tuscl

Your RETIREMENT is being TARGETED by Hispanic Immigrants Rights Groups

New U.S.-Mexico Agreement on Social Security Benefits Is a Looming Threat to an Already Imperiled System, Warns FAIR

July 1, 2004

Millions of Bogus Social Security Accounts Pose Huge Potential Liability for American Workers and Retirees
An agreement signed on June 29 between the United States and Mexico that will allow retirees in Mexico to collect U.S. Social Security benefits could further imperil America's already fiscally unsound retirement system. The pact signed between the U.S. and Mexico would allow a limited number of Mexicans who have worked in the U.S. to collect benefits from the Social Security system, but given the Social Security Administration's (SSA) poor record-keeping and the potential for a massive illegal alien amnesty, the number of Mexicans collecting benefits could increase dramatically.

By the SSA's own admission, they do not know how many Social Security numbers are currently being used fraudulently. Moreover, under an amnesty/guest worker program proposed by President Bush, potentially millions more workers from Mexico and other countries would also qualify for Social Security benefits. Congress still has a 60-day period during which it may call for a vote and reject this agreement with Mexico.

"When it comes to immigration matters, the government invariably underestimates the costs and the numbers of people who will apply for any program or benefit," warned Dan Stein, executive director of FAIR. "What is billed as a limited program that will allow a relatively small number of people who have paid into the system to collect benefits will almost certainly turn into a feeding frenzy as lawyers line up clients who will claim benefits under the agreement. Until we straighten out the mess in our immigration system—not to mention our Social Security system—these sorts of agreements are premature and fiscally irresponsible," said Stein.

If Congress does not reject the agreement outright, passage of H.R. 1631, an amendment to the Social Security Act introduced by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), must become a top legislative priority. Under H.R. 1631 any quarters worked in the U.S. illegally would not count toward eligibility for Social Security benefits. "With the President's proposal on the table, and even more irresponsible amnesty proposals that are likely if John Kerry is in the White House next year, it is important to establish a clear policy that time worked without authorization will not be rewarded with Social Security benefits," Stein said.

Barring quarters worked illegally will also preclude a bureaucratic nightmare of trying to sort out millions of potential claims by people using an assortment of valid and fraudulent Social Security numbers and aliases. "Our Social Security system is probably not going to be able to deliver on the promises it has made to current and future retirees. Even if was possible to sort out potential claims filed by millions of illegal aliens, the benefits paid to them would come directly out of the pockets of America's own elderly," warned Stein. "That is not only fiscally irresponsible, but politically volatile."

10 comments

• TJ3
    20 years ago
    ALAN WALL: MEXICO TRYING TO ADAPT U.S. LAW TO ITS PURPOSES

As an American who resides in Mexico, I have seen U.S. immigration from the Mexican perspective. And it's been a real eye-opener," writes Alan Wall. "The Mexican government is engaged in a deliberate strategy to influence American immigration policy, increase the population of Mexicans in the United States, slow their assimilation and retain their loyalty to Mexico. This is no secret conspiracy -- Mexican leaders speak openly of it. It is already bearing fruit. If allowed to continue, the inevitable outcome will be effective control of U.S. immigration policy by a foreign power."
  • casualguy
    20 years ago
    As an ordinary American born and working here all my life. I will vote out of office anyone who gives away our limited social security funds. I've heard social security funds will be reduced or we will run out around 2030 unless taxes are increased. If Bush or Kerry grants our hard earned American social security money to people who have lived here only a little while, I promise to vote for someone else. I would think this would be obvious to the average American but since politicians may not realize this, I am stating it here. We put money into the system our whole lives and now some politicians are trying to give it away to those who only lived here a few years.
  • narwal
    20 years ago
    The Social Security system is actuarially sound until 2050. No less an alarmist than Prof. Paul Krugman has, neverthelss, had nothing but assuring things to say about it. The idea that Hispanics will destroy the system is thinly veiled fear of the other, which has been present since people started coming to this country.
  • deogol
    20 years ago
    Stuff like this is serious, so I think it can be on a discussion board. Hit the clubs chat for stripper related stuff.

Besides, it is a nice break from "She ripped me off and is a bitch" to "I am in love but the bitch used me" posts.

I don't agree with the premise of the original poster, but I do think that Mexico is using illegal immigration as an export business. They come around here, earn some American dollars and then send it back home. In essence, where we generally think of countries getting our dollars via product sales - illegal immigration is taking that route.

Second, I don't think people realize the expense illegal immigration imposes on people. Housing, hospitals, schools - they all suffer from overload of millions and millions and millions of people who should not be here, don't contribute much to the economy, and we all end up dealing with the busy waiting rooms and extra property taxes.

Has anyone ever explored how many prisoner's are illegals? 29% according to one study. You are paying the 30,000 a year it takes to house those people.

Illegal immigration has some effects on our country that no one is willing to admit.
  • TJ3
    20 years ago
    narwal, you didn't get "the idea that Hispanics will destroy the system", from me. Read what I said veeeeery sloooooowly.........-----"Hispanic Immigrants Rights Groups", like La Raza. Can you understand that?

Keep trying to learn, maybe next time around you will pass the G.E.D!

P.S. Don't believe everything Krugman(arrogant radical) says.
  • TJ3
    20 years ago
    ARIZONA HOSPITALS FORCED TO SEND BILL COLLECTORS AFTER ILLEGAL ALIENS

"Outstanding hospital bills from people south of the border are such a drain on local facilities that they're sending bill collectors into Mexico to try to get paid," the Tucson Citizen reports. "At least three hospitals, Tucson's University Medical Center, Copper Queen Community Hospital in Bisbee and Yuma Regional Medical Center, are using Tucson-based International Collection Systems for some payback."
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Hey, chiquita, tote dat cotton ! No SS for you ~~
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    Wait, Vince.... why are we bumping political commentary from 12 years ago??? Different players in Washington altogether- why not start another thread and refer to this one if you need to cite from it??
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Lately, these old discussions keep popping up, Hugh. Papi and I were discussing this the other day. I wouldn't have started this one, otherwise. With the furor that the asshole Republican is stirring up these days about immigration, perhaps that's why Rech (if he's responsible) is posting these old threads.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    ( motorboat sound )

SJG

http://doxyspotting.com/?p=104023
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion