tuscl

NY lap dances no more exempt

deogol
Michigan
Friday, June 10, 2011 10:26 AM
More here: [view link] That state is broke man.

16 comments

• vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    I can see it now: Me: How much is a lap dance? Her: $21.15
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Oh honey that will be $21.20 ($20 plus 6% tax)for the lap dance.
  • gsv
    13 years ago
    That's ridiculous. I will typically give anywhere between $23 and $25 for a $20 dance anyway, but I don't think this needs to be taxed.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    I'm moving to South Carolina.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    maybe they will treat it like alcohol and tobacco and add a "sin tax" to it so the tax rate is even higher than usual sales tax.
  • troop
    13 years ago
    little troop is with me everytime i go strip clubbing, i never leave home without him ;)
  • troop
    13 years ago
    woops, wrong thread, duh
  • Columbo
    13 years ago
    Lap dances don't rise to the level of art? The people that decided this aren't going to the right clubs.
  • kumasdaisy
    13 years ago
    Lap dances don't rise to the level of art, but yet a community theatre company putting on a shitty rendition of Brigadoon for the 95th time does? Bullshit. Granted, some lap dances I personally give are less artsy-fartsy than others, but a dancer is an artist, athlete, actress, and businesswoman. I think we deserve at least a little credit through tax exemption. This ruling reeks of classism in addition to just being plain inconvenient. Additionally, it just goes to show that the men in charge in this godforsaken pit of despair we call New York are still somehow afraid of women's erotic power (as well as our bodies themselves). It's backward and unfair. Clearly none of these people understand the history of exotic dance; it is, and always has been, a performance. God forbid somebody makes the mistake of letting me pass the bar exam in this state... all hell is going to break loose.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    How do you tax a lap dance?
  • Book Guy
    13 years ago
    I don't think any of it is "art." I think it's sexual activity, perpetrated between consenting adults, and therefore should (morally speaking) be left alone by the government. I don't see how privacy and free expression relate at all. If it's expression, it's public; if it's private, then it's NOT public.
  • kumasdaisy
    13 years ago
    Well, book guy, if it's sexual activity, it's prostitution and it's all illegal.
  • Cheo_D
    13 years ago
    And if it's just free expression, well, in most of our states IF you charge a price for your expression the customer will more often than not pay some sort of tax. You can express yourself for free all you want and not have to collect any sales tax; or for tips only and just have to pay your income tax on those; but if Mr. A paid Ms. B a price certain to see/hear what she had to express, that exchange gets taxed unless specifically exempted. I wonder if this will lead Assemblyman Ortiz to propose the "Pole Tax" again? ([view link]). One way to avoid the $21.20 lapdance would be to make lap dances taxable through an excise, i.e. the tax is collected by carving out a slice from the final cash-out-of-pocket price, as opposed to tacking on an additional levy on top of it. But that would require upping the total final price, lest the dancer take a loss, and making sure the tax slice is NOT counted as income and thus double-taxed. Anyway how long have NY lapdances been $20? If NY is forced to go to $25-30 as the new standard this could create an uncomfortable cascade effect across the Land...
  • troop
    13 years ago
    they'll tax us on everything until there's nothing left to tax :(
  • MisterGuy
    13 years ago
    Ugh...the sales tax in that area of NY is 8%, and the LDs at Nite Moves were $25/song or $30/2 songs, for which the sales taxes will be an extra $2 or $2.40 respectively...which isn't that much money extra IMHO. That area of NY state is notorious for upfront tipping anyways. From the recent reviews for this place, the club has already upped their prices accordingly likely due to the increased state taxes. Some strip clubs in other areas of NY have asked in the past to be taxed for the purposes of local educational spending.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion