tuscl

China bans 'shame parades' of prostitutes

BEIJING - China will end the public shaming of prostitutes by parading them through the streets, the People's Daily reported on Tuesday, following controversy over cases in which sex workers were paraded in public.

Ministry of Public Security has ordered the police to stop parading suspects in public and has called on local departments to enforce laws in a "rational, calm and civilized manner," the report said.

Prostitution is illegal in China and police sometimes used means such as parading prostitutes in public as a deterrent. However, recent cases have sparked controversy on the Internet.

Earlier this month, local media in the city of Dongguan in southern China's Guangdong province published pictures of two suspected prostitutes and two patrons who had been detained by police. The handcuffed girls were shown walking barefoot, handcuffed and tethered by a rope around their waists.

In another case this month, police in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei province, posted a public notice about a vice raid, including personal information about prostitutes and their clients.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNe…

3 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    Our view of China is of cities and flashing lights, and strippers/prostitutes working in that setting. However, I found a very interesting movie called Girl From Hunan (1988). The movie is about rural China. Evidently, in rural China they have something akin to muslim shria law. A couple in the movie is caught cheating on their mates. His legs are viciously broken, and she's stripped, paraded through the streets, then has a stone put around her neck and she's thrown overboard into a lake.
  • deogol
    14 years ago
    Government subsidized advertising if you ask me.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "However, I found a very interesting movie called Girl From Hunan (1988). The movie is about rural China"

...in the year 1900...based on a 1929 short story, and it's *not* a documentary (the movie's from 1986 BTW), moron...sheesh...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092247
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion