tuscl

StripperMobile grounded, but grinding strippers will return

TAMPA, Florida - StripperMobile, the strip club on wheels, will not return to the streets of Tampa Friday night as originally planned.

City officials put the brakes on the mobile advertisement for the Déjà Vu gentlemen's club because of registration issues with the truck's Nevada license plate.

During an extended conversation between the city's lawyers and the club's lawyers - described as "pleasant" by both sides - the topic of the suggestive dancing by the bikini-clad women on the back of the truck was also brought up.

PHOTO GALLERY: StripperMobile rolls through Tampa

"We discussed a compromise to alleviate the concerns expressed by some of the more conservative (people) in Tampa," said Luke Lirot, lawyer for Déjà Vu, located on E. Adamo Drive.

He said when the registration issue is corrected and StripperMobile returns to the streets, the club will respect the city's wishes for appropriate "coverage" on the women. They will also abstain from specific "performances" through certain areas of Tampa.

"We'll modify performances based on the presumption of the demographic in certain areas," Lirot said.

But Lirot also gave credit to the city for respecting the club's First Amendment right to operate StripperMobile. Déjà Vu agreed to limit the vehicle's operation to only bar districts after 10 p.m.

Earlier in the week, Tampa Police determined the club wasn't violating any major laws by driving around popular nightspots with the women dancing suggestively on poles and against a large Plexiglas window.

But their concerns led to a sit-down meeting on Friday afternoon with representatives from the club. There's no word on how long it will take Déjà Vu to rectify the registration issues.

The grinding on StripperMobile was grounded once before; officials in Las Vegas not-so-graciously pushed it out of town last year.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.asp…

4 comments

15 years ago
    Isn't Luke Lirot Joe Redner's lawyer (owner of Mons Venus) also?
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    Lirot has shown up in a lot of defend-the-strippers litigation. Probably a man who enjoys his work ...
  • MisterGuy
    15 years ago
    LOL...they had a lot of strippers in this StripperMobile this time around...some of the pics are pretty funny:
    http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wt…

And then there's this:
    http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-02-18/…

"And there are the logistical questions. 'Wait. How are we supposed to strip when it's moving?' one of the girls asks. Her name is Mystique, and she could pass for a nanny, except she's wearing only lacy pink panties and a bustier. She tucks her hair behind her ears when she's nervous and talks compulsively about her devotion to Jesus Christ."

"Moral qualms aside, cops expect the biggest dilemma to be simpler. Says Miami-Dade Police Det. Alvaro Zabaleta: "'If they are dancing without seat belts, you're talking about a traffic safety violation.'"

Yea...dancing *with* seat belts...it's the latest fad...safety first!

"There's Kali, the pouty prom queen type who's pregnant ('I'm cold. This is embarrassing.'"

"Inside the Stripper Mobile, it's the opposite of sexy.

'What's that smell?' Kali asks as the engine starts. 'It's, like, toxic fumes.'

The others shrug and simultaneously light cigarettes, which fill the bus with enough smoke to asphyxiate a small pony. When a detector on the ceiling beeps — as it does often — the girls take turns spraying it with perfume. It does the trick but makes the place smell like a Chanel factory on fire."

"It makes it hard to dance, so they all adopt the same move: Grip pole, bend over, jiggle butt cheeks.

Still, they have fans. As the girls pull into a Shell gas station, they score a thumbs-up from an older woman with exactly one tooth. She snaps a photo with her cell phone and scampers back to a truck to show her husband."

"'Mystique is very playful and flirty," she says of *herself*. 'But that's not me. My real personality is completely different. I am not sexually active; I don't even like sexual attention. And' — she warns — 'this is really deep, but I think of myself as a doctor of erotic physical therapy. I perform stimulating exercises.'"

"One of the strippers suggests they 'should do girl-on-girl while there's a crowd,' and they begin to air-hump each other to Top 40 radio. When a commercial comes on, they are stuck grinding to a Wendy's ad, which makes things a little awkward."

And then there's this:
    "Peek Inside the Stripper Mobile, Where It's Safe to Say Nobody Is Reading Nietzsche"
    http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2…

The girls all seem to be having a great time...especially the booty-poppin' girls...lol...

I think they need a slot on the outside of the bus for singles...
  • potheadpl
    15 years ago
    Yes, Luke Lirot is Joe Redner's lawyer. He's pretty much the go-to-guy for any First Amendment issue in Tampa.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion