tuscl

'Virgin Auction' Could Face Legal Snag

(CANVAS STAFF REPORTS) - An Australian filmmaker wants to bring his “virginity auction” to Nevada, but legal representatives of the state's legal brothels say that could hit a few legal snags.

According to the Las Vegas Sun newspaper, Melbourne filmmaker Justin Sisely plans to bring women and men willing to sell their virginity to the state for the auction.

George Flint, a lobbyist for many of the state's brothels, told the newspaper that “bringing women across state lines” for prostitution could violate the Mann Act that prohibits such an act.

“He could be walking into real trouble,” Flint told the newspaper.

The Sydney Daily Telegraph reported that Sisely spent more than a year recruiting male and female virgins willing to auction themselves off.

His pitch to the virgins was paying each one $20,000 and sharing 90 percent of the sale price. The remaining 10 percent would go to the brothel where the auction would be held.

Sisely told the Telegraph that he moved his plans to the United States after being warned by the Australian government warned he could be charged with prostitution.

A 21-year-old woman from Sydney who is using the pseudonym Veronica said her parents were furious when they heard of her plans. She said she signed up to earn money and “change perceptions about sex.”

"Technically I'm selling my virginity for money, technically that would be classified as prostitution, but it's not going to be a regular thing, so in my head I can justify that I'm not going to be a prostitute," she said in the Telegraph.

Angela Longerbeam, a columnist for Change.org , is urging readers to tell the Nevada governor and Las Vegas mayor to tell Sisely to go elsewhere.

“… Because neither you nor the filmmaker seem to possess the common sense to tell you it's not a good idea to auction off your virginity on camera, you should be protected from that decision,” she wrote.

Flint said to the Sun that as far as he knows the filmmaker has not contacted any Nevada brothels, located in rural counties that have legalized prostitution. Prostitution is not legal within the city limits of Las Vegas.
http://www.myfoxillinois.com/dpps/news/v…

5 comments

• bigdude012
    14 years ago
    This reminds me of the chick who was auctioning her virginity through the Bunny Ranch in order to pay for college last I heard it was up in the millions.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Yeah what's funny about the Bunny Ranch girl is that she has a tongue ring. She has probably sucked over a 100 dicks but still has not lost her virginity.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    ss1,

Wasn't there an executive order that oral sex wasn't sex?
  • sanitago
    14 years ago
    this is one of those interesting instances where you really have to wonder how the laws would be applied. what is being sold is almost intangible (in the case of the males) and/or disposable(in the case of the women), so the only way it can be classified as prostitution is the fact that what is sold can only be "collected" is by having sex with the "owner". I wonder how a jury would rule if the case where taken to court.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    Depending on the locality, if they followed the law, I think they'd likely rule it was prostitution. For instance, Kentucky's prostitution law reads as follows:

"A person is guilty of prostitution when he engages or agrees or offers to engage in sexual conduct with another person in return for a fee."

"Sexual conduct" is defined as:

"...sexual intercourse or any act of sexual gratification involving the sex organs."

I don't think there's a jury in the state that would even consider the highly suspect "intangible" nature of virginity to be relevant. Somebody paid her to have sex.

Other states' mileage may vary.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion