tuscl

Rod Stewart

jerikson40
New York
I'm bored today, listening to music. And I've realized that some of my favorite music now is the old songs of the 30's and 40's that Rod Stewart covered in his Great American Songbook...what was that 10 years ago or something he recorded that. Damn that guy can sing. Never liked him back in the 70's and 80's when he was popular, but now when he does the old standards the guy is awesome. And can you believe I had never heard the song "I Don't Want to Talk About It" in all these years until I heard him do it on that recent album. Damn, some great music.

I must be getting to be a old fart.

Anyway it turns out his real love is model trains. The guy is a fanatic with model trains, and has some insane layout that's been in railroad magazines. Cool, I used to be into that. And he also had one of the great lines: "Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."

Guy's pushing freaking 70 years old, and still doing his thing. Always hanging with gorgeous blonde wimmenz.

14 comments

• londonguy
    10 years ago
    He had some good songs, sadly in my opinion he isn't a good singer but each to their own. If you were to hear him sing live now,which he VERY rarely does, you would probably agree that it's time he retired.

He has just told reporters "I've put my last banana in my last fruit bowl"
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I've always been a fan. "Maggie May" and "Every Picture Tells a Story" are timeless classics.

But I'll never get the urban legend out of my head that he orally serviced an entire ship of sailors in a San Diego bar and had to have a quart of semen pumped from his stomach. Blech!
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Londonguy,

I guess I am a fan of unique voices. I like Rod Stewart and Bob Dylan, neither who would be considered a technically proficient singer. Many thought Jim Morrison from the Doors was not a good singer. But I thought he had a great voice.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    Damn it Motor !! Why did you have to tell me that thing about the sailors ?? You ruined it for me...

Anyway, I did some checking, and apparently that story was made up by an ex-publicist of Stewart's after he was fired. So I feel better now.

And I could never stand "Maggie May". I dunno, most people love it, but not me.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Speaking of old standards, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga came out with an album "Cheek to Cheek" this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoyTlfU…
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Jerkoffson: "I must be getting to be a old fart. "

Getting to be? Bit of an understatement. This just doned on you?
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    jerikson, what's your favorite Barry Manilow song?
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Rod Stewart's voice HSS always reminded me of Louis Armstrong's - "a tired piece of sandpaper calling to its mate." ;)
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I didn't know he was into model railroading. That is something that I and Club_Goer are into.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Not much of a rod stewart fan myself other than a couple of songs by the faces. My 88 year old grandmother is a rod stewart fan she thinks he's good to dance too.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    "Someone like you makes it hard to live without....
    Somebody else"

favorite Stewart lyric
  • rattdog
    10 years ago
    fave rod stewart album was the live concert from the L.A. forum 1980. on that tour he opened up for the rolling stones and word was that he and his band destroyed the stones. blew them off the stage. gi' me wings sounds great live.
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    ^^ really...he outdid the Stones?

I went to a Simple Minds concert once, they were outdone by The Stranglers before them. You guys may not have heard of either group though?
  • magicrat
    10 years ago
    I don't know about outdoing the Stones, but I have seen him a couple times and he does put on a good show.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion