tuscl

Offtopic. is it really necessary for a town to run the tornado sirens when it un

I think not. However we are already got at least 1/2 of snow on all grassy surfaces here west of Columbia South Carolina. Highs today expected in the upper 40's.

Shadow said one inch of snow can shut down Atlanta so maybe they do think this is an emergency. It was in the 80's just a few days ago here. The ground is warm. I still have my air conditioning on but it hasn't turned on since last night.

18 comments

• sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Actually I do not want to lose power. There are still green leaves on almost every tree except dogwoods and maples. I saw my lights flicker.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Here in Michigan, if they turned on the tornado sirens every time it snowed, the sirens would be on all winter.

I think the sirens should only be used when there is a sharknado.

• shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I said 1/2 inch of snow shuts down Atlanta. 1 inch and they call out the national guard. :)
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Back in the mid-80s, a little bit of snow followed my brother down to Florida when he moved there. Maybe a half an inch of the stuff, tops. Nobody knew how to drive in it, so the Highway Patrol was closing down the highways. My brother pulled up to one of those blockades, and they tried waving him back. He pointed down at his license plate: North Dakota. They opened the blockade and waved him on through.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I heard Lexington , just a few miles from Platinum Plus in Columbia, got 5 inches. From a picture, it looked like at least 3 inches accumulated.

Of course several hours later emergency services called my home phone and said they were having a problem with the tornado sirens. Here I thought maybe it was a winter weather warning siren. It went off like 5 times this morning.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    I survived an ef 3 tornado in a small town where they didnt think it appropriate to use the sirens. Why would they use them for snow?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    What's snow?
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Oh my! You effete southerners and these microscopic amounts of snow that throw your lives into chaos.

I chortle.
  • AnonymousJim
    10 years ago
    Here in Wisconsin, an inch of snow delays us from getting to the ice fishing pond by 10 minutes.
  • samsung1
    10 years ago
    i heard tornado sirens today around noon here in ohio
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    @sharky In Augusta, no snow. Left PP Cola at 5am no snow. Where the hell did all this snow happen all of a sudden?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    fa,

I know "chortle", but to me, that sounds like some fatal disease. :)
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Speaking of fatal diseases, shouldn't we have some kind of ebola sirens?
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I think the tornado sirens woke me up around 6:30 am. It was snowing hard and still dark outside. The snow probably made it's way towards Columbia not long after.

I would have slept through it all if not for the tornado sirens. The leaves are still on the trees here and they were bending over a lot. Maybe a power problem set off the sirens. My lights were flickering. I saw some large branches and a tree or two down on my way to Greenville last night. It all melted within hours. It's more of an amazing novelty to see snow before the first frost of the season. It only snows here maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It's probably more like the temperature hitting 100 degrees in Canada. It almost never happens but when it does, peope talk about it.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    @sharkhunter,

In my lifetime I have never experienced 100F temperature in my part of Canada (Alberta and North West Territories). The hottest temp would have been something like 35C-36C (95F-96F). I did experience such horrific temperatures when I worked in Algeria and Saudi Arabia. In particular I remember one day in Saudi's eastern desert: 47C (116F) !!! Gawd, how I hated those places.

By the way, 20cm of snow in Calgary the last 36 hours. The world did not end, no tornado sirens.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Snow is rare here but I guess not as rare as 100 degrees in Canada. Even if the temp got to 100, I bet it would be a dry heat with low dew points. Maybe our snow event is more like temps in the 90's in Canada. The roads were not really affected at all. it was in the 80's just a few days ago so the ground was too warm in most places for it to cause much of any problem.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Lol, when I woke up to constant tornado sirens and looked outside and saw snow, The thought occurred to me what if Atlanta got nuked and fallout was falling down and it would be radioactive. We'd be screwed. I checked the temperature and it was cold enough for snow. Someone probably wanted everyone to wake up and see the snow before it melted away.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    So tell me, snowbirds, what does a siren do, blow the snow away, or are some so stupid they can't see the snow? Really what is the purpose of the siren?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion