tuscl

Gay wedding cakes

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:03 AM
I read today that the Peoples State of Oregon has raided the bank accounts of the evangelical christian baker for demurring upon caking a wedding cake for a gay couple. They have since stopped baking wedding cakes completely but the state has decided to rehabilitate them by stealing all their money. The real reason is the state bureaucrat is PO'ed because he arbitrarily and illegally slapped a gag order on the baker when he filed the suit to keep this out of the press. They refused to be quite exposing the bureaucrat's agenda so he is trying to punish them any way he can. While I do not give shit about anyone's preference do not force me to support your views and I will not impose mine upon you. I may argue points with you but in the end I do not care unless your view/lifestyle interferes with my business or life. I put refusing to bake the gay wedding cake in the same category as refusing to bake a turd cake or penis cake. The baker has taken a hard line against the cake now because of the lawsuit and bureaucrat. I do not understand how there can be thousands of dollars of damages considering they could have just gone to another baker. This is like the pizza maker that got sued for refusing to cater a gay wedding...What the lawsuit forgot and the media never reported was the suit was thrown out because the reason they refused to "cater" the wedding was they did not offer catering services. Keep in mind the Pizza suit was NOT in a blue hell hole like Oregon. The question is: Do business's have the right to refuse "offensive" or disagreeable business? I.E. Can you refuse to sell liquor to a drunk? Under Oregon law you do not! but you are still held responsible if he/she gets into a car and kills someone. The rub is the gay couple in question had shopped at the store for years and was never refused until they tried to buy a custom wedding cake and was told politely that the owner would prefer to have them purchase the cake elsewhere. The shop was served with the lawsuit the same day... Can we say set-up!!

7 comments

• rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I think a reasonable compromise is a public business must serve the public, so they have to bake the cake, but any gay themes as decoration are at the bakers discretion. I personally would not bake a cake with a cross or swastika on it but I feel I am obligated to provide a cake to any paying customer.
  • ilovegirlsgirls
    9 years ago
    Under Oregon law you can infact refuse to sell alcohol to a drunk. You can infact flee fuse anything to a drunk since a drunk cannot enter a legal agreement. As a public business you must serve all members of the public. They refused to bake/sell the gay couple a wedding cake, period. Any statement on catering was a legal cop out. The business benefits from the tax dollars of all citizens and should serve all citizens.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    I'm old enough to remember when businesses would refuse to serve black customers. That discrimination was wrong, and discrimination against gays is wrong now.
  • IronFox22
    9 years ago
    I'm with all the other respondents. People may not discriminate against customers based on race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation. Think about how it would sound if a business said: "It is against my religion to bake a wedding cake for a Jewish couple," or, "It is against my religion to bake a cake for a black couple." Even if you believe a particular god is against these things, you may not use those beliefs to discriminate against others in a secular democracy.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Ban the Oregon government. I hate the laws in that state
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    For the life of me, I can't understand why a gay couple would want to send their business to bigots. The beauty of the Free Market is we can vote with our dollars. Maybe it's different in smaller towns where there is one bakery, but there are literally dozens of gay friendly wedding vendors in most major cities.
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    To answer the previous poster's question, gay couples planning a wedding frequently go to religious business owners (not "bigots") precisely so that their request for a wedding cake or floral arrangement or whatever will be turned down. Then they can sue the owners and perhaps drive them out of business. All of this, of course, is done in the blessed name of tolerance.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion