tuscl

Russian roulette or safe bet?

Saturday, July 24, 2004 3:35 PM
ENLIGHTENED STATES THAT HAVE OUTLAWED TATTOOING: Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Vermont. Dr. Robert Haley, chief of epidemiology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, thinks most people have no idea what they're getting into when they get tattoos at commercial salons. Haley thinks that up to 40 percent of people with HCV got the disease through tattoos. "It's Russian roulette when you send your child in there to get a tattoo -- you have no idea if the chamber is loaded," says Haley, who has no faith in average people reporting unclean establishments. "Think of what a fallacy that is -- they (the city) only inspect if there's a complaint. How would a patron know if there's a problem?" Haley asks. "It might look spic and span, the guy might be wearing gloves, but these people are artists. They're not doctors or nurses." A study by Haley indicated that commercial tattoos might be responsible for a higher rate of HCV infections than previously thought. The study also concluded that: Of the 626 patients included in the study, 113 had one or more tattoos, and of those, 22.1 percent had HCV. Only 18 patients (or 3.5 percent) of those without a tattoo had HCV. Of those with tattoos and HCV, few had histories of drug use or blood transfusion. Those who have several or large tattoos (requiring numerous visits) are more likely to have HCV. Tattoos acquired in commercial establishments accounted for more than twice the number of HCV infections as intravenous drug use, and that those who were tattooed in a commercial parlor were nine times more likely to be infected with HCV than those who didn't have tattoos. The study, published in 2001, is controversial in that it turns on its ear everything the CDC says about the risk of HCV infection via tattoos. But Haley contends that his findings weren't even slightly surprising. "There's already a substantial literature in the field ... at least half a dozen studies showing that tattooing transmits hepatitis B and C," says Haley, who forwarded copies of those studies to the P-I. "We were confirming what was already known."

5 comments

• jtmad
    20 years ago
    If you don't like tattoos, don't get one. Modern tattooing is completely safe in my experience (providing you go to a professional parlor), where needles and ink are NEVER reused. There is a stigma that follows the art, and it will take a long time to lose the unclean image. A lot of the negative press comes from those who have a tattoo party, or have something done in a friend's basement. This is where disease and problems enter into the equation. I have 5 tattoos, and I don't regret any of them; each one has personal meaning.
  • TopGunGlen
    20 years ago
    As I understand it, in California, no one with a tattoe is allowed to donate blood. A doctor friend told me this, so getting one must have severe risks involved...
  • Clean and Sober
    20 years ago
    Hepatitis-C = HPV. DB, the statement about the states was from a different source. Thanks for updating it. Do a simple google search on -tattoos hepatitis- and you will find the sources for the study which is the bulk of my post.
  • DB Cooper
    20 years ago
    Tatooing is not "outlawed" in Connecticut and while it was illegal in Mass, that law was repealed two years ago. It's difficult to accept your arguements if you can't even get the simple facts straight.
  • SuperDude
    20 years ago
    A bias and probably not fair or logical, but I have always believed that tatoos where unsightly and unsanitary.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion