tuscl

Another of Shadowcat's 2:00 AMers, this time from a TUSCL insider view

dallas702
Wandering
This morning one of our own posted the following review of Mermaids, Virginia Beach, VA:

Bottom Line: I WILL NEVER GO AGAIN. AND BRING YOUR GUN. Last night, the club had some kind of amateur night going on. The club was charging $40 cover. That's right! FORTY DOLLARS just to get in the front door.

The place was packed with thugs. And by thugs I mean ghetto, shoot-you-if-you-disrespect-me, drugdealer, gangster characters. It was definitely over capacity, but then again, max capacity at a place this size can't be higher than 50. In other words, the place is tiny.

All the amateur dancers were ghetto as hell. Two of them got into a serious fistfight while on stage together. The one who took the worst of it was pummeled in the face by a barrage of fists. It was easy to tell that this was not the winner's first fight. There was no scratching or weave-pulling. It was straight one-two combos to the dome.

Things got out of hand at that point. The crowd started fighting and it escalated into a gunfight in the parking lot. No one ended up getting shot, but I heard at least six shots and saw the gang members shooting in each others' direction. It was wild. Everyone hit the deck. Well almost everyone. I saw one of the dancers just standing in a daze.

Then the wildest part of the night took place. The first police officer to respond was T-boned a couple of blocks from the club by a drunk driver. The cruiser was totaled. The news reported that the officer suffered severe injuries and remained in serious condition at the hospital the next day. The fire department had to mechanically remove him from the car.

Meanwhile the O.K. Corral was going on in Mermaids parking lot. But the cops never made it there because they were concerned with the injured officer, and the drunk driver who had fled the scene on foot. Yes, the drunk driver must have thought he killed the officer, and thought it a better idea to run for it than face the courts. They chased her down, yes her.

Although I'll never forget that night, I value my life too much to see girls in bikinis that I can't even touch.

9 comments

• shadowcat
    13 years ago
    techically it's not a 2AMer but never the less a scary situation. I proped the review as a public service.
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    Holy shit! I don't think I would have paid a forty dollar cover.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    The TUSCL page does not list the club as even having a cover charge.
  • staxwell
    13 years ago
    40 dollars?!!!

Sounds like a scene from The Hangover.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    SHEESH !! I am even gladder I didn't go that club last summer when I was there in Virginia Beach.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    The last time I was in the area a freak storm flooded Norfolk and then lightning knocked out the radar at the airport. If I believed in signs nature didn't want me there.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    That's probably not true, just kidding. I experience strange things lots of times especially when traveling.

I don't plan on visiting any gang and thug party. I thought it was alarming enough one night to find out one of my coworkers had mafia connections. He introduced me to the son of the mafia boss for the local county. That's not the typical introduction I get when I meet someone who's a friend of someone I know. I was glad to move out of that area. It seemed like there was a new major story murder every month and another one of my friends claimed the area had a higher per capita murder rate than New York. I wouldn't have even mentioned anything that bad.
    13 years ago
    Who the hell pays $40 cover to any club? Let alone a hole in the wall.

There'd have to be a complimentary blow job or some other incentive to entice me.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    @59: Completely agree. If a club told me it was $40 to walk in the door, I'd be out of there.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion