tuscl

Passport Card Question

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so I can get off the grid long enough to visit HK in Tijuana at the end of the month. I'm going to be in San Diego on the 30th.

I have a passport book but not a passport card. Will I have an issue getting back through the border with the passport book as opposed to the card? And if not, how hard is it to get a passport card within 10 days?

10 comments

• warhawks
    9 years ago

You'll be fine with the passport book. That's the real deal and what you want to have to visit foreign countries all over the world.

Besides, It would take you longer than 10 days to get the credit card sized passport that allows you to travel to Canada and Mexico... (Unless you work for some secret government organization).
  • rentz2
    9 years ago
    Your question is do you think your passport is good enough to visit a foreign country? Do I need to ask that question again?
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    The card is in case you lose your passport.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "Your question is do you think your passport is good enough to visit a foreign country? Do I need to ask that question again?"

Brilliant!
  • samsung1
    9 years ago
    When returning to the United States from Mexico, travelers must clear a customs interview. To do so, travelers older than 16 must present a valid passport booklet or card, or an enhanced driver's license. Enhanced driver's licenses, or e-licenses, carry radio frequency chips that cannot be forged
  • dtek
    9 years ago
    You can use either a regular passport or a passport card to cross the border at Tiajuana. But a passport card will let you use the Ready Lane where the line is A LOT shorter (hours shorter sometimes).

Unfortunately for you, I don't know of any way to get a passport card in 10 days.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I don't have first-hand knowledge but I think it's along what dtek mentioned that one can use either but the card may expedite the process.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    dtek: I got my card when I got my passport. And BTW, I went to St. Johns and St. Thomas recently on a 3 month expired passport (because it was a last second trip). The TSA at O'Hare guy said I'm fine, but it's up to the TSA guy when you return if you're okay. Being an old white man helped because I had no issues, but if I was a 4th generation American Muslim I wonder what would have happened.
  • mjx01
    9 years ago
    It's CBP that decide whether or not to let you into the country (not TSA). Also, St. Johns and St. Thomas are US territories that AFAIK don't require a passport to visit.

A valid passport book will get you back in. Really not sure if the passport card provide any significant advantage. AFAIK, the passport card is the same slow process as getting a passport book.
  • l00ber
    9 years ago
    I just returned last week from a trip to Hong Kong and nearby establishments. The tj/san yisidro boarder crossing has lines for handicap access, Sentri (passport) card, and general line for all others. People with a passport book would file in behind the general line. The morning that I crossed over, the general line moved faster than the Sentri line. I took note of who was opposite me in the Sentri line when I first got in line, and i cleared the x-ray machine well ahead of them.

This was a limited sample size to be sure. Just know that you will have no issues crossing back if your passport book is up to date. Sentri cards are generally more useful when crossing with a car, as those lines can be dramatically longer. Also, you ate unlikely to get a Sentri card in time at such a late juncture. Passport cards have a turnaround time of about 1 to 3 months.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion