tuscl

Do you really think we save any energy on Daylight Saving Time?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:20 AM
I don't. I flip on light switches most of the time and it doesn't matter if the time changed. I'd rather stay on Daylight Saving Time and have an extra hour of daylight in the evening year round. I don't care for changing times twice a year. Not changing times would save the economy money in my opinion. I've read that there are a lot more serious accidents when we lose an hour of sleep in the Spring. I beleive if I remember correctly that results in over 2,600 lost work time hours. That doesn't include pain and misery of the entire population from losing sleep. The same study I read indicated moving the clock backwards did not result in any loss of sleep or increased accidents. Who's for not changing the time? I think it costs the economy money to keep changing it.

13 comments

• Dougster
    14 years ago
    Daylight saving time is totally gay, that's for sure.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Sweat baby sweat baby sex is a Texas drought Me and you do the kind of stuff that only Prince would sing about So put your hands down my pants and I'll bet you'll feel nuts Yes I'm Siskel, yes I'm Ebert and you're getting two thumbs up You've had enough of two-hand touch you want it rough you're out of bounds I want you smothered want you covered like my Waffle House hashbrowns Come quicker than FedEx never reach an apex just like Coca-Cola stock you are inclined To make me rise an hour early just like Daylight Savings Time "The Bad Touch" Bloodhound Gang
  • arbeeguy
    14 years ago
    We probably do save some energy. But more important, for most everybody except the amateur astronomers, we gain quality of life. We have longer evenings for adults to have barbecues and kids to play tag. (Assuming that kids still play tag in this Digital Age.) But skywatchers HATE daylight savings time because they have to wait another hour before it is dark enough for the stars to shine.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Daylight Savings Time is for energy savings? I thought it was so farmers can farm an extra hour?
  • jabthehut
    14 years ago
    Adding daylight to afternoons can benefit retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours, but can cause problems for farming, evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun. As far as safety, some estimates are that auto fatalities are reduced 5% during DST.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    Lots of kids have to walk to school (or stand at the bus stop) at daybreak during standard time. Under DST, those same kids would likely be in the dark.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    Our schools are still on an agrarian schedule. This is why schools need to swing away from that and go 9a-5p and year round instead of following centuries old practices (i.e. Spring Break is meant for planting).
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    The U.S. Dept. of Energy concluded in a 2008 report that the 2007 U.S. extension of DST saved 0.5% of electricity usage. Retailers, sporting goods makers, and many other businesses benefit from the extra afternoon sunlight during DST, which causes customers to shop & participate in outdoor afternoon sports. Fortune magazine estimated that a seven-week extension of DST would yield an additional $30 million for 7-Eleven stores, and the National Golf Foundation estimated the extension would increase golf industry revenues $200-300 million. In 1995, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety estimated a reduction of 1.2% in traffic fatalities during DST, including a 5% reduction in crashes fatal to pedestrians. [view link] [view link] [view link]
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Funny how this country came from nothing to become the greatest country in the history of mankind WITHOUT the "help" of DST. Now that we try to micro manage every fucking facet of ever fucking thing, it just keeps getting worse!
  • casualguy
    14 years ago
    I read that study again. A government study was done on the Mining industry that showed an increase of over 2,600 lost work days due to increased accidents due to losing an extra hour of sleep on Mondays following the time change (over 24 years). Other factors were eliminated and more accidents did happen on the Mondays following the time change. I do like an extra hour of sunlight in the evenings. I'd rather just stay on this time instead of changing it twice a year. The government might be claiming an energy savings in 2 households out of a thousand. Meanwhile some poor guy just spent a few thousand due to an auto accident he had due to less sleep. If our government thinks this is cost effective, maybe we should change the time every day and require everyone who wrecks to pay several thousand. The government could really save money then. (sarcasm).
  • how
    14 years ago
    If anyone thinks there is some great need for DST to save a few megawatt-hours of energy, that's just sad. Clubber has it right (again) -- the central government is in the micro-management business. And so far as people may tie this to "global warming" -- if you believe humans cause catastrophic climate change by emitting "greenhouse gases," do your part and stop breathing. That would make the world a better place. If you try to charge me for a solution to your make-believe climate crisis, I'll help you with that...
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    I'm tired of agrarians, bring on some librarians.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    What's with this death wish for all that oppose your far Right-wing views "how"?? Can you say melting pot?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion