tuscl

Geez, folks, it's only entertainment.

Struggling mining town rejects nude dancing

CHICAGO (Reuters) – Voters in the town of Lead, South Dakota, rejected a proposal on Tuesday that would have allowed nude dancing at bars in its historic downtown, a move supporters had said would give an economic boost to the struggling mining town.

The proposed easing of the state's adult entertainment law was defeated by a vote of 535-303, Lead City Commissioner Casey Borsch said in a phone interview. He characterized turnout for the referendum as "considerably higher" than normal.

State law in South Dakota already permits nude dancing in bars -- provided it does not take place within a quarter-mile of any residence, business or community gathering place.

But city commissioners in Lead, a town of about 3,000 near Deadwood in the Black Hills, voted in January to adopt a more lenient standard, eliminating the quarter-mile rule for their city by means of a special ordinance.

The commission acted after the owners of the Wild Thing Saloon on Main Street, located a few blocks from the town's opera house and public library, brought in nude dancers for two days in December to see how popular it would be.

The event reportedly drew hundreds of extra visitors into Lead, best known as the site of the Homestake gold mine.

Opponents of the easing, which the commission passed 3-2, gathered enough signatures to put the ordinance to a public vote. On Tuesday, they prevailed.

Once the largest and deepest mine in the Western Hemisphere, Lead's Homestake mine ceased production and closed in 2002. Scientific researchers now use it to conduct research into neutrinos and other cosmic particles. But the facility no longer employs anywhere near as many local workers.

In 1989, the nearby town of Deadwood legalized gambling, a move that created a two-decade-long boom and generated millions of dollars in taxes and fees, according to the state.

(Reporting by James B. Kelleher. Editing by Peter Bohan)

8 comments

• georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    It's nit just "entertainment", as you say. It's a systematic plan to dismantle the moral fiber of the entire country! These people who've proposed this are nothing but whoremongers who want to drag the rest of us down into their pit of moral turpitude so they can look themselves in the mirror and claim that they're no worse than anyone else. Mark my words, if this sort of thing spreads, we'll have naked people *everywhere*, flaunting their perky little breasts, with those delecta...er, indecently hard little nipples, and those firm...I mean *disgusting* buttocks, and most of all those sweet, tasty, um...*nasty* vaginas for *everyone* to see. Then who'd pay attention to us fat, ugly people?

If God had meant man to go around with no clothes, he'd have brought us into the world that way!
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    Every election we see people voting against their own interests.
  • SnakePlissken
    13 years ago
    Sounds like a town of 303 of these types:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwrBN9T5z…"

I say guillotine them all.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    I am glad george that I saw you in the corner with your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek as you wrote your post. It's a pity these folks don't want some fine young babes entertaining, but oh well.
  • inno123
    13 years ago
    It must be hard to find a place in South Dakota to put a bar that is a quarter mile away from anything at all.
  • harrydave
    13 years ago
    I guess I'll pencil out Lead, and Deadwood is off the itinerary as well for my next "Upper Great Plains Strip Club Talent Search".
  • mmdv26
    13 years ago
    I guess I'll blow-off visiting the Wild Thing Saloon when I'm vacationing in Lead next month. Think I'll walk down the street and check-out the opera house, though.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Ya don't want to miss "Prairie Dog" town.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion