tuscl

Fire exits

Corvus
Arizona
Monday, January 28, 2013 4:16 PM
Just watched the news reports of the night club fire in Columbia which killed over 200. I don't think that kind of fire (directly started by the band's action) would start in a SC, but I'll be more aware of emergency exits next time I go clubbing. Be safe out there.

21 comments

• Alucard
    11 years ago
    Might be difficult to find the exit if you're highly intoxicated.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Is that some kind of reflex?
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I'm aware of an emergency exit in one club right in the lap dance room. Another club, I seem to always forget about it. I do remember a fire marshal appeared in the club one night and a dancer told me they could shut the club down if the club wasn't up to code. Made me feel better.
  • rockie
    11 years ago
    Brazil?
  • RossVa
    11 years ago
    Brazil, not Columbia. Different countries.
  • Corvus
    11 years ago
    @Rockie, you are right. It was Brazil not Colombia.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    There was a terrible fire in Brazil. I remember one in the US several years ago. Others around the world apparently have not taken steps to prevent this from repeating again and again. It's sad so many have to pay with their lives because safety is not important enough. Even here in the US, I believe I heard the fire sprinkler law only applies to new buildings, not sure though. I'm not sure how well it is enforced either. I believe it was made retroactive to any building with 150 or more people. This reminds me of a chicken processing factory where workers died in a fire and could not get out because the emergency doors were locked to prevent employees from sneaking out. A lack of safety enforcement costs lives.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I believe it wasn't that long ago over a hundred died in a night club in Russia.
  • crsm27
    11 years ago
    The one in the USA was about 10 years ago in NJ i think....or NY. But yep killed 100 people.
  • inno123
    11 years ago
    Most of these stories include one or more of the following elements: Somebody sees an industrial building and thinks 'great club' without understanding that the occupants/sf are entirely different between commercial and assembly occupancy. THEN they decorate the place with fabric or soundproofing material that thep pick up on the cheap, not understanding that any fabric in an assembly space, particularly in vertical locations like drapes, must be fire-treated. THEN they decide not to change the exit hardware to panic-bars. THEN they learn that customers or even employees are letting people in through the back door or conducting illegal transactions through it, so they padlock the back door. THEN you get disaster.
  • inno123
    11 years ago
    BTW what you should see when sitting in a club are two exist, clearly marked, on opposite sides of the club. When open they should both be either unlocked on equipped with panic bar hardware.
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    "Even here in the US, I believe I heard the fire sprinkler law only applies to new buildings, not sure though. I'm not sure how well it is enforced either. I believe it was made retroactive to any building with 150 or more people." As far as I know, it's just new buildings or alterations to existing buildings (including housing new uses in them), although codes vary by state. In California, they're not technically required in all buildings, but the incentive to do so is significant. It's mostly that way because the easiest way to enforce it is during the permitting and building inspection process. "Somebody sees an industrial building and thinks 'great club' without understanding that the occupants/sf are entirely different between commercial and assembly occupancy." They still have to get a building permit for it, for which they'll have to demonstrate that the building has adequate exiting for an assembly occupancy (unless they lie in their permit documentation, which is a different problem).
  • JuiceBox69
    11 years ago
    I saw that on the news to......sucked for them........I hope god is with those that morn....and yes be safe out their
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    crsm- The one that happened in the US 10 years ago was at the Station in Rhode Island. The band Great White, mostly known for their song "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" (one I heard at my favorite club the last time I went), was performing on stage and they did some pyrotechnics and burnt the place down and 100 people died, including their bassist. The scenario in Brazil sounds exactly alike except the death toll was much higher. I read a band member even died in their incident. They should consider themselves lucky it didn't happen next year (when Brazil has the World Cup) or 2016 (when Rio has the Olympics). As for fire exits, I generally know where there at in the clubs I visit regularly. One club I go to has one in their topless lapdance room. I wonder what would happen if it was freezing out and they pulled the alarm, would all these topless ladies be running around outside? Some of the ladies like to complain about how cold it is there, but that would be nothing in comparison.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    Fire Sprinklers in existing building requirements are state by state and type of building material and occupancy/use requirements. I always note the fire exits in clubs, hotels and planes relative to my location. I think the last major fire incedent in the US was a club in New York and the fire was set and exits purposely blocked at a Haitian club or something like that. If a club is jamb packed I don't stay around and go elsewhere. I am not into crowds and you can't get a dancers attention when the are mutiple patrons for every dancers.
  • azdd
    11 years ago
    The biggest risk factor in crowded clubs is that in an emergency EVERYONE tends to try and exit the same way they came in. This is human nature, and in both the Rhode Island and Brazil fires, most of the deaths were the result of people panicking at a single clogged exit, trampling each other, and being trapped until the smoke killed them. The best thing you can do is identify other exits and always keep those locations in mind, even if you move about the club. In almost every case, there ARE other exits, but they are ignored as everyone tries to get out the front door.
  • JuiceBox69
    11 years ago
    Azd love your avatar brotha
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I'm not a fan of two-story clubs. Many of the private dance areas are upstairs at the Flight Club in Detroit. If a fast spreading fire broke out upstairs, that might not turn out well.
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    Sharkhunter, if I recall correctly
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    ... that chicken processing plant fire was in tne Carolinas.
  • steve3003
    11 years ago
    Similar shit happens everywhere. Some years back, folks at a niteclub in Berlin got toasted. Used to always check for them exits when visiting clubs (in younger days). Strip clubs are relatively safe since pyros are rare (them boobs on flame shit don't count).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion