tuscl

Indy Hopes To Curb Super Bowl Prostitution

Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:26 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- While a lot of cash and crowds are sure to come to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl, state and city officials said Friday they are cognizant of the dark side the big game brings -- prostitution and human trafficking. Attorney General Greg Zoeller, representatives from the Marion County Prosecutor's Office, social service agencies and police met Friday for an all-day forum to discuss the issue. Authorities are concerned about a likely increase in prostitution stemming from the Super Bowl and are grappling with ways to address it. Zoeller said it would help if the demand for illicit services could be curbed. "Men must take the lead in not creating a demand in the illegal activity," he said. "We have to make it clear that it's not socially acceptable." Often, prostitutes who are in the Super Bowl city are victims of human trafficking, having been brought in to fulfill a perceived uptick in demand. Because they are often in the country illegally, victims of human trafficking are less likely to seek help. "When you look at human trafficking, you really have to look at the young girls who have been brought to the United States, many of them against their will, or they've been told a different story about why they're being brought for some type of work," Zoeller said. "Working to identify and rescue victims is a challenge, because they're not going to come forward on their own." Zoeller said Indiana has work to do in the Legislature to address human trafficking. "We don't have a statute specifically focused on those who traffic … in both sex and labor," Zoeller said. "We have a very short window to make it over the legislative deadlines (before the Super Bowl)." [view link]

7 comments

• fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    I look forward to the Superbowl and making copious amounts of money despite the fact that I will not be providing sexual favours. Events like this or the Indy 500 make an awesome week for downtown businesses and the city's strip bars. I really could care less about the prostitution. All I really see happening is an increase in ITC activity during that week simply because the bouncers are going to be constantly busy with the stream of clientele, whereas when it's not as busy, many girls will arrange OTC. But oh well.
  • inno123
    13 years ago
    If you were really interested in stopping human trafficing you would decriminalize prostituion. Then there would be an avenue to meet demand that would not have to involve human trafficing and more effort could be put to the remaining cases that did involve human trafficing.
  • Cheo_D
    13 years ago
    Oh, man, here it comes again. I thought the "Superbowl(*) attracts massive Human Trafficking" meme had been shown to be an Urban Myth. (*Or World Series, or presidential convention, etc.)
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    They should curb red necks first.
  • sanitago
    13 years ago
    "Men must take the lead in not creating a demand in the illegal activity," yeah, I'm sure that ideas going to work real well [snicker]. some of these political prosecutors just can't seem to ever get enough of hearing their own voices, can they? the real hell of it all: odds are, if they cops *do* find any victims of human traffiking, they'll just hand them over to ICE to be deported back to whatever Third World shit hole they came here to escape.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    I went to my first strip clubs in Indianapolis in the early 80's. There used to be a street hooker, who had to be in her 50's even back then, who gave $10 blow jobs out of a phone booth on East Wasington Street. I wonder if she'll come of of retirement for the Super Bowl?
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    "They should curb red necks first" Maybe...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion