Top 40 question.

Clubber
Florida
In the Top 40 are two choices:

The Top 40 Ranked Clubs (minimum 7 reviews)
The Top 40 Rated Clubs (minimum 7 reviews)

The difference?

13 comments

• Clubber
    18 years ago
    Didn't intend to start anything. Was just asking a question. I don't even look at the rankings, normally. I use TUSCL when out of town or to check on local clubs
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Founder, I don't mean to be pissy about this, I think you've done an excellent overall job with this site. I just don't think the numerical scores from reviews are very meaningful, so analyzing them too closely (eg. averaging them to three significant digits and worrying about how old they are) is even less meaningful. Some clubs get a lot of reviews while others get few, for a variety of reaons, and I don't think it means very much. I'd also bet that some club owners/managers submit a bunch of phoney reviews of their own and their competitors' clubs under a lot of different names, which distorts the figures even further.
  • founder
    18 years ago
    this system doesn't really penalize clubs with fewer reviews. It just doesn't allow them on the top 40 lists. All clubs still have a ranking and rating regardless of the number of reviews they have. You can search for high rankings and ratings on the search page.

hth
    F
  • Clubber
    18 years ago
    I agree with FONDL. There has to be a ratio applied between time and reviews. What that ratio might be...
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Founder, 7 reviews over a 3 year period means that they probably have only 2 or 3 for the past year. Which means that one review can greatly influence their ranking. I know a lot of very nice clubs out in the boonies that rarely get reviewed because just about the only people who go to them are locals who aren't aware of TUSCL. Your current system is penalizing such clubs.
  • founder
    18 years ago
    FONDL.. clubs that dont get a lot of reviews dont count in the top 40s. They need at least 7 reviews. hth
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    I just like the clubs that are more rank and less classy, no matter how they're rated. :)
  • Clubber
    18 years ago
    Excellent point, FONDL.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    That may be fine for a club like Tootsie's that gets lots of reviews, but I don't think it works for the ones that don't. One recent review can have too great of an impact if it's either really high or really low. Founder, if you're going to get fancy, why not use median rather than mean, than one or two outliers won't have any impact.
  • Clubber
    18 years ago
    Putting what founder said, to the test, I looked at Tootsie's in Miami. They have really been getting "ranked" since their relocation. Assuming (I believe they were) RANKED as a top 40 club, they are no longer in the top 40, yet they are still RATED as top 15, at 8.9. So, it all fits together nicely.
  • founder
    18 years ago
    It's on the FAQ... basically Rank = current Rating...
    Rank takes 12 months
    Rating takes 3 years

This was added because of a member suggestion... and it makes sense. If a club has a higher rank than rating, it means the club is getting better... and conversely, if a club has a lower rank than rating, it is on a downswing.

hth
    F
  • DandyDan
    18 years ago
    I had asked that question. Top 40 rated is all the reviews. Top 40 ranked is the most recent ones.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    We had this discussion not long ago and I still don't know the answer. I think one of them is the average of all reviews and the other is only the most recent ones, but I don't know which is which or what's considered recent. Personally I don't think it makes any sense to have two rankings.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion