tuscl

Media portrayal of strippers

Lone_Wolf
Arizona
Does the media capture the true portrayal of strippers or the SC industry as a whole?

It seems that most the articles I read about strippers tend to greatly exagerate their income and, most, don't really touch on what a stripper has to do to make a living. It is like the people doing the story never frequent a SC and really have little idea of what goes on inside them.

Even when the news stories are slanted and try to degrade the profession, they almost end up glamorizing it instead by overstating the earning potential and understating what most top earners really do to make good cash.

The few strippers I've gotten to know don't earn near the amount of money I've seen quoted in most the articles I've read.

12 comments

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    NO!!!!

NEVER.
  • Corvus
    12 years ago
    Most news people know little or nothing about the topics they work on. That is why most news sources suck.

The story can be on farm subsidies, the city council or strip clubs. Reporters rarely know anything and are just trying to tell a story and get noticed so they can move up the ladder of their profession.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Try reading a Yahoo story, it's plainly obvious, these writers are hacks and don't know shit. Likewise with a lot of media types on the strip club industry.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    News reports are all about hype. Many years ago a reporter for the Los Angeles Times spent 6 hours in my office observing what I and my co-workers did. When the article was published, we were surprised to find out what we did. LOL.
  • Rod8432
    12 years ago
    As Paul Simon wrote in "Have a Good Time" - "I don't believe what I read in the papers. They're just out to capture my dime."

The cost of the paper dates the song, but the sentiment's the same. And stripper stories are among the worst. They're mostly sensationalized moralizing tripe written to deliver eyeballs to advertisers.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago

Whenever there's a strip club in a TV show such as Law and Order: SUV, the writers potray the clubs as sleazy dives with perverted old men as customers and the dancers as lying, thieving, whores.

Now that's not even remotely close to the truth, is it?
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    Doug writes for L&O?
  • TortillaChip
    12 years ago
    If media portrayal's of the strip club industry were accurate, the strip club industry would receive 10x the heat it does currently from politicians and LE. Be happy those people are too busy eating donuts or lying to voters to actually pay attention.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    Some clubs seem to be very clean and nearly unbelievable in their operation. Yes, these are not in the middle of the so called bell curve.

Other clubs certainly live up to the reputation, if not more so. These are not in the middle of the bell curve either.

Then there are those with the mixed apples - some good, some bad - in the middle of the bell curve.

The US news media is kind of, well, biased. Some are known to be far right, some are known to be far left, some are known to be red, other's blue... heck, some are as grey as Anderson Cooper's hair.

I guess what I am saying, is if anyone does a story - it is anecdotal to the industry. Some clubs one never hears about or from. They are good clean clubs. Others are on the news every month or two. It is hard to use one club to describe all of them. It is like used car places - some are much better than others. That said, most news organizations don't try to play up the other clubs as bad as the one they are focusing on.

Some movies portray dancers outstandingly, like the wife of the character played by Will Smith (Vivica Fox) in "Independence Day" - definitely a tent pole movie. Some a little more fun, such as Demi Moore in "Striptease."

Anyhow, movies are full of strip club portrayals.

Bloggers - they can offer up opinion (and agenda), and boy do they. They enjoy stereotypical wide brush portrayals.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Marisa Tome (sp?) in "The Wrestler."
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    Well said Lone Wolf. I agree
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    "Marisa Tome (sp?) in "The Wrestler." "

Probably the most realistic portrayal... at least at the end of the dancing career.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion