consider, Tony Schwartz the ghostwriter of Trump's book "The Art of the Deal" has called Donald Trump a liar on national television More than once, most recently on CNN this morning in an interview with Chris Cuomo, given Trumps proclivity for lawsuits he has threatened to sue in the past yet still no lawsuit has been filed.
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    I can handle liars and weaklings but I cannot vote for an irrational candidate. The only person I aligned with last night was Bloomberg. He speaks for those of us who are in the protect our money class.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Bloomberg for President in 2020 !!
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Not all speech is protected, such as advocating the violent overthrow of the government. While I don't think Trump did that, it's still a real problem encouraging our enemies to break international law for personal gain.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Trump is a master of distraction. Instead of the Clinton campaign focusing on the convention, they fell for it and commented on Trump making it worse for them. Gone are all the media stories focusing on Clinton's vp etc. and instead the people are talking about Trump's joke and the emails. I thought Hillary said she didn't put classified email on there. Nothing illegal going on here. Why be concerned with a Trump joke on the matter? If there was nothing illegal going on, why be concerned with a candidate joking about it? hmmmm, maybe she lied.

• rockstar666
    8 years ago
    The problem is, Trumps "jokes" are chilling.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I agree, rockstar with speech not being all encompassingly free. If you and I started yelling fire at the movies, we damn well better be arrested.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    To bvino That was my take on it also.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    I'm surprised conservatives think dealing with Russia to interfere with our election process is a patriotic act. Yet they try and pin Benghazi on Clinton? The hypocrisy meter just broke.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    That was the best speech of Barry's career because he was doing his impression of Ronald Reagan.

For the record, it is common knowledge that Michelle and Barry are lousy orators. They are unsurpassed at reading a teleprompter, but take away their scripts and they are reduced to stumbling, stuttering, incoherent fools. Everyone knows this. Why do you think they never do press conferences?
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Obama gives good speeches. Great President too. Need to go back to maybe JFK to find anyone that good.

SJG
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I wouldn't go that far SJG. I would say he's the best president since Reagan though.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion