tuscl

LINCOLN PARK: Hustler club's opening night 'exceeded expectations'

LINCOLN PARK — While there was much hype over the grand opening of a controversial strip club Tuesday night, the only excitement that occurred took place inside once the doors were open and the tops were dropped.

Police officers were ordered to work overtime in anticipation of a large 7 p.m. protest outside the Larry Flynt Hustler Club at John A. Papalas and Outer drives.

However, only one man braved the cold to voice his displeasure of women baring their breasts in the $7 million club.

Shouting “pervert” at people as they paid $6 to valet park and another $10 to get inside, Nathan Carone said his hometown is turning into a “hellhole.”

Now that Hustler is open, the 33-year-old resident said he fears for the safety of his 11-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter.

“When places like this open up, drug use goes up, prostitution goes up and nothing good comes of it,” he said. “I pray to God that this thing gets closed down. God is all-powerful.”

Carone said he is a member of an area church, but declined to say which one. He said he feels let down by the religious community that fought the club from the very beginning, but failed to attend Tuesday night.

“I'm the only one here,” he shouted as he walked across the street from the Hustler club, holding a handmade sign. “No one else cares about this. … Call me a lunatic. Call me crazy. I don't care. One day, they will be judged for their sexual perversions. Turn back to the Lord.”

Carone stood outside for an hour before calling it quits. Four other men — including two area pastors — also briefly visited the site before the night was over to protest the club's opening.

One of the men, who refused to identify himself, launched a Web site against the Hustler club and encouraged people to show up nightly outside the club with their video cameras.

The plan, according to the Web site, was to record the license plates of the vehicles going into the club and then post the video online “for the world to see … who is going there.”

That plan, however, lasted less than 48 hours.

Disgusted with the lack of support from area churches, a Thursday posting on the Web site said he was ending the nightly protests and videotaping sessions.

“No one from other (churches) or the (Downriver) community got up and out of (their) comfort zones and showed up to do anything, so we the few give up,” it read.

Steve Miller said he isn't embarrassed about going to the club and already has raved about it to some of his buddies who were unable to be there on opening night.

“People protesting wouldn't stop me from going there,” the 33-year-old Taylor man said. “It's legal. There's nothing wrong with it.”

Miller and some of his friends mingled with the 70 or so women working inside the club on opening night, and said he was impressed with the level of customer service.

“From the minute I pulled up to the door, everyone was welcoming you to the club, asking if you had any questions, giving you a tour of the place,” he said. “It was awesome. I thought it was very clean, very professional. Just a real nice atmosphere.”

Miller said he doesn't buy into the argument that these types of establishments will hurt the city, especially considering that the club is in an industrial area and away from neighborhoods.

“I don't think it's bad for the city at all,” he said. “It brings in taxes, jobs, and helps these college girls out. I don't see anything bad about it.”

While Miller said he visits strip clubs about five times a year, he's already decided where he'll be spending his money during those visits.

“I don't think I can go anywhere else now that I've been there,” he said. “Compared to other clubs, Hustler is a lot nicer place. It reminded me of a Las Vegas club.”

Before opening to the public, club owners gave a tour of the facility exclusively to The News-Herald Newspapers. In part, they said, they wanted to showcase the work and money that they've put into the club as evidence that they're going to ensure that nothing illegal goes on inside.

“My client invested a substantial amount of money into the facility, and they intend to run a club that doesn't compare to any in the area,” club attorney Peter Joelson said.

He said opening night “exceeded expectations,” but was unable to provide an official patron count.

Police officers from Lincoln Park and Melvindale circled the area several times in their patrol cars, but no incidents were reported.

City Manager Steve Duchane said the city will net about $60,000 a year in taxes from the Hustler club.

While the city and the strip club have battled in court over the last couple of years, Duchane said, he's confident that all issues have been worked out and doesn't expect problems.

“Any legally operating business following the rules of the community is going to be treated in a fair and businesslike manner,” Duchane said.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/20…

3 comments

• Drippy
    15 years ago
    I look forward to seeing a review from someone who has been here.
  • judyjudy
    15 years ago
    i would love try out this club...however i know it is not possible
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    why do you say that beautiful judyjudy?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion