tuscl

Shucks Clubber. Where you gonna get that brewsky?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Friday, April 20, 2012 5:32 PM
NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) -- An adult entertainment club is suing a South Florida city in federal court claiming discrimination. Swinging Richards in North Miami Beach is just like many strip clubs in South Florida: there is full nudity, and there is alcohol. But instead of women baring it all on stage, it's men. Now, the strip club says its business, which opened its doors late last year, is in jeopardy, because the City of North Miami Beach is singling it out for one reason. "I think the city's problem with this club is the fact that there's homosexual entertainment, or men providing entertainment for men," said Daniel Aaronson, attorney for Swinging Richards. "And for whatever reason, I can't get into their minds, I don't know what they're thinking, I don't know why it offends them." Aaronson says the issue is a 1994 ordinance on the books that would restrict, among other things, full nudity in a club serving alcohol. The clubs claims it's an ordinance that has never been enforced in the 22 years the location has been used as strip clubs, under various names, but with all female dancers. "The ordinance prohibits alcohol and nudity," said Aaronson. "There are many provisions of the code that if they applied it to my clients, that in fact my clients would have to change the nature of their operation, possibly even have to move." The club is now suing. In a lawsuit filed in federal court on Wednesday, the club claims the city is violating its right to equal protection under the law. According to the club, the city has given a May 16 deadline for the club to comply or face enforcement of the ordinance. "We will not comply with the ordinance, we should not have to and we will not," said Aaronson. "That could lead to arrests of dancers, it could lead to arrest of management, and we are willing to fight that. Why? Because we know we will succeed. We know we will win." 7News contacted the city manager of North Miami Beach. He says he has not read the complaint and is not prepared to comment at this point.

8 comments

• vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Not a problem for Clubber. He's a Southern Miami man. This club is Northern Miami.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    vm, I remember you talking about that place.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Yes, I recall mentioning as a place never to wander in. LOL I made sure I set my car's avoidance technology to not allow it within a mile of that club.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    vm, Oh, I completely misunderstood. :)
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    This will be a problem for other Florida clubs. If not enforcing the ordinance allows this lawsuit to move forward, other municipalities will be forced to enforce their ordinances out of fear of negating the ordinance and/or encountering a tort action. Perhaps the ordinance was made to deal with the political element. If it is a particular person, they probably are not going to the club to see all the ordinances are being enforced. If it is an organization, it may have died off a long time ago do to members moving out, members just satisfied an ordinance has been made, or the organization simply wilting out. Either way, they have no enforcement ability. In other words, the usual of making people criminals instead of promoting freedom, but not really enforced.
  • Dolfan
    12 years ago
    I don't know why it's such a big deal - there are lots of gays in that area. I appreciate having them around - they're usually hard workers and are never popping out a new kid to put on welfare every year. Plus, I gotta assume that for every pair of homo's there's two extra pairs of tits available for me. I prefer not to see them making out in regular bars, and I certainly don't appreciate the cross dressers and trannies prowling the bar scene - but this place is a great solution to that. If they're all in here swinging each others dicks they're out of sight for me. I do agree, this could spell trouble for some of the other clubs with similar unenforced ordinances - which would piss me the fuck off.
  • Skyrbuoy
    12 years ago
    While really bored one day, I read Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties' ordinances one day. Contact-Illegal. Nudity-(actually display of sexual organs) illegal. Selective enforcement. Don't like swinging Richards, but they do have a point.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    "Selective enforcement" doesn't generally invalidate the law, though. It just causes the police to start consistently enforcing it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion