tuscl

[Slightly OT] New Vanity Fair Article on Sugaring

http://tinyurl.com/hwemhdx

Slightly off-topic since I see many local strippers on Seeking Arrangement, and others I've talked with have been on SA.

Title of the article calls sugaring prostitution, and I agree if the age difference is more than about a decade.

Think of this quote whenever @Smith writes one of his sex stories:
"She confesses she isn’t physically attracted to any of these men, but “what I’m looking for in this transaction is not sexual satisfaction. Do you like everyone at your job? But you still work with them, right? That’s how it is with sex work—it’s a job. I get paid for it. I do it for the money.”

Also struck by how common this is getting, and the fact that the stigma has all but disappeared:
"The most surprising thing about Miranda’s story is how unsurprising it is to many of her peers. “Almost all of my friends do some sort of sex work,” says Katie, 23, a visual artist in New York. “It’s super-common. It’s almost trendy to say you do it—or that you would.”"

7 comments

• mrrock
    8 years ago
    I fucking a girl from a sugar site and a lotta times she puts out just for good meals! Lol gotta love it!
  • Tiredtraveler
    8 years ago
    The constant media barrage of free love that has been publicized since the 60's has loosened views about this behavior and the internet has just made it easier to make the connection.
    I am not condemning the practice at all but it has always been there and now it is becoming more mainstream. Many older men and women that have money do not want the bother of another spouse or significant other that can become a liability (divorce or palimony suit etc.)
    A P4P girlfriend give companionship, arm candy, and sex without the encumbrance of a "relationship".
    Many young people are not looking for a relationship and need financial help think why not get paid while getting a sample of the good life. Many times both parties get what they need. I does take a certain mind set to be a sugar baby(male or female) in order for it to not screw up your head.
    I would keep a sugar baby if I had the money to do so.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    From the hornse's/sugar-baby's mouth:

"... She confesses she isn’t physically attracted to any of these men, but “what I’m looking for in this transaction is not sexual satisfaction. Do you like everyone at your job? But you still work with them, right? That’s how it is with sex work—it’s a job. I get paid for it. I do it for the money" ..."
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    "... “I’ve had the ability to focus on developing myself because I’m not slaving away at a minimum-wage job. I reject it when people say I’m oppressed by the patriarchy. People who make seven dollars an hour are oppressed by the patriarchy” ..."

"... The most surprising thing about Miranda’s story is how unsurprising it is to many of her peers. “Almost all of my friends do some sort of sex work,” says Katie, 23, a visual artist in New York. “It’s super-common. It’s almost trendy to say you do it—or that you would” ..."

Well - they do keep referring to the curren U.S. economy as a service economy

"... “It’s become like a thing people say when they can’t make their rent,” says Jenna, 22, a New York video-game designer. “ ‘Well, I could always just get a sugar daddy,’ ‘I guess I could just start camming,’ ” or doing sexual performances in front of a Webcam for money on sites like Chaturbate. “And it’s kind of a joke, but it’s also not because you actually could. It’s not like you need a pimp anymore. You just need a computer” ..."
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I didn't realize feminists saw sex work as empowering and were pushing for legalization.

Also that they do not like the word prostitution but sugaring or sex work and that it has gone mainstream among the youngest generation. It is true that I work with people I don't care that much for. I just call it work and sex workers think of some customers the same, just another job.

Thanks for posting the link. I didn't realize feminists were pushing for legalization of sex work. Hillary might legalize sex work and tax it creating a big source of revenue if they can get people to report it and pay the taxes. Just thinking. Maybe not. I'm not sure how she felt about Bill getting Bj's in the White House from interns.
  • JamesSD
    8 years ago
    ^sex work is one of the big wedge issues among feminists. In generally older feminists don't like it while younger view it as more acceptable.
  • JamesSD
    8 years ago
    I likedo this article. It's interesting that the fine line between the 50 year old with the 24 year of girlfriend and total prostitution has been found. Clearly both parties like a certain veneer.

I will say it seems like sugar baby stuff is viewed as more acceptable when it's middle class white girls.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion