tuscl

Favorite Books

Saturday, April 8, 2006 1:00 AM
I was wondering what types of books TUSCLers are reading. Which are your favorites. I'll start, Horror fiction: anything by Bentley Little. This includes "The Store, The Mailman, and The Resort." Also the new Stephen King novel about Cell phones was a decent quick read. Also a departure in style for him. Geeky Tech: Mostly photoshop books about compositing, masking, levels, curves, color correction, retouching and digital photography. How To: Anything poker related Biographys: "How Black was our Sabbath" Please participate everyone.

20 comments

• FONDL
    18 years ago
    I read the DaVinci Code about a year ago and thought it was excellent. But don't expect the movie to be anything close to the book, the plot is much too complex for a movie, which is, of course, why it's so good. Also don't bother reading his other books, they aren't as good and I felt like I kept reading the same book over and over again - same plot, different characters and setting.
  • SuperDude
    18 years ago
    Also reading -- Paris 1919--a history of the Versailles Peace conference and the decisions that lead us to where we are today.
  • SuperDude
    18 years ago
    Current reading: A Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a study Lincoln's managment of his Cabinet. The Big Test, by Nicholas Leamann, a study of the history, growth and misapplication of the SAT, GRE, GMAT and LSAT--how they were developed and abused. On hold--the paperback of the DaVinci Code. I want to read it before the movie in May.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Thanks, Chandler, I'll look on [view link] for "Miami Blues." Sounds like you enjoy much the same kind of stuff that I do. Suggest you try "The Burgler Who ..." books by Lawrence Block. Or the "McNally" books by Laurence Sanders. Both series are very well written and very humorous. Fortunately Block is still writing.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    FONDL: Charles Willeford was an old WWII vet who lived a colorful life and wrote a lot of different kinds of books. He wrote about sex and morality with a refreshing, bullshit-free insight. He never gained much recognition until the last years of his life in the 1980s with his crime series set in Miami featuring Hoke Mosely, a rumpled middle-aged detective. It's sort of the unglamourous antithesis of Miami Vice. There are 5 or 6 books in the series, all of which I think have been recently reprinted by Vintage. Start with the first and best-known, 'Miami Blues', and I bet you'll be hooked. His earlier pulp novels and memoirs are also good. I usually love the first 20 pages or so of a Carl Hiaasen book where he introduces his characters, then grow weary of his stereotypes and constant wackiness. I think I recall flipping through a Tim Dorsey novel in the bookstore and rejecting it as too screwball for my taste. Actually, the plot ingredients of Laurence Shames' books sound like they'd be insufferably wacky, but his subtle, graceful writing style pulls it off.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Chandler, I first read every Shames book while visiting Key West - I used to save them for vacation before he quit writing. I was told by a book seller there who knew him that he was moving to California and intended to start a new series there, but so far I haven't heard of anything. Now my favorite FL vacation author is Randy Wayne White, who I shouuld have included on my favorites list. I'll also do a Tim Dorsey novel in a pintch, but he's a bit too wacky for me. I do like Carl Hiaasen though. James W. Hall is fun too. If you remember John D. MacDonald, you've probably also read Mickey Spillane and Richard S. Prather, they were also part of my formative years. I also enjoy re-reading an Agatha Christie or Rex Stout when I'm in the mood. I'm not familiar with Charles Willeford.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    FONDL: I almost suggested Laurence Shames to you on an earlier book thread, given his Key West settings. He's raally an overlooked treasure. I prefer his light comic touch to the (I feel) tiresome, over-broad farce of Carl Hiaasen's Florida mysteries and the cliches that Elmore Leonard has fallen into since about 1985 (I still enjoy him, just not as much as before). I'm also a fan of John D. MacDonald, although my favorites are Ross MacDonald and Charles Willeford.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    I read mostly modern mysteries, particularly semi-dark or comic PI series. Favorite authors include Robert Parker, Lawrence Block, William Tapply, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, Bill Pronzini, Marcia Muller, Laurie King. My favorite author is John D. MacDonald, who got me hooked on all this years ago, and I re-read his books regularly, especially the Travis McGee books. I'm currently re-reading all of Laurence Shames Key West books. I collect first editions of my favorite mystery authors and have a pretty good collection because I've been doing it for many years. I sometimes also read spiritual books like those by Neale Donald Walsch. I'm an avid reader and read 2-3 books a week. I rarely watch TV except for football.
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    davids: What's the matter fuckwad? Incapable of civilized participation?
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    It's amazing how one CUNT under a couple names (davids/clifbar) will put SO MUCH EFFORT into ruining a thread but still not be able to do it. Even though he/she was invited nicely to participate clifbar/davids chooses to act like a yard ape. Funny considering the opinion this person seems to hold about the rest of the TUSCLers.
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    Saw that and I agree about the fight scenes. The power and grace that Kenpo displays is to me amazing.
  • Clubber
    18 years ago
    Stephen King
  • ummyeah
    18 years ago
    parody = He was, without doubt, one of the absolute baddest mofo's ever to grace this earth. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the movie "The Perfect Weapon" starring Jeff Speakman who studied under Mr. Parker. The fight scenes in the movie are some of the most accurate representations of Kenpo on film.
  • davids
    18 years ago
    Also starting a new book by AbNormal (PhDs in the sciences of revisionist history and the creation and knock down of strawmen.) In the book he argues his theories that the subhuman "parodyman-->" is actually a "missing link" between higher primates and humans.
  • davids
    18 years ago
    Oh, my favorite books: Let's see parody subhuman's wife diary in which she complains about how disappointed she is about her marriage and how parody cares more about strippers than about her. Also "My Life as an 'Extras Girl' " by parody's mother.
  • davids
    18 years ago
    Isn't Anthony Robbins that NLP guy?
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    davids / clifbar instead of ruining this thread participate. I'm sure people would be interested in what you read.
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    ummyeah: Ed Parker Sr. = one bad mofo!
  • GooberMan
    18 years ago
    Anything by Ayn Rand, Anthony Robbins, Hyrum Smith, Charles Givens, Suze Orman or Stephen Covey.
  • ummyeah
    18 years ago
    This is going to be a partial list, but here goes. Some Favorites The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony Tales of the Nightside by Simon R. Green Super System I & II by Doyle Brunson The Gunslinger series by Stephen King (except for the last one, I haven't read it yet) A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy Currently reading Pimp by Iceberg Slim Infinite Insights into Kenpo vol. I-V by Ed Parker Sr. some other light fantasy novel whose title escapes me at the moment
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion