tuscl

OT: The Devil of Detroit

Estafador
BIG APPLE
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/29492843/…

Those who visit or live in Detroit, have you heard about their new statue? It's suppose to be a symbol of “complementing and contrast the Ten Commandments monument that already resides on Oklahoma State Capitol grounds.” Sounds pretty much like, go against the word of god and choose a more correct power. What's your take on this? I'm not christian, but I can't see myself dressing up to appreciate a symbol of demons.

6 comments

• jackslash
    9 years ago
    I am a Christian, but I don't see any harm in such a statue, although I'm not going to worship it. My understanding is that the statue is a somewhat satirical protest against the Ten Commandments monument in Oklahoma. I lived in Oklahoma City for a short time, and I know how much ignorance and bigotry resides in the state.

The Ten Commands monument clearly violates the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Oklahoma has argued that the Ten Commandments is historical and cultural, and so does not constitute the establishment of religion. The Satanic Temple (which seems to really be an atheist organization) is trying to set up the devil statue to show the hypocrisy of the state government.

I think freedom of religion is very important, and governments should not impose any beliefs.
  • georgebailey
    9 years ago
    It got Bert's in the news. That's what's important. I don't care for Bert's. They're probably closing and something better moving in. The Satan thing is a ploy.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

I work in Detroit every work day. Go clubbing there too.

Never heard of that place. First I've heard of it. So probably just some publicity stunt.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^ someone's just trying to make money and be tax exempt at the same time - that's what we call "religion" around here!
  • bvino
    9 years ago
    This a new "Satanic" group that started a few years ago mainly to put "offensive" images up under the guise of religious freedom. They are mostly a tongue -in cheek group with no" real" Satanists in the mix. Mostly a spoof ,but a good one. There is no state religion in this country and their activities are legitimate. Better if no one fobbed their religion in public areas.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    The is an on line petition out there to have the Cracker Barrel restaurants to change its name to Caucasian Barrel because cracker if offensive to some white people. :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion