tuscl

Strip clubs only offering change in two dollar bills. Does it tick you off?

I was at another strip club where someone must have had the bright idea to only offer change in two dollar bills. They used to not even have two dollar bills. A number of the dancers at this club I would not want to even offer a one dollar tip. So yes it does kind of tick me off a bit when a club says they only have two's. If this keeps up, I'll probably be much more careful of who and when I tip which means the money I spend on tipping will dramatically decline. Then I probably won't bother going to that club anymore unless I get change before I visit. I guess I could always sit at a table and not bother hardly tipping like everyone else. Sometimes it seems like morons are in charge of what they offer in change. It might work fine for out of state visitors with plenty of cash to spend but I don't like it.

6 comments

• Golfer99
    18 years ago
    YES. The only club this seems to be a common at is the PP chain although the Memphis club doesn't seem to do it. I don't like it for several reasons. One I like to go to the stage and I often tip $2 but I like to get the double action if the dancer is good. It also means you are constantly short of change and the drink girl is always having to give you change when you get a $1.75 drink during happy hour. Next time I got into thie club, I'm going with my own singles.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    What I don't like is I'm used to it at certain PP clubs. However when some not quite so popular club apparently starts doing it, I'm not too happy when the bartender girl says, "sorry we're out of ones. I have some twos." I don't believe they even used to have twos for change. I believe I did leave immediately after I heard that comment. The particular club I'm thinking about doesn't exactly have a whole lot of people tipping throughout the night. If they think the ones who tip are going to tip twice as much because they only offer change in two's, they'll have a surprise. I'm hoping this was a coincidence but it doesn't sound good.

I have found it amusing to give a casual acquaintance a single two dollar bill in change and they act like its special and want to save it because they haven't seen one in a long time.
  • ShotDisc
    18 years ago
    I hate them. I refuse them if possible.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    shadowcat, the PP club in Greenville at least later at night refuses to give change in ones unless you happen to buy something (such as food or drink) and you only need a single one in change and then some coins. I believe I've had trouble at PP in Columbia as well but I noticed they didn't seem to mind when the club wasn't as busy. Perhaps the Greenville club is the same but I have yet to notice that. Now I know of another club trying this stupid stunt. I think it will backfire on clubs in smaller clubs big time. That is if anyone in the club actually wants change to tip the dancers.
  • DandyDan
    18 years ago
    I find it more a nuisance than something that ticks me off. I just save them for my favorite dancers if I get them.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    I guess I'd probably ask them to change my $2s for $1s (and not tip for the service), thus increasing the staff's time spent with effort-for-zero-income. If more customers did that, maybe they'd stop trying to manipulate the currency.

This is an interesting economic proposition, in fact. The idea of introducing new, or unfamiliar, or un-useful, denominations of currency has come up now and again in discussions of whether or not the USA should do away with the penny. I think we should not. I like them, I use them, and if (as is the case) they exist conceptually (otherwise, it would be impossible to distinguish, for example, 7% tax), then they have utility. Many of the arguments against them are strictly psychological and not "really" economic / fiscal. There are good reasons to reduce their circulation, but I can't think of any other than the cost-per-piece of creating and maintaining a decent supply. But (as I recall) coins are more durable and, in the long run therefore, cheaper to make, than bills, so any cost argument actually supports moving in the OTHER direction -- creating five-dollar and two-dollar coins, keeping the penny, and eliminating the lower bills.

I do'nt remember whether I'm right or wrong about all of that. I know I like pennies and would be annoyed with $2 bills, to the point that I'd go out of my way to circumvent them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion