tuscl

Kansas Court Rules Strippers are Eligible for Unemployment

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
http://cjonline.com/news/2013-02-01/cour…

"The Supreme Court, however, found that the club exercised control over the dancers that constituted an employer-employee relationship. Among those controls were rules regarding contact between dancers and customers, fines for violations of those rules, and club-established standards involving minimum tips required of customers."

Another court ruling calls into question the independent contractor model. The problem is that the strip clubs want to exercise control like an employer but do not want to accept employer responsibilities.

13 comments

• canny
    12 years ago
    The strippers lost that case. This means the club has to report their tips for the purposes of unemployment insurance and the club is also going to report their tips to the IRS.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @canny: Not quite. The club is probably required, depending on applicable law, to report a *percentage* of revenue the girls generate, e.g. dances they sell, etc, as tips. It's up to the girls to report anything above that.
  • zipman68
    12 years ago
    @GMD. True dat. Will probably encourage OTC. Strippers probably be thinking "IRS don't need to know 'bout no OTC tips, do they?" In other news, Juice be plannin' a Kansas trip. Packin' up a whole BUNCH o' cucumbers now!
  • carolynne
    12 years ago
    i might just have to go off the grid entirely
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    Employers also have to pay into the unemployment fund. And if strip club owners aren't careful, they will be paying the employers' portion of social security and medicare taxes too.

Personally, I think the independent contractor model is better for both dancers and customers. But club owners must treat the dancers as independent contractors, not as a ruse for evading their responsibilities.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    "Personally, I think the independent contractor model is better for both dancers and customers. But club owners must treat the dancers as independent contractors, not as a ruse for evading their responsibilities."

Agreed.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Can't have your cake and eat it too.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @Dougster: Well of *course* you can. In fact, there's no point in *having* cake if you can't eat it.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Once you eat it it's gone, and you no longer have it.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    commented 4 Hours Ago

"Personally, I think the independent contractor model is better for both dancers and customers. But club owners must treat the dancers as independent contractors, not as a ruse for evading their responsibilities."

Agreed.

I agree too.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    But then you will have had it and eaten it, too. Doesn't mean the saying isn't silly.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    The lawyers love this. :)
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    The lawyers may love it, but it is the owners making it complicated.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion