tuscl

Big Ten Inch Record

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:03 PM
You guys remember this? This was the greatest song ever to play at a party......... [view link]

17 comments

• motorhead
    9 years ago
    I love Aerosmith. One of the seminal bands of my formative years. But was always surprised this record got a lot of radio time back in the day.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Not surprisingly. the 1952 original by "Bull Moose" Jackson got no airplay....lol [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Yes, I used to listen to it regularly as I would just let the whole album play. This was before digital and play lists. I remember cleaning the records, then putting the tone arm down, then closing the cover, and then and only then turning the gain up. I also remember building a rumble filter circuit, so that record warps would not make the speaker cones move. SJG Jeff Beck [view link]
  • jerikson40
    9 years ago
    Yeah....uh...no. Sorry to disagree, but that was one of those moronic songs based on a wink-wink, nudge-nudge "joke" that was stupid in the first place. Yeah, everyone thought he was talking about a 10 inch dick, then suddenly he surprises you...it was a record. Ha ha. That's funny. So after you hear it once the joke is over, and it's just a crappy song for drunk college kids. And IMO, Aerosmith was a rock group for white guys with no rhythm. But I loved when they visited Wayne and Garth. Excellent.
  • rattdog
    9 years ago
    steven tyler was turned down for the led zep gig. I wondered what songs he had to sing for that audition.
  • jerikson40
    9 years ago
    Led Zeppellin is comprised of musical gods.... Steven Tyler is a mere mortal. He's not worthy. Compared to Robert Plant? No, please, don't even consider it.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I like Zep. I don't like that sappy song made for hippy dippies at their wedding...."Stairway to Heaven"
  • jerikson40
    9 years ago
    ."Stairway to Heaven" Greatest rock song ever, both in this universe and any other universe, from the beginning until the end of time. Amen.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Don't recall ever hearing it, but then Areosmith is way down my list of bands.
  • jerikson40
    9 years ago
    Mikey sez: "Not surprisingly. the 1952 original by "Bull Moose" Jackson got no airplay....lol" wow, no shit? A black guy recorded that back in the '50's??? Damn that's racy for the 50's, but a black guy singing it in the 50's? Wow.... "Marge, is that Negro singing about a "big 10 inch"?????"
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    ^^^ retarded is as retarded does
  • Tiredtraveler
    9 years ago
    Great song off the Toys in the Attic LP That is Rock and Roll Who can believe that Liv Tyler and her sister the super model were sired by Steven Tyler.....
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I can't imagine how many times I must have listened to this on vinyl. I always kept my stylus pressure adjusted real low, lower than the cartridge manufacturer recommended. Toys in the Attic [view link] I did not know this at the time, but in the decades which followed I would hear interviews with the Aerosmith band members where they said that their music was intended to capture that adolescent experience of masturbation. About Liv Tyler, this movie is really good: [view link] Bertolucci knows what he is doing. But this movie is a sweet movie. It is not like Last Tango in Paris or 1900. One thing about it which doesn't seem real, the roadside hookers. They look too good, and the place is too rural to make it worth their standing at the crossroads. So it seems to be more symbolic. But I still like it and I like to look at them. SJG
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I read up on the original Bull Moose Jackson recording. Of course it was too Risque for the 50's to be played on the radio, but sales were still quite good. Supposedly, a member of Aerosmith's staff who handled logistical stuff for their tours (and who was their drug supplier) heard the song on the Dr. Demento radio show and recommended it to the guys.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Aerosmith, 1973 debut album [view link] I like! SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Being a blues based form of hard rock, Aerosmith's music maintains a degree of harmonic dissonance. But it also has the rich seductiveness of its harmonies found in the Beatles and various power pop artists. This is probably why strippers would sometimes go for it, but not for Led Zeppelin. But Aerosmith also uses really interesting lyrics. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Aerosmith, live Houston, 1977 [view link] including "Big Ten Inch Record" SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion