tuscl

Party, Cleveland Style!

TheeOSU
FUCK IT!
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:35 PM
Cleveland's parade and celebration of the Cavs' NBA Championship was today. According to ESPN and the official Cleveland estimate 1.3 million people showed up on this bright sunny 80 degree day. I had business on the westside about 2 miles from the celebration but decided that I didn't want to get any closer and deal with that huge crowd. I have to give credit to the fans. It started around 11am and wound up just before 5pm, a very long day to stand in the sun shoulder to shoulder with all of those people but there were zero reported incidents throughout the event. A shooting did occur afterwards though in a retail establishment away from the actual event, probably unrelated so I'm impressed how peaceful it was. [view link] [view link]

17 comments

• twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Was Nina the shooter ?
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    1.3 million? There must have been some Pittsburgh NBA fans there as well! Lol
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    In the past 2 days there have been interviews with people that came from all over. Former NE Ohio residents from all over the U.S. One guy even came in from Australia. Even though I'm a long time long suffering Cleveland sports fan I was 2 miles away and didn't go but I definitely do understand how rabid and starved for a winner that the fan base has been. Only the future will tell but the way Cleveland sports have gone over the years this might have been a once in a lifetime opportunity and those people wanted to be there for it. Jim Brown is on the tv news right now speaking about how sports can light up a city. Cleveland was definitely lit up today! For years I've spoke with friends saying that God hates Cleveland sports after all of our bad luck. With the beautiful weather today God smiled on Cleveland, I'm hoping that it won't be the last time he gives us that smile.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    That's a lot of people! According to Wikipedia it's the 5th largest gathering for a U.S. sports team ever. 1. Boston Red Sox 2004 (first title in 80+ years). three million 2. Chicago Blackhawks 2013, over two million 3. Philadelphia Flyers 1974, two million 4. Chicago White Sox 2005, 1.75 million 5. Cleveland Cavaliers 2016, 1.3 million
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    3 times the population of Cleveland according to NBC national news tonight. Cleveland was clearly starved for a champion. Congrats !!
  • samsung1
    8 years ago
    I got to watch the game at hustler club in cleveland. Unforgettable night!
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    "According to Wikipedia it's the 5th largest gathering for a U.S. sports team ever. 1. Boston Red Sox 2004 (first title in 80+ years). three million 2. Chicago Blackhawks 2013, over two million 3. Philadelphia Flyers 1974, two million 4. Chicago White Sox 2005, 1.75 million 5. Cleveland Cavaliers 2016, 1.3 million" "3 times the population of Cleveland according to NBC national news tonight. Cleveland was clearly starved for a champion." Vince's comment is the key and what makes it unique. The city's population tripled for those few hours. The other cities may have drawn more people and they are huge numbers but Boston, Philly, and Chicago are all much larger cities than Cleveland. Even though they've stunk and been terrible for years the Browns are still #1 in the hearts of Cleveland sports fans. If the impossible ever happens and the Browns win a Superbowl and the celebration is held on a fair weather day they have the potential to break the record. Problem is fair weather days in Cleveland in February are rarer the Browns wins.
  • Aaron_hip
    8 years ago
    At the end of the day, Cavs fans have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. they got the same personal problems they had, today. [view link]
  • DoctorDarby
    8 years ago
    I watched most of the parade coverage live on TV. It was quite a spectacle and Lebron's speech was entertaining, humble, and amusingly sprinkled with profanity (which will be bleeped in subsequent rebroadcasts). The people of Cleveland have been mocked for their lack of sophistication, but contrary to many outsider's expectations, the whole celebration from start to finish was generally orderly, good natured, and genuine, Yes, we have to go back to our real lives, but one cannot discount the boost in morale that comes with such an accomplishment. And the Indians are in first place . . .
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I guess there isn't that much to do in Cleveland :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    You've never lived till you've had buffalo amigo
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    LOL
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    At the end of the day, Aaron_hip has to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that he had before he woke up today. He has the same personal problems he had, today. Imagine that!
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    Cleveland Cavaliers! 2016 NBA - World Champions!!
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Hey - they're not World Champions - they only played North American teams :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Is TheeOSU's Cavs erection gonna last till the beginning of the next NBA season? :)
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    The Browns will kill it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion