tuscl

Police Defend 7 Cops, Spending $700 In Strip Club Probe

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Colorado Springs authorities are defending assigning seven undercover detectives to spend $700 at a strip club during a liquor compliance audit and prostitution sting.
The Gazette reported that PT's Showclub surrendered its liquor license in late April. The undercover audit on the night of March 5 found alcohol violations, but no prostitution despite detectives soliciting sex for money, police said.
Letters to The Gazette and commenters on message boards criticized the crackdown on PT's Showclub.

One letter writer called investing seven detectives and $700 for drinks and entertainment a “severe distortion of priorities," The Gazette reported.
Colorado Springs police Lt. John Godsey, who heads the multi-agency Metro Vice, Narcotics and Intelligence Unit, defended the sting operation.
Godsey said the $700 came from money seized in other undercover investigations and was not taxpayer funded, The Gazette reported. The seven detectives were from the Colorado Springs Police Department and El Paso County Sheriff's Office.
Godsey told thew newspaper $700 seemed like a reasonable amount for seven detectives to spend in one night on the drinks and dances at the club.
“You still have to blend in,” said Godsey of the undercover work, The Gazette reported. “You can't just nurse one drink.”
Responding to complaints from residents and sheriff's deputies, the vice unit did an undercover investigation at PT's in December. Investigators said drunken customers were allegedly served alcohol and patrons were allowed to leave the club carrying alcoholic drink, Godsey told the newspaper.
During the March sting operation, detectives followed up on complaints of prostitution by citizens and county deputies, Godsey said. Detectives solicited sex for money from dancers, but were turned down each time, The Gazette reported.
Now that that the club has forfeited its liquor license its dancers are fully nude, which is legal at establishments that don't serve alcohol.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/279…

5 comments

• harrydave
    13 years ago
    I can understand the focus on liquor violations. Drunk drivers are responsible for a lot of misery. The unsuccessful attempt to solicit prostitution is kind of humorous. Past reviews for the club suggest it is not a great place, and there are no hints of extras. And sending 7 guys undercover seems like overkill. I'm guessing the operation became known beforehand and there was a mad scramble to get in on it. All in the name of law enforcement, of course.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Cops like tits, too. LMAO
  • rickdugan
    13 years ago
    This whole thing is absurd. If every strip club had to operate under this kind of microscope then there wouldn't be many strip clubs around.

So one guy got drunk and another left with a beer bottle. Holy shit! For that matter, the rpevious two incidents were equally absurd. How much money, including man hours, has the police department spent trying to nail this club?
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    The same thing happened here in Seattle. Except all the clubs here are juice bars, so the emphasis was on prostitution. I will try to find the link to the newspaper article and post it, but I recall something like $16,000 was spent over a period of time (a year?), on lap dances, and not one arrest was made (for anything)! There was a great editorial cartoon on the subject, too!
  • pabloantonio
    13 years ago
    Yea, I can see the sting operation now.

"Look honey, I'm here with six of my friends. I would like to take you to the VIP and have some type of sex with you. After paying my cover, buying a couple of dances, tipping dancers on stage, buying several rounds for my buddies, and taking care of the manager and my waitress, I've got $20. What ya say gorgeous?"

Doesn't LE have something better to do than waste taxpayer's money?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion