R.I.P. Ray Bradbury

At the age of 91, one of the twentieth century's greatest sci-fi writers has passed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4Vz…

10 comments

• motorhead
    12 years ago
    When I was in high school Science Fiction books were the rage. We read The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 as class assignments.

Loved the YouTube
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Let's go burn some books tonight. RIP Mr Bradbury.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    RIP Mr Bradbury
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    So sad. Always wished I could have thanked him in person for giving me some magic in my youth. RIP Ray.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    Thanks for posting this. I missed the part on the news where he died. I'm a sci fi fan as well. RIP Ray.
  • snowtime
    12 years ago
    Farenheit 451 is a classic I will always remrmber. The movie with, I believe, Oscar Werner and Julie Christie, was also good. Hope this country doesn't loose sight of the message Ray B. was sending.
  • dallas702
    12 years ago
    I grew up on SciFi. Asimov and Bradbury were the best. Asimov, who was afraid of flying, wrote epic tales of distant planets and the far future. Bradbury was the better storyteller. Bradbury's stories pulled you in and made you part of the plot. Even as the world changed so much after 1980, with PCs, cell phones and GPS, Bradbury's stories still resonated. His pre 80 stories and even his new stuff worked for the new generations.

He was still writing almost to the end. I understand that some recent short stories of his are yet to be published. In the 90s he admitted that in some of his most "political" stories, he did not have any political motivations, but was simply storytelling. Still, stories like F451 did carry a political message for many of us.
  • Tiredtraveler
    12 years ago
    Considering he wrote Farenheit 451 in 1952 and the story is almost dead on today's society, literacy at a al time lows in the modern era and all information chosen by talking heads on wall size TV's!! I would say he was brilliant. "F-451", "A Brave New World", "1984", and "Atlas Shrugged" should be required reading in High School or College. They are showing us the state of our society and is lying ass government. Regulations and taxes are bad, personal freedom and responsability are good and are the only way for all to prosper.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    A sad commentary indeed, Tiredtraveler. I agree. Guess we won't have to burn any books. They'll just rot from non-use.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Tired Travel wrote:

"Considering he wrote Farenheit 451 in 1952 and the story is almost dead on today's society, literacy at a al time lows in the modern era and all information chosen by talking heads on wall size TV's!! I would say he was brilliant."

Yes - he was and amazingly forward thinking.

Bradbury has stated that the novel is not about censorship, but a story about how <b>television destroys interest in reading literature</b>, which leads to a perception of knowledge as being composed of factoids, partial information devoid of context.

Especially considering the novel was written in 1952, and the percentage of homes with television sets was only 40 to 50 percent, his prediction of the future is no less than brilliant.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion