tuscl

Strippers and the Shadow Economy

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Here's a rather boring article on the "shadow economy", which uses strippers as a prime example:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/5279/s…

The article asserts that "A strippers' minimum average is typically $100-$150 though most frequently make more." I wonder how the writer arrived at these figures, since he doesn't mention any methodology. Probably just a wild ass guess.

Many articles and WEB discussions deal with strippers' earnings and the economics of stripperdom. The data in these stories seems very unreliable, and so the generalizations and conclusions are meaningless.

After I retire, I plan to devote my life to a thorough scientific investigation of the stripper economy. I will devote 10 years to gathering accurate data, and another 10 years to writing the definitive treatise on the subject. Is a Nobel Prize in my future?

9 comments

• Alucard
    13 years ago
    No Nobel Prize, just a lot of reading & writing. LOL
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    No, I don't think Nobel Prizes are awarded to us TUSCL people. Read the fine print on the Nobel website. Be sure to use superb quality condoms as needed and the best "fake" money. Be sure to inform us of your exploits. Some one has to carry on the tradition. :)
  • Ermita_Nights
    13 years ago
    Here's some research for you, from:
    http://www.stripper-faq.org/dance.htm

Quote:

If you're dancing for shift pay in a blue collar "titty bar" you'll make about $150 a night. A go-go or "cage" dancer at a regular nightclub might make $200 a night but she'll be dancing almost all night. Some girls might prefer that- you don't have to work for tips or talk to the guys. A girl dancing for tips and drink commission in a nude club makes between $200 to $600. A pretty, well-spoken girl who knows the business will make between $400 to $800 at a topless "gown" club.

There's also this gem:

Go to the Ultimate Strip Club List and look for clubs in your area. The reviews will give you a very good idea of whether it's a place you want to work. i.e. If the guy says, "Wow, it was great. This girl let me feel her up" It's obviously not a place you want to work.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    This doesn't seem to take into account all the slow nights and dead clubs or slow clubs where business is slow. If you haven't heard dancers complaining about not being able to make tip out or in one case recently a dancer was hoping to make $100 for the night, then I think all those dancers working on slow nights or in slow clubs would lower the average pay a great deal.
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    One has to take into account when the research was done and when it was written. During the housing bubble, the dot com bubble, etc. it may have been true. These days... maybe a lot less.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    The assumptions about stripper income are just that, something that can make an ass of u and m.. assum, or so I've heard on one late night comedy. I've known many dancers did not make 100 bucks or even half that on some nights. In fact I've seen dancers sneak out of clubs never to return again because they did not make enough money to pay the tip out charges. Now that is sad but in a large club, it might be why you hear the fire alarm exit sign going off during the middle of the night. Week nights are often slower and less attractive dancers get less money and there are a lot of dancers across the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the writer was visiting more affluent areas where income levels are higher.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    13 years ago
    "Wow, it was great. This girl let me feel her up"....

Was tuscl around in 1959 when this quote likely was written???
  • canny
    13 years ago
    @sharkhunter, you're right. I know a few dancers and they are all saying that the money isn't what it was 2 years ago. The only strippers who are earning a lot of money are either 9's and 10's or are doing lot's of extras.
  • JuiceBox69
    13 years ago
    All my ladies avg $250 a night !
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion