tuscl

Ever been woken up by an Earthquake?

I heard a rumbling noise. It must have woken me up. I heard on the news there was an Earthquake.
I've had my house shake more from thunderstorms. Hopefully I don't find any new cracks in my house that need repaired.

I thought only my relatives in California had to worry about earthquakes.

Have you ever been woken up by one?

20 comments

• lopaw
    11 years ago
    More times than I care to remember.
  • snowtime
    11 years ago
    Not sure where you are posting from, but I was on the phone with a friend in South Carolina (near Spartanburg) tonight and he said he just felt an earthquake. I did not realize they happened in this area. I am planning to go up there tomorrow so I hope it is a one time thing.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Yep. 1971 Sylmar and 1994 Northridge earthquakes in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. Both occurred in the early morning hours. Quite a frightening experience!
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%…

Hopefully it did not do any damage to my house.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I read it was felt from Atlanta to Columbia, SC, up to NC. The governor in Columbia felt it too.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I thought I heard something when I woke up like some kind of loud rumbling noise. I didn't know what it was. It wasn't as loud as some thunder that really shook my house. Some of the thunder at times sounds like I'm getting bombed shaking walls and everything. It's raining here and I probably would have thought it was just a thunderstorm if not for having channel 4 on. Apparently I fell asleep with the Olympics on and the news came on.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I lived in So. Cal. for 45 years and 2 years in Japan. So yes.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Shit, I woke up for the 94' quake, my cousin was freaking out, I went back to sleep. Asshole yanked me by my ankles out of bed and drug me to the doorway. I had a bump on the back of my head from hitting the wood floor.
  • sofaking87
    11 years ago
    The biggest we've had was a 2.3, and before that a 1.2. No one felt it, lol!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @SofaKing-California has quakes everyday. The thing is, most are 3.0 and below. Most are in low populated areas.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    If you are talking about last night,yes.But I thought it was my gf rocking my world.
    11 years ago
    Twice. First was in Westchester County NY on a Sunday morning about 6. Only a 4.0 but epicenter was 5 miles away. It was a lengthy one and I dreamed of an Exorcist like experience. Seemed like 30 seconds.

The other may have been that Northridge one. Regardless I was vacationing in Anaheim CA about 20 years ago. Something like 2 AM we wake up to the earthquake, sirens going off, flashing lights. I headed to the door jam until it subsided. Once it stopped I looked out at the complex pool and it had one foot waves with water sloshing out over the sides.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I initially thought maybe it was rolling thunder or a plane. Then I fell back asleep and heard Earthquake on the news.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Living in the upper Midwest, earthquakes are relatively unknown. We get blizzards, tornadoes, and floods, but earthquakes are pretty rare.

About 20-25 years ago, I was quietly watching television when I felt a weird rumbling sensation that last for a few seconds. An earthquake was the furthest thing on my mind...I too just thought it was a plane or big truck. I was sure surprised when I saw on the news that an earthquake was indeed felt in our area.

California isn't the only place for earthquakes. The New Madrid seismic zone located in SE Missouri and southern Illinois has produced some of the most strongest quakes in Northern America, but none in recent years.

There are two schools of thought on the potential for another large in the Midwest. There are some geologists who predict a devastating 8.0 or larger quake in this century. If that happens, towns like St. Louis or Memphis could be severely damaged and the loss of life could exceed the 1906 San Francisco quake.

Others says the lack of much major activity is a good sign and predictions of a 8.0 quake are exagerrated.

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    "The most powerful quake in recorded history to hit South Carolina occurred on Aug. 31, 1886, according to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. The quake with an estimated magnitude of 7.6 was centered near Summerville, S.C. Approximately 60 people died as a result of the quake. It was reported that ground shaking damaged structures as far away as 200 miles from Charleston. It was the strongest earthquake known to hit the East Coast."

• farmerart
    11 years ago
    Years ago on a drilling site I experienced a ground-moving 'bump', My heart sunk and I was sure that a blowout was mere moments away.

God bless the BOP.

• sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    Yeah, many times. I'm a born and bred Angeleno thru and thru and I have rumbled thru many of them. After years of living with them if your awakened in the middle of the night you open your eyes just long enough to make sure that it's just a mild one and go right back to sleep.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    no... the only earthquake I've had the displeasure of experience was in the middle of the day at work (during the east coast quake that hit DC/VA/PA area about 2 years ago I think)
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    NOT where I live.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I was surprised to read how often South Carolina has earthquakes since this was my first and second I ever noticed. I was also surprised to read east coast earthquakes tend to be felt over a bigger distance. The big one that hit South Carolina was felt all over the east coast.
    “The Charleston earthquake of 1886 was felt over 2 million square miles,” Talwani said. “It rang bells in Boston, it was felt in Chicago, it was felt in Texas, it was felt in Bermuda. A comparable earthquake, the World Series earthquake (of 1989), was barely felt outside of California.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/02/15/32699…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion