tuscl

If your whole state was without power for a week or longer, how far would you tr

I got a small book advertisement claiming our electrical grid is a crisis waiting to happen in between collapsing, not well maintained infrastructure or not prepared for several enemy EMP potential attacks. The book mentioned the US has more blackouts than any other developed country. The US is number 1 in at least one category now among the developed world.

If you were without power and so was your state for a week, a month, or a whole year, would you flee, fight for survival, or get out of dodge and visit a strip club anywhere they had power? The book said studies indicate 9 out of 10 Americans would likely die without power for a whole year. I was thinking it would be chaos. No manual drinking water wells. nothing would work. Couldn't even get gas.

13 comments

• sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    We'd probably be lucky if all of our nuclear facilities didn't go into meltdown and blow up. That would show North Korea or whoever launched several EMP attacks across the US, we would radiate the whole planet with so much radiation, the only survivors would need to stay underground for decades. I suppose if several states were without power for over a month, I would want to visit an area with power.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    My dad was living in Florida when a hurricane knocked out the power for I think it was 13 days. For 2 weeks he heated up soup on his gas grill. Strip clubs were not a priority.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    We had numerous really bad tornados come through here about 6 years ago. Tore up everything. We were without a power grid for like 12 days to 2 weeks. I can't remember exactly. For the first 4 or 5 days we didn't have a generator. I ran an extension cord from the jeep into the house to run our network, a lamp, fridge and freezer until we were able to get a generator.
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    We were without power for about 2 weeks after hurricane Sandy. It was rough. Electrical power has become a huge necessity. We used cell phones to get the news. We couldn't even go to the office. Some schools had power and were setup for folks to charge their phones and devices.

The honest truth is - without power - the atm machines aren't very helpful. Gas was at a shortage. Basically - folks were holding onto their cash for essentials - since the credit card machines needed power. So - without power - cash and gas were necessities - and I wasn't going to take a long trip - not knowing when things would come back up.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    I'd go to TJ!
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I guess we're all screwed if the power grid goes down for any serious length of time. No easy source of drinking water, no easy source of food, people fighting over any existing supplies after a while to fight for survival. There would probably be roving gangs or militias to control supplies needed for survival after order in society broke down.

I hope I never see that. My advertising source was trying to sell some type of expensive power generator. They claimed our enemies have EMP weapons and they wouldn't even need to invade or shoot missles over the US. They could just use so called renegade cargo ships or freighters, shoot the EMP missles up, black out the whole country. The large transformers would likely go out and take 1 to 4 years to build. The book also said the House tried to pass bills to fortify our power grid or beef it up but it was killed by the democrats in the senate every time. They claimed it was too expensive. Yeah, 9 out of 10 Americans dead after one year is too expensive to bother with spending money on as insurance.

Ok, Thanks for the comments.
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    Strip clubs would not be a priority during extended power outages. Besides, all the women would be coming to me for access to my generator. And I could have my pick of the hottest MILFs in town. And their hot college age daughters too.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I'm in San Diego. If things got bad, I'd never make it to the state line. TJ is not an option for me.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    I seriously doubt North Korea has the manpower to launch a continent wide EMP attack when they still have to deal with the issue of excessive suicides from their own citizens among other military faults.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    @Cashman where were you when Sandy struck? Good to know that by the end of the day. Cash is king.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

Do you guys remember a few years ago when there was a Chinese satellite that was spinning out of control and nobody knew where it was going to fall?

We had a U.S. Navy ship track it and shoot it out of the sky before it fell to earth.

Same thing would happen to any North Korean EMPs on any junk rockets they can cobble together.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the Koreans being able to do anything to the U.S. But they could cause South Korea some problems.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    They could cause SK problems? I would think with the strongest internet in the world, they'd have plenty of preventative measures against EMP attacks from NK, let alone any electrical issues in general.
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    @estafador I was in northeast New Jersey during Sandy. I don't have a generator - and I was lucky to not have major damage to my house. It was a long time to not have electricity.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion