tuscl

Too Soon I Guess

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/03/30…

GREENSBORO, N.C. (CBS Charlotte/AP) – A party at a local strip club scheduled in honor of Trayvon Martin was called off after a social media backlash branded the effort as insensitive.

According to the event flier, which has gone viral, the party at Bentley's Lingerie Lounge — organized by outside promoters — was scheduled for this past Wednesday as part of their “We Like to Party Wednesdays” promotion.

The flier reads, “Justice: In Memory of Trayvon Martin,” just below an image of the dead teen. “Everyone free [before] 11 [p.m.] with an empty bag of Skittles.”

The bag of Skittles references the candy Trayvon was in possession of when fatally shot by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman.

In addition to “the sexiest entertainers in NC,” the event would have also offered $3 Long Island and Blue Motorcycle drinks.

According to NewsOne, the owners of the Lingerie Lounge called off the event once they saw the flier, and the means by which the promoters tried to bring in clientele.

The Move Tonight, Inc., who organized the party, issued a public apology for what they considered to be a miscommunication.

“In lieu of the negative publicity surrounding an event that was being held in memory of Trayvon Martin at Bentley's, we would like to extend our deepest sympathies and apologies to those offended,” the statement read. “Although we neglected to detail this on the flyer that was circulating promoting the function, all proceeds collected at the door were going to be donated to the NAACP's Scholarship Fund.”

Additionally, the empty Skittles bags were going to be sent to the Sanford Police Department in Florida as a statement.

Zimmerman has told police he shot the 17-year-old on Feb. 26 in self-defense. Martin's family claims racial profiling was behind the killing, which has become a national flashpoint. Martin was black. Zimmerman's father is white and his mother is Hispanic.

Zimmerman has not been arrested, despite demands from black leaders and others that he be charged with murder or manslaughter. But a special prosecutor appointed by the governor is investigating, along with state and federal authorities.

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

9 comments

• deogol
    12 years ago
    There will be another death over this before shit gets straightened out.
  • SnakePlissken
    12 years ago
    There will be many more I'm betting.

If Zimmerman gets off without a murder conviction it is going to be the Rodney King riots all over again.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    From a conservative writer for American Spectator.

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/03/29…
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    When the full story comes out, this will die down. I'm also betting he doesn't get charged with anything.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    The whole party thing was really in bad taste.
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    Everybody wants to condemn Zimmerman without a fair trial or even knowing all of the facts. The media and the race hustlers would love to see Zimmerman in prison. And everyone thought Casey Anthony was guilty too....
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Zimmerman needs to be thoroughly checked out & given a trial if indicted.
  • Cheo_D
    12 years ago
    Right. The seed of the outrage (before it started getting stoked from both sides) lies in that if a bullet from my gun had wound up in a dead guy after a confrontation one month ago, I would still be having interviews with folks from the PD and DA's office and would not be surprised at having a court date even if only to dismiss. Make a thorough investigation and make it known that you indeed found me in the clear. You don't just say "Oh, you say he jumped you! Well, sure, go along on your way then, sir..."

And what is it with promoters... there was the MLK anniversary party poster back in January as well that created anothr kerfuffle... c'mon, guys, THINK...
  • 23cambyman
    11 years ago
    Estafodar- Traymon Martin is dead you little bitch!!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion