tuscl

New strip club an unwelcome neighbor in northwest Houston

HOUSTON—No matter how you dress it up, residents near 290 and Mangum are not happy with the addition of a new strip club.

The Sunset Strip Club opened up in the old Steak & Ale location this week.
“I'm a Christian and we don't believe in that,” said neighbor Vicki Higerd. “We don't like it and it's too close to us.”
Higerd is not alone. David Edwards is worried about his son growing up around the sexually-oriented business.
“This is where my child's growing up,” said Edwards. “Now, my child's going to grow up and see whatever riff-raff is going be coming out of that place.”
But it's more than upset homeowners.
For years, the Houston Independent School District fought the strip club from setting up shop because it's just down the road from Delmar Stadium, a facility that's used year-round by students for sporting events.
HISD released a statement after the club opened this week.
“We are disappointed with the decision to allow a sexually-oriented business to operate so close to a school athletics complex,” the statement read.
Higerd agreed.
“All of the schools around here go to that stadium to do their football and all of that and soccer and it's just too close to that,” she said.
Sunset Strip manager Lloyd Ace invited KHOU 11 News into the club that also doubles as a sports bar.
“How do you feel about being the unwanted neighbor?” asked KHOU 11 News Reporter Tiffany Craig.
“We'll I'm sad that we're unwanted,” said Ace. “I can understand people's feelings but our closest neighbors are across the freeway. This is really a commercial area.”
Ace said they got all the necessary permits. The business is more than 1, 500 feet from a school, daycare, park or church.
To try and keep a little peace with the neighbors, Sunset Strip has agreed not to use a spotlight to direct customers to their location.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Strip-clu…

5 comments

• Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    That I'm aware of, Houston is not a zoning-savvy city. It was probably the last major American city to adopt a zoning ordinance. However, the 1,500-ft. limit, if that's accurate is the greatest I've ever encountered, and I worked in city planning for over 20 years. Much of that time was in zoning.

Neighbors will complain about any new adult business where ever one opens or is even proposed. It's just a fact of zoning life. One exception is in the Los Angeles area, TUSCL have probably heard about great mileage available at club in the city of Industry. It is largely a poor, immigrant community. Most of those that speak English, do so as a second language. Generally they don't have the will (many are undocumented), the money, or the ability to communicate effectively. So, when a new strip club opens there, generally, there is little public opposition. (One exception may be a recent attempt by the Spearmint Rhino chain to open a new club where the Hawaii Theatre was previously located. There a much better educated community in adjacent Hacienda Heights will have the skills and ability necessary to protest a new adult business.)
  • inno123
    13 years ago
    Actually the situation in the COI is different. The city has only a few dozen residents total, most of which live in a far corner well away from any of the clubs. If you see homes anywhere near the COI Clubs they are NOT in the COI but La Puente, Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights etc.

Most of the current clubs are grandfathered from the old zoning ordinance, which is why the old HT is having trouble re-opening as SR/Pinks. The old permit had expired and the vacancy was long enough for the grandfathering to no longer apply.

Currently the COI allows Adult Businesses in commercial zones (which the COI is almost entirely) provided that they are no closer than 200 feet from any residence or 500 feet from any church, school, child care center, park, or other adult business whether or not they are located in the COI. Unfortunately since the COI is such a long skinny thing not many locations with good access and visibility fit in the definition.
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    If the club is 1,500 feet from the edge of the stadium parking lot, then okay, if not....

follow me on this,

A couple of years ago, the Mansion in north Harris County operated without a SOB permit. The last week was quite wild before it was closed by the county.

Recently, there was a story here about a Spearmint Rhino club that was closed-after operating with an alcohol and SOB permit.

Sunset Strip is advertising that it's latex free-meaning that it's flying in the face of city regulations, meaning......

The club owners know that it will be closed, so, I'm betting that a wild time is to be had in the LD area-panties come off, even though it's a topless club. In short, you got a few hundred bucks, everything is on the menu.
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    Amend the above-the Rhino club operated WITHOUT permits.
  • Rod8432
    13 years ago
    So this Vicky Higerd lady is "... a Christian and we don’t believe in that." This is wrong on so many levels:
    1) First, who's "we" - Christians in general? It's not clear, but that's the implication. I guess she speaks for all Christians?
    2) Regardless, what has her belief in the existence of an invisible old man in the sky got to do with whether a strip club should open? Maybe I'm a Pastafarian nudist and believe clothes are an abomination to be shed at every opportunity. Regardless, any position of unsubstantiated beliefs should have nothing to do with a secular society's zoning laws.
    3) And who's this Edwards bozo who doesn't want to see "whatever riff-raff is going be coming out of that place.” What a sanctimonious asshole. I hate to see the kind of riff-raff that comes out of churches, personally, but that's never stopped zealots from building monstrous mega-temples on tax-free land.

Okay, I'm only getting worked up over this. Time to let go and relieve some stress with my favorite stripper...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion