tuscl

Number of clubs increasing or decreasing

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
Overall in the U.S. are club numbers on the increase or are they in decline? Any states bucking the trend?

What effect, if any, is this having on entertainment value?

5 comments

• vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Hmmmm, sounds like a long road trip is needed to verify. Let's meet in NYC, londonguy and work our way across the country.
  • thesamurai
    13 years ago
    The only state I can speak for is Mn, I haven't paid attention to any other states. I'd say in the last several years the number of clubs has decreased, particularly in the more rural areas. I can think of several closings and not a single brand new opening.
  • Papi_Chulo
    13 years ago
    I read that opening a new club now a days can be difficult. The points made:

1) Takes a heck of a lot of money
    2) SCs have a bad reputation (for many non-clubbers) and many municipalites or it's constituents do not want those kinds of businesses so local governments tend not to award permits for new clubs.
    3) Because of #2 above (municipalities, constituents) - local governments are willing to "tolerate" existing clubs but not grant new permits for new clubs in order not to add to the total # of clubs (thus a new club can exist if it replaces a previous or closed club).
    4) Even existing clubs do not want new clubs b/c of the competition - some times existing clubs will petition local governments not to grant new club permits in order to avoid the competition.

This is not my opinion, just what I read - but it makes sense.
  • londonguy
    13 years ago
    Great idea Vince, start in NYC and work our way through every state until we get to San Diego? I think we need to allocate about 3-6 months eh ?
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    Don't forget Ontario on your way to Detroit, LG/VM!!! I hear the unemployment rate in Canada is on the rise. Could mean bargains to be had in the Toronto clubs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion