tuscl

Facebook / Instagram / Google Voice - Privacy Issues

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
We have talked about Facebook in the past and the board is all over the place. Some guys have it, some guys don't, some are friends with strippers on Facebook and some are not.

Regardless of your stance I wanted to share something with you I found rather odd.

Using the Google phone app I have contacted strippers before. What is shocking to me is, while browsing the "recommended friends list" on my Facebook app those strippers have started showing up. I didn't even realize it at first but I found 3, which were the 3 that I he been talking to most recently. Kinda spooky, I've never called or txt'd them on my regular phone line, they don't even know my last name either, one of these strippers doesn't even live in the same time zone as me.

Now, even more strange is I have an Instagram account, which I have never even made a post from, just following people (mostly the coffee babes Juice has brought to our attention). I go look and see who is following me, and low and behold one of those strippers is following me on Instagram. I don't even have a profile pic on there so I'm guessing she probably follows every suggestion Instagram gives her and it connected me to her through the Google phone app. There's no way she could knowingly know she was following me, but she may be smart enough to know Instagram links accounts through phone numbers.

Moral of the story - Google voice numbers are linking though Instagram and Facebook. Previously I thought using a google voice number would prevent that. Apparently not!

Side note: one of the strippers and I had a great time, so I txt'd her the next time I was in town, and I received no response. That's fine I had another one lined up, but you don't even respond to a txt from me asking to come to your club and giving you money, but you're following me on Instagram!?!? Cmon now!!!!!

21 comments

• rh48hr
    8 years ago
    That's good information to know. Another reason I'm glad I don't do social media.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    If private companies have that kind of info on us, imagine the government. SCARY.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I guess I won't get Google Voice!
  • Longball300
    8 years ago
    The big G is everywhere, at anytime, with everyone...... there are no walls.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    BIG Brother is watching!
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    FLAG - 33 years ago I worked for Equifax. In my initial interview they knew every address I had lived at and every car I had insured since I was 16. That was before computers.
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    If you regularly delete cookies on your computer it might help.
  • Longball300
    8 years ago
    C Cleaner is a good one for that:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/downlo…
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    So Detroit is winning the super bowl in 2017
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    You guys are talking about "cookie cleaners" for computers - which I use.

Everything that linked me was through my smartphone - I am not sure there is a way around that.

It's not a great concern for me, my wife shuns all social media so she never snoops around my "virtual self" but still it's kinda alarming.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    This is an example of this sexy new technical field called "data science" (Google it) where huge mountains of data are processed with modern statistical methods to find connections and insights to drum up business. Your "recommended friends list" is probably the masterwork of some nerdy dude who makes $350K and never gets laid.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Hahahahahaha, juice. Detroit has lifetime seats at the SuperBowl. The team always finds a way to lose games.
  • Longball300
    8 years ago
    I use my gmail account on my smartypants phone only; An account I use no where else. I use my other two emails on my PC's only; and never the twain shall meet. I'm no computer nerd but, I think this helps maintain some privacy. Of course, I don't Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or any of that stuff; time wasters for me. I have been known to Twatter a time or two tho.....
  • MrDeuce
    8 years ago
    This is scary stuff. I'm an extremely private person and don't want *anyone* in my life to know about my SC hobby. It helps that I don't do Facebook or Instagram and only occasionally check my Twitter. Last week I finally acquired my first smartphone and created a gmail account on it. I like Longball's idea: I will use gmail only on the phone, use my other two email addresses only on my laptop, and never the twain shall meet. Good advice!
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    This is the beginning to the end

The chip is near

Mark of the beast

• JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Eventually the smartphone will be the chip and all that technology and more will be implemented in every human. Their will be no privacy as we no it now or in the past. It will be a new eara

The birth of the god's
    The death of humanity

The cyborgs are coming
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Soon we will all be of one mind logged on and connected together
  • warhawks
    8 years ago

One more reason to stay off the grid.

Never did Facebook. I don't like people knowing my business if at all possible.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    ^ Too late, you're online, you're on the grid.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    You've got to understand that nothing on the Internet is private, not from the gov't's POV. You might as well be sending your messages to the FBI and asking them to forward them for you.

But, some communications are largely anonymous, as well as encrypted. Problem is though, if they really want to unscramble it all, they can. Its just that usually they don't because the communications are of no importance.

But the situation gets worse now, since they have the big black building and record everything. So if someday they decide that your communications are important, they could retrieve them all and find their way through most attempts at creating anonymity.

So you should never talk about doing anything illegal via the Internet. And you need to always keep in mind that if the authorities want to find your messages and are willing to commit time and energy to it, they can.

It's just that most private parties have no way of doing this.

SJG
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I know someone that gave to someone's GoFund page anonymously. Apparently it required an email address and he put in his usual email address not thinking that it was the same email he used for almost everything. Suddenly the girl he gave to popped up right near the top of suggested friends on Faveook. So much for being anonymous. She happened to live less than 15 minutes away as well so based on geography, Facebook thought maybe they knew each other and she stayed near the top of the suggested friends list.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion